Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2008 R1 - Removing Cat & New Exhaust Suggestions

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  albertg 
#1 ·
Hi All,
It's been a while since my last post. I have a 2008 R1 that's currently stock. The bike has low mileage and runs very well.

I'm looking for forum suggestions to remove the CAT and stock exhaust and install a single small-medium exhaust on the right side near the swing-arm. The stock set-up is just too hot in the saddle for summer riding. I plan to keep the exup valve and would prefer not to have to purchase a device to upload a new MAP. I don't mind an exhaust a little louder than stock but would prefer something that has a nice deep exhaust note that's not raspy.

Appreciate forum advice. Thanks all...

Regards,

#2 ·
If you're having issues with heat, and don't mind keeping the stock exhaust you can get a cat delete pipe, or do it yourself for less. Just watch a few videos on how to empty the cat, and reinstall it. You can actually repack the stock pipes for better flow, much nicer sound, and it's not difficult at all. There are plenty of how too videos. They sell kits for the pipes to get repacked with a new internal pipe that will give it a nicer sound, and flow more for less heat gathering in the exhaust which is rising up, and bothering you.

#3 ·
As @BULL_R14ME said you can do the stock ones, just depends how much patience you have. A&R Motorsports used to sell the kit to do that. I had a set done which sounded alright but it seemed to run a bit worse, so you would probably need to get it tuned with a PC. The extra noise annoyed me after a day of riding so I put the stockers back on.
Here is an old thread about someone doing it to an 07

#4 ·
Hi All

I appreciate your replies/advise...always good to save a few $$ when possible. I'm a DIYer...I work on my home, bikes and truck as much as possible, so I don't mind diving in and doing mods with established instructions/how-to info.

I am tempted to try these R1 mods (gutting cat and race baffle mods in mufflers). I think the stock exhaust looks great, but my primary goal is to get the heat out of the seat (no more swamp a$$) and from the inside of my right leg. Also, I couldn't find the A&R Race baffle kit on-line for a 2008 R1....likely bc of the age/series of this bike. Also, I don't know if the baffle kit is necessary for heat reduction vs simply gutting the CAT.

From what I've read, a remap with a PowComm or other upload device (laptop) is recommended with this and other exhaust mods. I'm not sure if the stock ECM can be flashed with my laptop or at a bike shop vs buying a DIY device (I don't want the bike to run lean and toast the valves). I downloaded a MAP to my laptop and purchased a Dynojet device to upload a new MAP to the stock ECM on my '14 Road King when I changed the exhaust on that bike...all went well there. But...lots of $$ for a device that's married to single bike!!

I may try the suggested R1 mods (cat gutting and muffler baffles) to determine if the heat to the seat is reduced to my liking. I'd rather have no heat to the saddle or my right leg. I'm in the northeast US and Summer riding is hot/humid. I'm not a track guy...just like going out for day rides on the R1...all little more zing and a better workout than my Road King...LOL!

Alternatively, I guess I'm looking at purchasing a new mid-pipe without a cat and a small-medium size, low, side-mounted exhaust and flashing the ECM accordingly. I assume the stock O2 sensors would be used with a new midpipe. Perhaps a similar and less expensive alternative than a Graves Motorsports Yamaha R1 Moto1 Cat Back slip-on exhaust would be nice. I don't want anything insanely loud...so I'm likely to keep the baffle in whatever muffler is used. All experienced suggestions on this alternative for aftermarket equipment and re-mapping (if necessary) are requested and welcome. I plan to do the install myself, except perhaps if ECM flashing at a LBS is necessary. Don't want to spend more $$ than I have to...

Thanks again all...!!!

Regards

#8 ·
I'm running a set of '06 gytr slip ons on my '08. I like the end cap better than they end cap on the 07-08. They sound fine.

The cat delete made much more of a difference so far as the tone and volume go. Hell, a stock can would probably sound fine now.

Just my .02

#9 ·
Hey all,

OP here. Thanks for your replies/suggestions.

With my primary objective being removing the CAT and heat from the saddle on my 2008 R1, I am currently considering the mods below and request forum feedback.

Coffman Shorty Exhaust - Coffman's Yamaha R1 (07-08) Shorty Exhaust (coffmansexhaust.com) / This seems like the most cost-effective solution for which I am aware at this time. I spoke with Coffman. They indicated this exhaust would bolt directly onto the stock header. They mentioned that an ECM flash might be necessary if there was noteworthy decel popping and recommend downloading a map at the Power Commander site for an Arrow Slip-On Exhaust (or Graves slip-on exhaust). I will llkely have the ECM flashed by a LBS vs purchasing the PC device and flashing it myself. I'm not seeking the ultimate in performance but don't want to risk running lean and damaging valves. Thoughts on this exhaust and necessity for ECM flash?

Competition Werks Tail-Eliminator: Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator Kit Yamaha R1 2007-2008 | 10% ($14.99) Off! - RevZilla - While I like the looks of the CW "LTD" kit better than the CW 'Standard' tail eliminator option (see both at the link above), I read on some forums about riders with an "LTD"-type option being stopped by LEOs. Apparently, once the rear suspension is compressed by a rider's weight, the 'LTD' option obscures the license/tag which cannot be seen well at a distance of 50ft (a requirement in some states). I'm 6'0 and weigh 195lbs. I suspect the 'LTD' option might be a problem for me in Pennslyvania, so I may have to go with the 'Standard' kit. Anyone have specific experience in PA with the CW "LTD" version?

I look forward to forum replies for these Coffman and CW mods. Thanks all...!!!

Regards

#10 ·
I have the R&G Tail Tidy on mine with the standard indicators, puts the number plate where they can see it, been pulled over plenty and most have never said anything except for one dick that complained about the reflector stuck on the number plate (I didn't put it there). In Australia they will use any excuse to defect you or fine you so all good.

#11 ·
Bump... OP here...

Thanks R1 Learner and others.

Looking for some feedback on the Coffman Shorty Exhaust Coffman's Yamaha R1 (07-08) Shorty Exhaust (coffmansexhaust.com) for my 2008 R1 (see my info/questions regarding need for ECM flash in post #10 above). Anyone?

Also, I am now considering the Graves Fender Eliminator FEY-07R1-K Graves Motorsports Yamaha R1 Fender Eliminator Kit 2007-2008 which allows mounting of the stock turn signals. Anyone know if this product will also accept the stock tag light? This seems like a good option for tag visibility (LEO avoidance) and overall appearance since I plan to remove the stock exhaust and install the Coffman Shorty. Current price for the Graves is $39 and is worth the time/trouble vs fabricating something for a few dollars less.

Appreciate forum feedback on these Coffman and Grave products for my 2008 R1.

Thanks all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.