Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I amjust starting to ride my 2008 R1

1) Overheating. Anyone had this problem? My coolant level looks a little low from the dealer but when hot it is midway between high and low and not the problem I suspect. At bike week tooling in traffic the fan is constant and the engine runs 221-232F which is not too odd to me. But as soon as I would turn her off and talk to my partners a second the overheat light would come on and she would be 242F plus. At first this had me freaking out but then I started her one time with the light on and the temp dropped 20 degrees almost immediatly and the light went off. She never overheated while riding so I figure this is just a touchy yamaha situation.

2) Handling. I'm a big cat and have not set the suspnsion yet but figured I could ride a little before getting around to it. Feels a little bumpy on the highway but lovely in the curves so I wasn't in a hurry to adjust. Well now I have a ROUGH intermittant shudder upon hard braking. First happened when unloading from Myrtle. I hit a yellow light but had someone following me so I stopped and it shuddered and shook hard as hell. At first I though I bent a rotor in shipping but could not reproduce it so I figured it was just a bad patch of road. Now it has happened a few times since on moderately heavy braking. I am wondering am I bottoming out my forks? What else could this be? I don't wanna wait for this to bite me in the rump when I REALLY need to stop so I might have to send her to a shop.

·
R1 is yummy
553 Posts
You may well be bottoming the forks, but I can tell you I had a judder problem on braking hard with my 07 with the standard brake pads. After I changed them out for some better aftermarket ones the problem was solved (and the brakes worked much better). Don`t know if this is your problem but its the first thing I`d check.

·
I want some cake!
247 Posts
2 wheels are always better than one

I've had that heating thing but it wasn't an issue. Basically the thermometer is still reading heat though the engine isn't running. Leaving the bike on with the engine off sets off the fans which just circulate hot air. Turn the bike off completely and you're good.

And with the braking I have to ask - are you using the rear when braking as well? Some advise it's not needed but it's a big misconception. The rear is needed because it makes braking even leveled. Especially with street riding. Play with your suspension and maybe make it more stiff in compression? It's a trail and error thing with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Overheating

I have the 08 raven R1....and it's been driving me insane with ther overheating issue. It gets so hot when I come to a red light even if people surrounding me are at 175-200, my bike is running at 225 and higher. Dont know what to do, thought about calling my dealer and getting it looked at. I thought also about buying the aftermarket coolant that they sell like (http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp) but I really don't think Yamaha intended for this to be running like this. Sometimes it shuts off and will not start until it's completely cooled off. Anyone else have any input?

·
I want some cake!
247 Posts
Options

I have the 08 raven R1....and it's been driving me insane with ther overheating issue. It gets so hot when I come to a red light even if people surrounding me are at 175-200, my bike is running at 225 and higher. Dont know what to do, thought about calling my dealer and getting it looked at. I thought also about buying the aftermarket coolant that they sell like (http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp) but I really don't think Yamaha intended for this to be running like this. Sometimes it shuts off and will not start until it's completely cooled off. Anyone else have any input?
When I worked at a Yamaha dealer A friend/customer of mine wanted to kill the heat. This is what we came up with and it helped.

He got ride of the catalytic converter by replacing it with an Akraprovic mid pipe (you still keep your EXUP this way). Then he purchased the GYT-R carbon fiber pipes. He also used a coolant called Blue Ice (didn't make that much of a difference). With those few steps his heat factor dropped pretty substantially. I plan on doing the exact same thing to mine.

Nothing though I realized will get rid of heat. Especially at a full stop. I think all motorcycle riders just learn to eat the crow.

He rides an 07 R1.

·
Registered
2 Posts
RE Overheating

So you don't think it's an issue with my specific bike or something that a Yamaha dealer needs to take a look at? I mean...it would literally get so hot that it would shut off and make me have to wait until it's cool enough for me to turn back on...

·
Banned
240 Posts
Just take it back to the dealership, there is warranty, don't waste your time and money. and mostly, once you alter anything, it could void the warranty

·
Registered
23 Posts

1) Overheating. Anyone had this problem? My coolant level looks a little low from the dealer but when hot it is midway between high and low and not the problem I suspect. At bike week tooling in traffic the fan is constant and the engine runs 221-232F which is not too odd to me. But as soon as I would turn her off and talk to my partners a second the overheat light would come on and she would be 242F plus. At first this had me freaking out but then I started her one time with the light on and the temp dropped 20 degrees almost immediatly and the light went off. She never overheated while riding so I figure this is just a touchy yamaha situation.

2) Handling. I'm a big cat and have not set the suspnsion yet but figured I could ride a little before getting around to it. Feels a little bumpy on the highway but lovely in the curves so I wasn't in a hurry to adjust. Well now I have a ROUGH intermittant shudder upon hard braking. First happened when unloading from Myrtle. I hit a yellow light but had someone following me so I stopped and it shuddered and shook hard as hell. At first I though I bent a rotor in shipping but could not reproduce it so I figured it was just a bad patch of road. Now it has happened a few times since on moderately heavy braking. I am wondering am I bottoming out my forks? What else could this be? I don't wanna wait for this to bite me in the rump when I REALLY need to stop so I might have to send her to a shop.
So you don't think it's an issue with my specific bike or something that a Yamaha dealer needs to take a look at? I mean...it would literally get so hot that it would shut off and make me have to wait until it's cool enough for me to turn back on...
well surrounding temp is a factor too rite? so is the temperature at ur countries gets as high as 30-33 degree?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Not an 08, but will share my experience... (2004 model)

Initially, I had same sorta thing going on. I simply changed to the Redline water wetter product. We are in the hotest part of summer (until mid to late July - then will gradually begin to cool down again) and I run at 162-163 degrees (F) non-highway. IF it gets to be alot of stop-n-go (with more stop than go), I can reach 219+ (takes a while though) and at that point the fans kick in. Once the fans kick in, the bike cools down pretty quickly and I have never (at this time) been able to have the temp exceed 223 degrees.

So - maybe unlike others - I DO see a corellation with lower temps and water wetter product (like 8-10 degrees running and significant even sitting still).

I also plan to do the following as a means to reduce the heat...
> Kill the CAT (gut it or replace)
> Have the entire exhaust either CermaKromed (ceramic coating) - or wrapped

I expect to see even more reasonable temps after these mods - but I am resonably satisfied with where I am now in comparrison to when I first got the R1! I thinkn the R1 has a rep for being very hot running or sitting. I notice the manual even seems to say that temps up to 242 degrees (the temp display does not flash a warning and temp warnig light is not displayed).

Jim

·
Who says a r1 is the underdog?
101 Posts
Believe me when I say the 04-06 R1 is ALOT better than the 07-08 R1. I had no problems with my 04 R1. It over heated a bit, but thats expected. Once I got my 07, this thing is just over heats at the most ridiculous times, even riding next to the ocean with a cool breeze at 35-40 mph....its stupid. I wrecked my 04, literally flew 10ft+ in the air, spinning and what not, landed on its side on the sidewalk. I put a new fairing stay and fairings on, nothing else and it ran just as good as it did before. No problems with it at all...this 07, 5500 rpm problem (finally fixed after a long debate with Yamaha), cuts off even after riding for an hour + when you are in traffic or coming to a red light when pulling in the clutch, the right side rear set WILL break, just a matter of time and Yamaha has said that the bike is SUPPOSE to overheat....BS....I'm going to pay my 07 off and get my 04 back. Because 1) No issues at all (never had a problem with the TPS), 2) it has more HP than the 05 or 06 for some reason and 3) my 04 was faster than my 07.

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
The R1 07 /08 runs hot :fact

but never ever did it cut out or show any lights, the hottest I ran was 120 celcius, fan came on at 116 celcius.

So I would say take it to your dealer.

you will feel the heat so gut your cats, ceramic coat your pipes, change to sythetic oil and put engine ice or a similiar after market coolant in.

:thumbup

Run a search in the forum, loads of info on this issue !

·
R1
328 Posts
it's my understanding that to meet the emission limits that new bikes have to meet these days to save the planet !

I think you will find that the ecu will lean out the a/f ratio when you hold costant throttle or roll of the throttle.
I assume that's the purpose of the narrow band O2 sensor that the R1 is fitted with to make sure the ecu does not lean out the mixure to the point of damage to the engine.
so i think running with a very lean a/f ratio and limited air flow around the engine will make for a very hot motor even on a windy day i would think as the fairing is designed for high speed so you would have to be moving at a pretty high speed for it work like it should and keep you going fast with limit drag while still getting rid of hot air around the engine.

I think if we are being honest with ourselves the 07/08 R1 are more a track bike than a street cruiser.

·
Registered
70 Posts
it's my understanding that to meet the emission limits that new bikes have to meet these days to save the planet !

I think you will find that the ecu will lean out the a/f ratio when you hold costant throttle or roll of the throttle.
I assume that's the purpose of the narrow band O2 sensor that the R1 is fitted with to make sure the ecu does not lean out the mixure to the point of damage to the engine.
so i think running with a very lean a/f ratio and limited air flow around the engine will make for a very hot motor even on a windy day i would think as the fairing is designed for high speed so you would have to be moving at a pretty high speed for it work like it should and keep you going fast with limit drag while still getting rid of hot air around the engine.

I think if we are being honest with ourselves the 07/08 R1 are more a track bike than a street cruiser.
i agree with you, my 08 runs hot when i sit but never exceeds 226 when the fans come on but i have to be cruising at about 65-70 to make it run at 160 , this is when its really hot out like 75 degrees plus besides that i dont have a problem even tho i would like it to be a little cooler

·
R1
328 Posts
yer.. if i cruise at 80km / 50miles an hour
tempreture for the most part is around
mid 80 low 90 degrees C
185 - 204 Degrees F
if i get to speeds above 100km / 63 miles an hour an above temp gets down to
72 degrees C
160 Degrees F even on a pretty hot day.

putt putt ....... around town and you will burn your Nuts !

·
NESBA CR / WERA #811
447 Posts
As for the heat issue, I'd go ahead and have a dealer check it out just to be safe. As long as your not loosing fluid, you should be OK. Maybe pull the thermostat and drop it in a pot of boiling water to test what temp it opens. It should open at 160 deg I believe.

As for your suspension, you really need to set your sag for your weight, but you can do an easy test. Put a zip tie on the inside tube just below the dust seal. Go do some hard braking and see where the zip tie moves. If it is at or near the base of the inside tube, add one or two lines of preload and a couple clicks of compression. Then test again.

·
Born to Kill
104 Posts
I'm having the same exact problem/issue. I talked to the yamaha service guy and he stated...are you losing fluids? "No" is the fan comming on? "yes" Well then you bike is fine.

I know that these bikes run hot. But I can't see them running around 210-220F when I'm just crusing around at 30-40 MPH. I would think I would have a lower temp. and when this is occuring, it's very cool outside (65-75F). I'm taking mine in this week to have it checked out. Even though I know they won't do anything

oh...and I have the y-pipe too....didn't help one bit, lol

As for the secoond part of your post. When you come to a hard stop...are you hearing / feeling a lound clunk? I need to get this checked out too. I'm hope it's not my head bearings comming lose already.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have an 08 also and it does run hot as well. These models the 07 and 08 have to big cats on them, so i would say get a power commander, and replace your midpipe, or gut them cats and your good to go!

·
Registered
88 Posts
well heres my 08 experience. i picked mine up , and headed for a good ride. on the way through town it temp light came on, and the temp started blinking. shut it off, and the temp skyrocked so i turned it on and let it idle. 10 minutes later it seemed the fans had finally gotten ahead of the heating problem and it started cooling down.(it was a fairly cool day also). move ahead to the end of the week, and i get a ticking sound. i have the dealer look at it, then they tear it apart because it is not a normal tick. my #4 intake valve was loose in the guide, and had worn half way through the stem. so the bike is down for 3+ weeks, and going to be down for a bunch more waiting for parts. The dealer gave me a new bike. the old one would run 30 deg hotter then any bikes around me at the time , the new one is on par with the rest, but the fans come on at a higher temp then my buddies bikes. there is still a tonne of heat that comes out from the seat, but now it runs like a normal bike should. I would go get yours looked at if it runs that hot, maybe you have the same problems.

·
Sand Bagger
203 Posts
I have an 08 also and it does run hot as well. These models the 07 and 08 have to big cats on them, so i would say get a power commander, and replace your midpipe, or gut them cats and your good to go!
Prolly the big reasons why. My '07 gets so darn hot! This is my 2nd R1 ('99) previous and never got hot like this. In the morning, warming up takes not even a minute and the temp is up there. I wonder if some "Water Wetter" would help a little.

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
Prolly the big reasons why. My '07 gets so darn hot! This is my 2nd R1 ('99) previous and never got hot like this. In the morning, warming up takes not even a minute and the temp is up there. I wonder if some "Water Wetter" would help a little.
The 99 model had the side exhausts and less strict emmision controls, the 07/08 had the underseat pipes with much a much bigger CAT.

Gut you CAT, fit a Y-pipe, change to synthetic oil and Water wetter will help. You can also wrap your pipes and / or ceramic coat them.

:thumbup

1 - 20 of 30 Posts