Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The issue I am having Is my 2008 R1 is dying while riding the RPM dropped to 0 the bike cuts off For like a millisecond and because the bike is still in gear and the tires are still rotating at highway speeds the bike comes right back on I'm trying to find out a reason why the bike would cut off Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
flashed ECU by superbike unlimited,
(throttle based restrictions removed,
Race ignition timing (for premium pump gas),
YCC-T Race Throttle,
Reduce Engine Braking,
Fuel map for full graves exhaust system,
Adjusted radiator fan temps for more efficient cooling,
Adjusted rev limiter,
Bypassed the factory o2 sensor for better throttle response,
Adjusted velocity stack opening point,
Up-quickshift enabled)
FJ ECU quick shifter (up),
Full graves exhaust system with carbon fiber cans,
Vortex -1/+2 sprockets and 520 R3 racing chain,
Speedtech speedohealer,
Driven smog block off plates with PAIR system removed,
O2 sensor delete,

·
Registered
595 Posts
Lots of electrical mods there, and could be any one of those. Is there any pattern to when the bike cuts off? Certain speed/temp/RPMs? Aside from an electrical gremlins, I wonder if your ECU tune has somehow become corrupted and needs to be redone. Any recent maintenance performed?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check connections and wires make sure none are pinched between something and the frame, what work was done before this issue popped up, and a usual suspect for this is a kickstand switch or tipover sensor issue

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
around 50 to70 and 5 to 7k And Regular maintenance fluids spark plugs chain brakes throttle body synced

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 02 r1 just started doing the same thing today so I made it to my shop and was trying g to figure out if it was a lose wire or something with it in neutral I tapped the gas tank and it almost cut off did it 2 or 3 times almost shut off each time so thinking it's under the tank may be a fuel pump issue not sure try that and see if yours does it when you tap the tank

·
I rocked in Iraq
872 Posts
I had this same issue on my 2008 this week and I'm investigating today. I hope to have an answer later after I inspect some wiring.

I notice it died for just a fraction of a second several times while riding on the highway. It reminded me of the crank position sensor failure I had on my 2003, but no fault code was shown here.

I retrieved the fault codes and nothing was out of the ordinary so I have cleared them. I also lost speed indication a couple of times (but not while the bike cut out) so I am really thinking it's a loose connection somewhere.

The sub harness that goes to the gauge and lights up front can be problematic. I previously lost all headlight and panel lighting due to a poor connection on the red/yellow through plug A in the wiring diagram. It appears those connectors can be problematic as even when they are connected the pins don't make the best connection.

I'll update with anything I find interesting today.

·
I rocked in Iraq
872 Posts
Check connections and wires make sure none are pinched between something and the frame, what work was done before this issue popped up, and a usual suspect for this is a kickstand switch or tipover sensor issue
I am having the same issue with my 08 and was heading down the same path after looking at the wiring diagram and diagnostic chart. I seem to recall the tip sensor requires a key off/on to reset, so I assume that would put you on the side of the road. The kickstand switch I'm not so sure, but I did the diagnostic and it didn't trigger until it was more than half way down which seems difficult to achieve with just highway bumps but perhaps not impossible.

Inspecting wiring today. I'll post any significant findings.

·
I rocked in Iraq
872 Posts
Nothing significant to report. Cleared fault codes, popped off the left fairing and the tank. The wiring looked pretty good as I had just been through the bike doing plugs a month or so ago. No smoking gun, but I cleaned connections and cycled them each together 3x before finally snapping them together firmly and confirming a click of the lock.

ECU connectors
The 2 large FI connectors under the tank
Various other sub harness and headlight sub harness connectors

Now that I think about it, perhaps it was only at a certain throttle position. I'll do some more riding to see. I won't say the engine died, but it certainly felt like the throttle got chopped for a second. Perhaps a dead spot in TPS would explain this, but I could not find anything abnormal while running through the diagnostic several times.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No play in throttle cables? Calibrate TPS? No kinked fuel lines? Has ECU been flashed or is there a power commander/fuel tuner involved (which can fail)? Was there any work done recently prior to the issue arising?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
jared p
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing