Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know the direction in which the 2008 r1 variable exhaust opens. If I turn the valve clockwise, does it open?

·
An R1 kinda day!
2015 Yamaha YZF R1 Raven Edition
872 Posts
I would imagine at idle it's closed. So, whichever the direction it could move from there would be the direction open.

I know this doesn't answer the question directly, but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would imagine at idle it's closed. So, whichever the direction it could move from there would be the direction open.

I know this doesn't answer the question directly, but I hope it helps.
To the right. Clockwise
Thank you. Now I understand. Looking at the YouTube video, I saw that it moves to the right when accelerating. Thank you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you. Now I understand. Looking at the YouTube video, I saw that it moves to the right when accelerating. Thank you.
From what I can tell, the video you watched is not correct. You probably watched the same video as I did, which cost me a whole day trying to reverse my cables. In the end, I read the service manual which which didn't explain the valve position very well, but verified that I had the cables in the correct position. Should've done this right from the beginning. I'm really not sure how this guy ended up having his EXUP rotating the other way.

When accelerating the valve should open anti-clockwise which is the open position. I have uploaded a video to YouTube so you can see. Would be good if you could confirm this on yours?

Video 1 - Bike Start and Idle (16) Yamaha 4C8 EXUP operation - YouTube

Video 2 - Valve opening during acceleration (16) Yamaha R1 EXUP Open - YouTube

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I can tell, the video you watched is not correct. You probably watched the same video as I did, which cost me a whole day trying to reverse my cables. In the end, I read the service manual which which didn't explain the valve position very well, but verified that I had the cables in the correct position. Should've done this right from the beginning. I'm really not sure how this guy ended up having his EXUP rotating the other way.

When accelerating the valve should open anti-clockwise which is the open position. I have uploaded a video to YouTube so you can see. Would be good if you could confirm this on yours?

Video 1 - Bike Start and Idle (16) Yamaha 4C8 EXUP operation - YouTube

Video 2 - Valve opening during acceleration (16) Yamaha R1 EXUP Open - YouTube

I saw this YouTube video and decided that the clockwise direction was correct. But I'm confused by your video. However, when I tested it in a counterclockwise direction, I found that the trail works well. If your video and cables are in the right place, you're probably right. Thank you. friend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I saw this YouTube video and decided that the clockwise direction was correct. But I'm confused by your video. However, when I tested it counterclockwise, I found that the popcorn pops well. If your video and cables are in the right place, you're probably right. Thank you. friend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I saw this YouTube video and decided that the clockwise direction was correct. But I'm confused by your video. However, when I tested it counterclockwise, I found that the popcorn pops well. If your video and cable are in the correct location, the video you showed seems to be correct. Thank you. friend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts