Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, theses are not the first USD forks ive done, but they sure are the first to give me grief.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to compress the spring (I do have the tool that goes on the spacer), and pull the damper rod up (dont have the puller). Ive seen the wratchet strap method, but how do I pull the damper rod up ?

1) when its all assembled and the spring is installed I only have 2" of compression with the tool before the tool hits the outer upper fork tube.

2) I dont have the damper rod puller the manual calls for to pull the rod up --- my main problem

I can get the rod/nut within 1" (or less) of the top of the spacer but cant pull it with a magnet once I start to apply pressure with the compessor....if your off square with your pushing just a bit, the nylon spacer binds the damper rod.

What do I do here ? Drill another set of holes higher up in the spacer ? any tricks ?, I gotta believe someone has done this without a damper rod puller tool. I do have the slot tool to slide under the nut once I get it exposed above the spacer.

Dry running this thankfully I haven't put the fork oil in yet.

NOTE ==>. there is a plastic /nylon spacer that sits between the top of the spring and the spacer. (just not shown in the pics)

UPDATE ==> I'm gonna attach a 8" piece of clear fuel line to the top of the damper rod and see if that works while I use the wratchet strap to compress the spring

thanks

IMG_2682.JPG

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,796 Posts
You need a damping rod puller.

You can easily make one.

Just take a long bolt and carefully drill into the end of it and tap the correct threads. I did my first on by hand, and later made a second one nicer on a lathe but both work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Tad158 !

Ill make one for next time I guess.

This time it worked using the clear plastic fuel hose, nice tight fit, able to pull it up and get it done !

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts