Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you checking the battery voltage at idle or did you check it while the bike is throttled up to about 5k rpm? If i remember correctly 12.8v is considered normal at idle.
I even replaced the 15 fuse for starter selonoid with a 30 fuse to see if it made a difference being that the red wire from the R/R goes down on the right side of the bike to the starter selonoid and then up towards the batt. And nothing

·
Registered
27 Posts
I even replaced the 15 fuse for starter selonoid with a 30 fuse to see if it made a difference being that the red wire from the R/R goes down on the right side of the bike to the starter selonoid and then up towards the batt. And nothing
Could be minor, but did you clean ground contacts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe you can verify the ground by checking resistance. With the connector to engine. Some folks may say you can check continuity, but this will not tell you the strength of your ground. If this doesn’t work, I’m stumped unless there is a fuse I don’t know about. Lol. These kinds of things are hard without touching the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah your right. I’ve done countless continuity test on the wires and they all check out good. No open wires. but the strength I Believe is where my problem could be..
After I cleaned all the ground contacts like you told me too I noticed that the BLACK/GROUND wire got hot and the RED/POSITIVE wire didn’t get hot.

do you think if I run a ground wire to the battery if that would fix my problem. Because the ground wire on this bike (08 R1) is funny it’s changed gages thru out the wire harness

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, the stator has to have a good ground. I can’t say as I like to have things as factory as possible when it comes to wiring so it’s easy for me (I don’t have to remember anything special. As much of pain as it could be, I’d take a wire drill bit, and clear points of contact for the stator. Sometimes oil leaks, grime, rust, can inhibit the ground and create lots of unwanted resistance. If your problem isn’t the ground, I’m at a loss and will have to bump.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I know you mentioned that you purchased a new reg/rec but it might be worth it to double check the resistance of it, just to verify that it's definitely not an issue

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did the bias test on the rectifer and it’s checking out good . At this point bro idk what else to do besides sending it back to the company see if theres something I’m doing wrong

21 - 34 of 34 Posts