Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've just bought a 2009 model, I bought it as a non runner with the hope of getting it mint for the summer..
Firstly this is what I know.. it was used daily and running well until one day some scummy little shits tried stealing it, they snapped the steering lock and butchered the ignition wiring, luckily the owner heard them and scared them off but by this point the bike was on the floor with the seat off and wires everywhere, he basically lost interest in the bike and it sat for a little over a year... I've charged the battery up and it seems to be holding ok (ill get a lithium one as I've read in other threads once i get it running).. the ignition barrel is intact and works I have both keys, now here's where my problems lie..
The bike won't start (I didn't expect it to!), basically I've joined the ignition wiring back up as a temp repair (Just to try and get it going) they are all well joined so connections are fine as a temp fix.. there seems to be something missing from under the seat, as you can see it the pic there is 4 black wires in a block.. whatever they plug into is missing, can someone please confirm what should be plugged in here?

Also whatever does plug in there is it possible that would cause the fuel pump to not prime or show any signs of life?..
I have removed the fuel pump and flushed the tank while I had the pump out I put a 12v feed to it on the bench to eliminate it and it works fine..
So just to confirm battery is charged, display and clocks all working, display doesn't dim when cranking, bike cranks over nicely but no life from fuel pump, is it to do with the missing part? What is the missing part? I'll be thankful to anyone who can offer me some advice
matt

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It won’t prime fuel without the air box on right? I don’t think you can get the pump to prime without that.
Hi, Thanks for the reply, There was no signs of life from the fuel pump when the with the airbox was on and connected

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to clarify when I said It doesn't prime I mean no signs of life feom the fuel pump when fitted to the bike... I've just done a check with the multimeter on the pump connector and it reads 0.3v with ignition on and 5.5ish volts when I'm cranking, don't know if anyone can make anything of that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a good car battery here and considered putting the jump leads on just to try but I was worried it would blow the ecu or something?.. if I put a + & - straight off the battery on the bike to the fuel pump, the fuel pump spins so with that and the fact the clock lights don't go dim when cranking i figured there's enough voltage in the battery.. do you have any idea what the block in the above photo with 4 black wires is supposed to go on to?

·
Venom X/O
23,666 Posts
12v is 12v just go battery to battery like you’re jumping a car. As for the 4 wires it’s hard to tell, but is that to the brake light and tag light maybe? It’s been a while since I’ve been in the tail of a 09, so I’ll let the pros make that call for sure

·
Premium Member
11,535 Posts

·
Venom X/O
23,666 Posts
That’s crap. It isn’t going to hurt it. I’ve read so many threads and articles and have never seen the “why.” It’s always “well that’s what I’ve always been told.”

The fear is always an explosion but that’s it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a good car battery here and considered putting the jump leads on just to try but I was worried it would blow the ecu or something?.. if I put a + & - straight off the battery on the bike to the fuel pump, the fuel pump spins so with that and the fact the clock lights don't go dim when cranking i figured there's enough voltage in the battery.. do you have any idea what the block in the above photo with 4 black wires is supposed to go on to?
I have an 09 also and your harness looks different then mine. I don't see those connectors. When you turn the key on and then push your killswitch to run, your pump should be triggered for a second and you can hear it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi pal thanks for you input.. yeah I suspected I should hear the pump run. As for those connectors it's strange because I can't find out any info on them anywhere I've looked, I got a strong suspicion they are why the pump doesn't show life. If I can eliminate them from the enquiries I'll order a new fuel pump relay and solionid to try.. and if that don't work that leaves me thinking ecu?
I don't mind shelling out to get the parts but I just dont wannna pay out on parts I might not need..
I think I'm going to run a separate 12v straight to the battery via a basic switch and sit everything back in place, then try cranking it and turning on the fuel switch, that way (in my brain) fuel should be pushed down to the carbs and it should start up. I think may throw up codes or run shitty but it should fire up just to check to motor runs? Am I on the right track anyone?..

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi,

Just saw your video. Your immobilizer antenna was busted when they tried to steal the bike. The Hi message where your temperature shows (instead of Lo) tells me this. You need to either get a new lock, key, and ecu set, or, contact Yamaha if they can get you an antenna and reprogram.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts