Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good price for a 2007 R1 from a private seller? The dealer book value is around $6200 & the seller is asking $6500... I was thinking $5800 might be a good price or is that too much for a bike with 30k miles?

The main issue is the cel being lit due to the cat/exup delete along with a few cosmetic issues, such as a missing air box cover.
He's only had the bike for a few months and doesn't really have any information to pass along from the previous owner.

These are the only pics he sent.

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
6,025 Posts
Well let's see, it's not only missing the airbox cover, it's missing the ram air covers, the rear seat lock, can't tell if the front brake fluid reservoir is mounted to anything, the CEL may be from the missing EXUP or it could be something more. The last pic has rusted bolts, missing bolts, incorrect bolts and f*ckered up rearsets that may or may not be for that bike, with a bastardized heelguard being used as a MC mount. Either the current owner or one of the previous owners screwed this bike up, I would either look for a different one or offer $4k to allow for the money to put this thing right. It's a 14 year old bike that needs work. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well let's see, it's not only missing the airbox cover, it's missing the ram air covers, the rear seat lock, can't tell if the front brake fluid reservoir is mounted to anything, the CEL may be from the missing EXUP or it could be something more. The last pic has rusted bolts, missing bolts, incorrect bolts and f*ckered up rearsets that may or may not be for that bike, with a bastardized heelguard being used as a MC mount. Either the current owner or one of the previous owners screwed this bike up, I would either look for a different one or offer $4k to allow for the money to put this thing right. It's a 14 year old bike that needs work. Good luck.
I was thinking it should probably be a pass, especially with the exterior obviously not taken care of the way it should be and the extremely limited history of the bike.

Prices around here for used bikes are crazy, I purchased my first bike back in 09' for $9K OTD and I still see people asking $7K-$8K for 09's

Anyway thanks for the response, I think I'll just keep looking...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd offer the guy 3,500 and walk away unless he bites
Probably just going to pass on this one, there's way too many unknowns... I guess I just needed some reassurance that it wasn't a good deal. Sometimes I get so set on purchasing something I just hand over the cash without putting enough thought into it lol

·
I miss my R1
3,553 Posts
To put things into perspective, I traded in my 07 R1 w/ a couple of tiny scratches from a stationary tip-over and got the equivalent of $2,500 USD for it :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
As mentioned above, it does appear that is has not been cared for, if the exterior has been un cared for maybe the mechanics have never been looked after..
It looks like one of those bikes that are bought, used hard, then sold on in a short space of time..
Yes you could bring it back to be a great bike but it would be like going out with an old prostitute :)
Keep looking the right bike will turn up ..
Cheers

·
Registered
696 Posts
Probably just going to pass on this one, there's way too many unknowns... I guess I just needed some reassurance that it wasn't a good deal. Sometimes I get so set on purchasing something I just hand over the cash without putting enough thought into it lol
where are you located ? I am selling my 2007 R1

·
Horsepower whisperer
1,539 Posts
Aftermarket plastics? No thanks.

Reactions: bsgesch

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nah bro, I am in California near Magic Mt.
no price will be worth you traveling here for a bike......
good luck and I am sure that the right bike will come your way....
Yeah, when I said I'm willing to travel for the right bike I meant on the east coast preferably lol

Thanks though man, I really appreciate it... The hunt continues!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts