Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my name is Travis I love my R1s always been my favorite bike. I came across this forum and was hoping to join and learn new things and enjoy talking to y'all about bikes.

That being said I bought an 07 with only 3000 miles for good deal about a year and a half ago bike is fast as hell and stands up when u pull back on it but I know bike had a few owners and someone did some dumb stuff to it like putting a shorty pipe on it which melted some of the bottom fairing so I put stock pipes back on and had some scratches on it so it had been dropped but like I said bike still fast as hell and I loved it. Sadly my buddy dumped it and trashed the one side and cracked the motor case on july 4 so he bought it off me. This week I went out and bought an 08 with 5100 miles on it it's a beautiful bike but for some reason it doesn't seem as fast. I'll pull back and it has power but doesn't seem to wanna pull up and it doesn't take off as fast off the line as the 07. The guy I got the 2008 from was only second owner and had proof and said the bike is stock except a k&n air filter. I still have the 07 in my garage as I'm gonna help my buddy fix it. But what I was wondering is what could have been done to upgrade the bike to make it that much faster than the 08?

Sorry for the long ass post but anything helpful would be much appreciated thanks everyone

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,250 Posts
Dropping one tooth in the front and adding two to the rear and doing a 520 swap. (Sprocket and chain)

Do that and she will tear your arms off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dropping one tooth in the front and adding two to the rear and doing a 520 swap. (Sprocket and chain)

[/QU

Yeah? Haha I'm sure that'll add bottom end power and make her stand up but will that take power off my top end?

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,250 Posts
Yeah? Haha I'm sure that'll add bottom end power and make her stand up but will that take power off my top end?
You asked what had been done to the other bike to make her pull. I'll bet you lunch it was a chain swap. I doubt it's got a 7,000 dollar head job or anything silly like that.

Count the teeth.

You'd lose a couple mph off the top, but honestly bro, do you need 'em?

Edit: If you're just asking how to make moar powa that can be done too, but I doubt it was to the other machine.
To make more power you can, run a thinner gasket, deck the head, degree the cams in and get a tune. You'll probably spin a con rod bearing though. Stock these things are wound up pretty tight. To prevent spinning a bearing or damaging a rod you can get a set of pistons and rods (Carrillo rods and pistons are popular) but that is money. You can also get headwork done but that's money too.

Pro tip: you can split a stock gasket and make more power instead of paying extra for a thinner one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You asked what had been done to the other bike to make her pull. I'll bet you lunch it was a chain swap. I doubt it's got a 7,000 dollar head job or anything silly like that.

Count the teeth.

You'd lose a couple mph off the top, but honestly bro, do you need 'em?

Edit: If you're just asking how to make moar powa that can be done too, but I doubt it was to the other machine.
To make more power you can, run a thinner gasket, deck the head, degree the cams in and get a tune. You'll probably spin a con rod bearing though. Stock these things are wound up pretty tight. To prevent spinning a bearing or damaging a rod you can get a set of pistons and rods (Carrillo rods and pistons are popular) but that is money. You can also get headwork done but that's money too.

Pro tip: you can split a stock gasket and make more power instead of paying extra for a thinner one.
Gotcha man I see what ur saying that makes sense. Yeah I don't think anyone did anything crazy to it but I could see a chain swap. So what I just count the teeth on the chain to see if it's less?

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,250 Posts
Count the teeth on the front and rear sprocket.

When you do the valves (I'd do them now since you just got it and don't know where they are sitting, I like .006 intake and .010-.011 exhaust) and sync the throttle bodies it's a good time to decarbonise the head and install a thinner gasket. Oh, and inspect valve stems and guides and check valve seats. And get some molly back in the top end. That will tell you what you need to know about the top end of the motor and you can avoid valve train damage.

I know the mileage interval says 24,000 miles. We both know how people run these bikes. I'm going to cut the interval in half on mine after seeing another one. You know what they say, the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright cool guess I have s lot of work and learning to do not gonna lie haven't really done any of those things before so I guess to YouTube it is haha. And yeah I know people beat the hell out of them so I could see now being a good time to do these things before I beat up on it myself. I mean the guy I bought it from said he was scared of it and only put 1200 miles on it but still who knows

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,250 Posts
SERVICE MANUAL.

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT WATCH VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE TO LEARN HOW TO DO THE TOP END OF A 200HP SUPERBIKE. BAD HABITS AND SMALL MISTAKES ARE EASY TO MAKE AND HARD TO REMEDY.

Just get a copy of the service manual from the site here (thanks kevap, you rock) and give her a thumb through. If it feels outside your scope, hire the work out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts