Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a 2008 R1. I bought it abandoned and not running so didn't know much about it. Turns out it has been sitting for a while and the inside of the tank was rough to say the least. Got it cleaned up and discovered that the reason it had been siting more than likely was because the CAM positions sensor was cut from the fan. Replaced that sensor and still no luck cranking it. I currently have the throttle bodies off and was going to see if i'm getting any fuel spray from the injectors by hooking everything off with the throttle bodies off.

Am i on the right track? anything else i should look for? Also how in the world to you get to the middle allen bolt to re tighten it. Is the rubber under the throttle bodies really necessary or can i get rid of that to make it a little easier.

·
Registered
294 Posts
From your description of the tank, replace the fuel pump.
Get into diag mode and run all components you can there one by one. Troubleshoot and clear any error codes.
Your injector nozzles are likely to stuck closed. Take 'em out and flush them, or replace.
Throttle bodies being stuck has a low probability, but check while its out.
Check for rodent damage on your wires.
Check for cracks on you throttle body vacuum hoses. You'd do well to check on the hydraulic lines too later.
Take out and clean your spark plugs.
Get 5 to 10ml of oil to your cylinders through where you took the plugs out so youre more confident your rings aren't stuck and losing compression.

Off the top of my head, that's it for starting it up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From your description of the tank, replace the fuel pump.
Get into diag mode and run all components you can there one by one. Troubleshoot and clear any error codes.
Your injector nozzles are likely to stuck closed. Take 'em out and flush them, or replace.
Throttle bodies being stuck has a low probability, but check while its out.
Check for rodent damage on your wires.
Check for cracks on you throttle body vacuum hoses. You'd do well to check on the hydraulic lines too later.
Take out and clean your spark plugs.
Get 5 to 10ml of oil to your cylinders through where you took the plugs out so youre more confident your rings aren't stuck and losing compression.

Off the top of my head, that's it for starting it up.
I had the fuel pump out and apart and cleaned it pretty thoroughly and verified that its pumping pretty good do you think this should suffice for now? The only code I had on the ecm was 22 which is probably just not plugging something back in on the air box from what. Oil in the plugs is a good call I didn't think of that.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You should get the 22 fixed before you try restarting it anyways. You don't wanna start it, and then have to take off the air box to fix that.

At this stage, the fuel pump could still be the issue, but get through testing that fuel goes through and into everything first, and that you've got spark and air (clean or replace the air filter, vacuum hoses are good).

If trouble persists, get a pressure tester or (as I would), replace the pump

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
Aikuken
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing