Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off, I was riding my bike into work when my headlights slowly cut out and my check engine light cut on, which was then followed by my dash cutting off, and then battery was dead. I charged up the battery which is relatively new and it holds about 12.8 volts so I know that's good and the issue is with the battery charging. The battery also held good voltage when cranked over. I checked the battery voltage while the bike was idling and it read 11.97 volts roughly so i believe the issue is with the rectifier. I went ahead and checked the resistance for the 3 white stator wires which all read 0.4 ohms. Before I drop the cash and buy a new oem rectifier, I wanted to check with y'all to see what everyone thinks. Also for some reason my indicator fuse blew when all of this happened as well. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Before you drop the cash, you should pull off the generator cover and inspect the generator assembly. It's very common with this gen for the magnets to come unglued. If that looks good, make sure to check the stator and r/r separately. The stator check is the resistance check you did, but should be between .14-.18 ohms. Voltage coming from the R/R should be about 14V @5kRPM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Well I went ahead and pulled off the generator cover and this is what I found. No wonder I was getting zero voltage. And f**k one of the six plastic spacers fell down into the block as well.. Guess I have a fun project ahead of me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If anyone knows the best way to maybe get that plastic block out without tearing the bottom of my engine apart, please let me know!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Shouldn't need to pull apart the block, it should have fallen straight into the oil pan. You'll have to remove the exhaust to drop it, but you'll want to do it anyways to clear out any of that debris.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
641 Posts
For the record, when you replace that generator make sure you get the updated part. Despite never offering a recall, Yamaha did redesign this part as it's a known problem. Also take the time to replace the inner and outer bearings that the generator inserts into. If they haven't crapped out already, they will...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the great info so far. I've already ordered the new updated rotor. Hopefully I'll be able to save the stator but I'll try to clean it up after I get off work tomorrow. Do you have any tips for clearing out all that debris?

·
Registered
641 Posts
... Do you have any tips for clearing out all that debris?
As far as getting the stuff off the stator, just take your time. It's tedious, but not difficult, to pick everything off by hand.

Something else I forgot to mention is to pay attention to the order and direction of washers when disassembling the generator. One or two people here have run into trouble reinstalling because they had collar flipped the wrong way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got around to pulling out the inner bearing, which definitely does not spin too smoothly. But when trying to get the stator off the cover I managed to strip the last bolt so now I've got that to deal with..

At least the stator looks relatively undamaged and cleaned up nicely.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any recommendations as to where I can get those torx stator bolts without having to pay insane shipping or wait on them forever?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Any recommendations as to where I can get those torx stator bolts without having to pay insane shipping or wait on them forever?
Dealer? If you haven't already ordered the new generator, I'd just lump it in with that to make the shipping worth it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just went ahead and ordered the new bolts. I managed to drill the head off the stripped bolt and take off the stator, now I just need to figure out the best way to get the rest of the bold out.

Also the stator has some scuffs from when the magnets broke apart, do you believe it will still be fine to use? And thank you for all the help you've given me so far!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Scuffs don't look bad at all. Doesn't appear to be any burn marks either so I think it looks good. Depending on how much bolt you have to work with you can try locking pliers, cutting a groove w a dremel + flat head screwdriver, or get a bolt extractor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Getting everything slowly back together now. Just having issues sliding the new rotor back into the case. Seems like none of the gears really want to all line up together, the rotor isnt wanting to slide in all the way

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just kidding. The con rod was in the way so I put the bike in 6th and rolled it until it was out of the way.

Anyways, got the bike back together, put some fresh oil in it and started her up. Shes running great now and the batter voltage is around 13.94 ish volts. Think that's acceptable?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Sounds about right iirc. I assume that's at idle? Should go above 14V at around 5k rpms

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah that was at idle, my heart was pounding enough when I first started it I didn't want to rev it up much.

Just wanted to say thanks again for helping me out! I appreciate it a lot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts