Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
I just recently purchased a 2007 R1 that's in pretty good condition with only 1 real issue. When the clutch is pulled in or the bike is in neutral and a very small amount of throttle is given, the rpms will bounce up to 4-5k and hang there after the throttle is released.
To get the rpm to drop the throttle has to be blipped.

I've already checked out the cable and that is not binding. I also couldn't see anywhere any obvious spots a vacuum leak would be. If anyone has any insite it would be greatly appreciated.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,329 Posts
Isn’t the 07 flyby wire?? I’d check the linkage that opens up the throttle assembly under the tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it is, the throttle cable is attached to a TPS and the throttle bodies are attached to another TPS and a motor for the butterfly valves. I checked the diag system and all sensors are reading within the correct range. The owner before said he replaced both TPS's before selling it as well.

I'm starting to think it may be a faulty ECU? I know it was flashed and tuned, but I keep failing to find anyone else that has had a similar issue.

·
Save a life, grope your wife!
1,482 Posts
I never had this problem when I had my 07, but IIRC, there should be a procedure to adjust the TPS. The PO replaced them, but were they adjusted/calibrated as well? I know on my carburated FZ this will happen if the TPS is out of adjustment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I never had this problem when I had my 07, but IIRC, there should be a procedure to adjust the TPS. The PO replaced them, but were they adjusted/calibrated as well? I know on my carburated FZ this will happen if the TPS is out of adjustment.
Likely this is the issue. The TPS should be adjusted. Search the forum for this procedure, it’s gonna require removing the butterflies to access the screw on the tps to adjust it. It’s gotta be in spec on open and closed throttle. My 07 with a flashed ECU likes the closed value to be 17. Up to you based on mods. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit busy with work. But the TPS's both read 16 when closed and 100 when open and there are no dead spots either, so I don't believe they are the issue.

I was told by a coworker to check out the IAC. Do y'all think this going bad would cause the bike to rev so high?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You don't have an iac it's just done through the throttle body's he sounds like a car guy who may have owned a Honda or a mustang in the past. The throttle bodies don't fully close like on cars they stay open a tiny percent to control idle so you don't have to have a secondary motor that adds weight to do just the idle circuit, also it's hard to use an iac when there is 4 individual throttle body's instead of a common plenum

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would make sense, hense why I couldn't find any information about it online haha.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
So an air leak is usually the most probably cause of an issue like you have. 4-5 is slightly high for just an air leak but it is possible although it makes me wonder if the bike has a power commander or has had the ecu flashed because a richer idle combined with an air leak would hit that range especially with how some people flash the bike and like it to dwell a little higher for engine braking reasons. There are videos on YouTube on how to check for them with carb clean I would do that and fix what you find then see how it is. Even if you have a Power commander don't start taking it out yet because just that won't cause this alone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The previous owner did have the ecu tuned and flashed previously for a full exhaust and a quick shifter so that does sound like the most likely culprit. Do you prefer using carb cleaner? I've heard of people using propane as well, but living in an apartment it might be sketchy keeping it inside lol. Either way I'll give that a shot next, thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update: Took it to a shop and they were able to solve the issue. They cleaned out the throttle bodies, but now it has a dragging clutch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
5 Participants
WhiskeyThrottle
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing