Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I purchased a stolen / recovered 2008 R1 from the local auctions. Its a statutory write off (due to VIN being removed) but perfect for my purpose which is to put the motor and electrics into a light weight car.
Upon further inspection of the key chamber, 'someone' has had some fun, damaged the key barrel and put in a immobiliser bypass where the immobiliser transponder / transponder usually lives.
Please see picture.
The good thing is I got the original keys (or what I believe / have been told is the original keys) with the bike.

Question,
Are the antenna's coded to the system or just an antenna?
Can I purchase a new / second hand transponder antenna?

If it is coded, ill just keep the bypass and get a aftermarket immobiliser (need it for the car registration)
Located in Melbourne Australia.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you wanna make any changes, You'll have to buy a new ecu, keys, and ignition (with the immo antenna on it) for about 1800usd

Given you've dug this out of the housing, you either need to get another bypass (forget those keys. They're junk now, even if they're the original Yamaha keys that came with the bike; their matching antenna had already been removed, so you're not gonna get them working again without a lengthy and costly process with yamaha), or do as said in the previous paragraph..

Or just order and American harness ecu and ignition lock for about 450 usd

·
Registered
295 Posts
Nope. There's three components involved, at least. Maybe 4.

1. The chip in your key
2. The antenna ring around your ignition
3. The chip attached to your antenna ring (which op posted a pic of)
4. Ecu.

Take any of those out and replace it with another unit, and your bike won't start. This isn't theory being prostulated. This is hours of hard labor and suffering speaking.

Sent from my SM-A205F using Tapatalk

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,016 Posts
Nope. There's three components involved, at least. Maybe 4.

1. The chip in your key
2. The antenna ring around your ignition
3. The chip attached to your antenna ring (which op posted a pic of)
4. Ecu.

Take any of those out and replace it with another unit, and your bike won't start. This isn't theory being prostulated. This is hours of hard labor and suffering speaking.
yes from what i remember it, that anti-theft system is no joke, gets expensive when some punk tries to jack your shit.

local member had to replace all with a brand new kit, and it was a YAMAHA dealer ONLY install. not cheap.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
That's what the dealer tells you but it's bullshit. It's a cash grab and if you know how it works there is a lot of ways around it. Just send the ecu to get flashed and they can remove the immobilizer. You could also grab a USA ecu without the immobilizer and you switch a couple pairs of wires in the ecu plug to change the firing order since they swap them from factory so euro and USA ecu's won't swap. You can also just order a new ignition with the transponder in it, BUT you will have to have a locksmith take the lock apart and re-key it to the existing key you have IF that key matches the ecu then it should work but if you have the wrong key then your hooped and will have to go with one of the other methods. Looks like you need a new key anyways so that might be the way to go first and if it doesn't pan out then send it for the flash.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,016 Posts
what you are describing are 'work arounds' which effectively disable the security system. that does not make the system BULLSHIT.
you can consider it a cash grab but its not aimed at the rider, meaning most folks think oh you included this system to get $$$ off me after the fact.

uhhmmm... NOOOOOO!!! they made such a system so a would be thief would be deterred from jacking said bike!! it is meant to cost THEM a bundle!
they cannot easily resell it without automatically admitting the bike is stolen.. Hell seen as they are not the rightfull owner they cannot even walk into a dealer
and request the parts in order to carry out the repairs / damage caused purely to JACK THE BIKE in the 1st place!!!

what happens when OP wants to sell the bike down the road, ohh look my bike is special.. it doesnt have the oem BULLSHIT security system.
buyer: hey so is there anything i need to know about the history of this bike? OP: uhhhmmmm... i'm drawing a blank, what do you mean exactly? LOL

if i purchase an alarm system which disables the ignition and some idiot destroys my alarm in the process of trying to jack my bike,
but did not actually steal the bike.. guess what? i will happily call insurance and have them replace the alarm system, and i will get a
check in the mail one week later.. that is the system doing its job. :D

i dont know if you're on BCSB @andrewstclair , but the details were posted years ago, owner of a 2007/08 R1. He got insurance to cover the lot. :D

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I didn't say the system was bullshit the system works fine for what it's meant to do and that's stopping someone from being able to start it and ride away with it. What's bullshit is when dealers say there's no way to start the bike and you will have to bring it to them and spend thousands to get it running again. You can just but the parts from a dealer and do it yourself there's nothing where Yamaha says the dealer has to do the work. Yamaha doesn't care at all its just a cash grab from the dealer. Lots of guys take the system off when they track the bikes or use the motors for other projects like the OP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts