Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I originally joined to discuss an idle and throttle response problem with my new-to-me 2009 R1, which I now suspect is the ECU flash that the original owner had thrown in it. Through searching and some discussion with Tad158, I ordered the Flash Tune bike side harness so I can load the proper image file for my particular bike and adjust as needed. It's got a lot of really nice features for a pretty darn good price. I know the cost of tuneability is not cheap - I was pleasantly surprised!

I use the word build loosely, because there's not a whole lot going into this. It's going to be a fair-weather commuter and weekend back road cruiser, so mostly aesthetics and some minor up-grade stuff that can be linked to my OCD of having things overly perfect. The previous owner had pealed half of the OEM decals off the bike, which I don't overly care for. So I stripped off the remaining and ordered a factory replica set of vinyl decals from moto-stickers.com and threw some white wheel stripes at it. Upon trying to buff out a few scratches and blemishes, I've realized that the paint on this thing is extremely thin. I'm going to have a friend professionally clear-coat the entire bike after I get the decal set on. Should look like brand new!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

After owning a set of ball bearing supported rearsets, the sloppy stock bushed levers felt super cheezy. I didn't want to spend $500 on a set just to have slightly smoother controls, so I pressed the bushings out of the stock shift and brake pedal to replace them with bearings. It took all of 15 mins per side.... luckily 8x16x5 ball bearings fit perfectly into the pedals. Now they're slop-free and silky smooth!
Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Floor Road surface

The frame had some paint worn off right next to the shift pedal that I couldn't stand to look at. I made up a carbon guard to keep my boots from wearing it down any further. Can't decide whether to keep it glossy or throw some satin clear coat on it.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Carbon

Automotive tire Crankset Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

That's it for now. Once the decals and FT unit get here I'll post some more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While removing the fairings to have them touched up and cleared, I noticed the intake shroud and front fairing are melted around the headlights. Seems to be a common issue that Yamaha issued a kit for. The P/N has been discontinued and my dealer can't get them anymore. I found a kit on ebay, but it's not blue. I started making some shields, which will be cut to overhang the air scoop and sit just shy of flush with the blue fairing. I'll paint the overhung part to match the plastics. Hopefully this takes the heat without deforming.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Tire Automotive lighting
Rectangle Font Measuring instrument Gadget Beige
Road surface Wood Flooring Rectangle Floor

·
Venom X/O
25,811 Posts
While removing the fairings to have them touched up and cleared, I noticed the intake shroud and front fairing are melted around the headlights. Seems to be a common issue that Yamaha issued a kit for. The P/N has been discontinued and my dealer can't get them anymore. I found a kit on ebay, but it's not blue. I started making some shields, which will be cut to overhang the air scoop and sit just shy of flush with the blue fairing. I'll paint the overhung part to match the plastics. Hopefully this takes the heat without deforming. View attachment 1021603 View attachment 1021604 View attachment 1021605
I thought that was a warranty thing?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it was. Since it wasn't a re-call it's not on-going for the life of the bike though. Asking for warranty parts on a 12 year old bike was a stretch anyway. Hopefully this will be a good fix.

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,898 Posts
Cool. I am not sure they were a body matched color. I thought they were all black. There is also a translucent sticker for the actual lens part.

P.S. How the heck does your foot wear on the frame????? The ball of your foot should be on the peg, some 6" behind the frame.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The kit I found on ebay looked silver for the fairing portion, but it must have been the backing if they're translucent. If these don't look half decent I'll go that route.

I have no clue, but there is paint worn off the frame in the arc of the shift pedal.. maybe the original owner was a samsquanch lol. I've never personally worn into the frame, and I couldn't stand to look at it... so it got the cover.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Flash Tune stuff showed up yesterday and solved all of my idle and throttle response issues! I just stuck the bike half way out the basement door to verify, I can't wait to ride it and see the difference. I'm going to incorporate some of Tad158s throttle by wire maps settings. I'm relieved to have it running properly... now I can order parts without feeling guilt lol. Unfortunately today was our first snow :sick:. Off come the fairings and away to paint they go.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried getting an OEM seat cowl locally, but the dealer is showing discontinued. I reluctantly ordered an Amazon speical, and it's not terrible. The mounting bracket required a bit of trimming to fit. The paint finish is decent and the colour match is decent. Since I have the matched factory paint, I'm going to spray it anyway.

If you don't mind spending a few mins with a dremmel, this cowl is well worth it.
Blue Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part

Hood Blue Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I managed to fix all of the small blemishes using a small sprayer with matched paint from CarQuest using the code from Colorite. The decals arrived yesterday and I have started the install. The large white and black bottom portion is going to be a treat :rolleyes: I hope to have them clear coated before Christmas.
Hood Blue Yellow Automotive exterior Automotive design
Hood Table Automotive tire Drill Fender
Blue Purple Automotive design Nail Eyewear
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the clear coated parts back today. I messed up one of the decals, so the side panels will have to wait until the replacements come in. Couldn't be happier with the finish!
Hood Automotive lighting Purple Automotive design Automotive exterior
Bumper Font Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part
Hood Eyewear Automotive lighting Purple Automotive design

1 - 12 of 12 Posts