·
14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,260 Posts
damn that really sucks.....

·
Busa Pilot
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, at or below 2000. Riva Yamaha, seems to think it is in the valves, possibly the tensioner.

He broke it in a bit hard, I wonder if that has anything to do with it...

·
Administrator
25,184 Posts
All Yamaha motors have this ticking sound. It's normal. Seriously... it's normal.

·
Busa Pilot
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
No, the bike sounded fine, after 120 miles or so, it started to tick loudly.

Broke it in hard, maybe 75-80%. It's not in the rev range but how much strain you put on it. Let's say he loaded her up pretty good without bouncing off the rev limiter. He popped a few wheelies and stuff...

It was bad enough for the dealer to bring her in and tear it up. He ordered a new cam chain tensioner from what I understand.

This is his third R1, had an 03, 06 and this 08. We are by no means novices. I'm an expert mechanic and work on all my own bikes and work proffesionally as a marine mechanic on all kinds of engines, including Yamaha outboards.

Just looking for some insight. My bud is pissed to say the least.

I'm posting up since he is Agentinian and his "engrish be not dad gud" !!

·
Busa Pilot
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its normal im suprised he doesnt know that if its his third r1

Yo! It was not normal. Read the thread.

Bike ran fine, then started ticking loudly to 2000rpm. Dealer agreed that it was NOT NORMAL and did a teardown. Tensioner on order.

I rode his o3 and o6 R1s and never did they tick. I personally did not hear it. Just found out last night when I called him to ride that bike is in the shop.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yamahas have always and a "certain" tick, and it was NORMAL. Having been riding five (5) valve genesis engined bikes for 20years I can say that the light ticking heard mainly when the bike is idling is a normal occurance and nothing to worry about. If it is really LOUD, and u can hear and feel the knock of metal on metal, then it's prob something more than the light "yamatick."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.