Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my r1 this summer and battery was shot. Put a cheap battery in it and couldn't get it to start after riding for a few weeks. Went to the dealership and got a nice battery for it OEM. And I have a hard start issue... cranks like 6-7 times. Hot it will fire. Bike has tunes on it. And deleted exhaust. Not sure if it has the block off plates or not. I'd assume not bc it backfire more than normal. Stator bad? Block off plates? Tuning?

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 2011 R1 was exactly the same, fine when she was hot, would start first time, but when she was cold she would take up to 6 attempts to get her going... and you could easily flatten the battery...I’ve done that

Mine only did this when she was started for the first time each day. She was worse on cold and or damp mornings (which we get a lot of in the UK), during the summer, generally she would start first or second attempt.

I found that by keeping the throttle pinned whilst pressing the starter helped the bike splutter into life, without the throttle pinned she would not start at all....

The starting procedure was:

Pin the throttle and press starter.. the bike would :

1. generally turn over but not fire;

2. Turn over , fire and die;

3 turn over, fire, pop, bang and die;

Attempts 4 to 6 would lead to success ... turn over, fire, pop, bang and verrrooooom more than 6 attempts and she wouldn’t go.

Thankfully I have very understanding neighbours who didn’t mind this every morning at 6:15 as I set out on my commute to work

Generally this was a morning issue worse on cold days. She occasionally behaved like this on my return commute home, but not often, and as you say when she was warm she was fine.

I found keeping the bike on a trickle charge overnight helped too...

I never got to the bottom of why she was behaving like this and my dealer couldn’t find out either, they had her for a week swapping parts over from another 14b but she kept doing it. In the end I just used to start her this way all the time .

Hope you get it sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Gwithian, I have posted several times for 2011 cold start problems, and again I say that AIR -FUEL RATIO at low ambient temps is the issue.That is why your dealer swapping parts did not fix. I'm fortunate where I live in Aussie to have short winters. Great bikes in all respects apart from this issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2011 R1 was exactly the same, fine when she was hot, would start first time, but when she was cold she would take up to 6 attempts to get her going... and you could easily flatten the battery...I’ve done that

Mine only did this when she was started for the first time each day. She was worse on cold and or damp mornings (which we get a lot of in the UK), during the summer, generally she would start first or second attempt.

I found that by keeping the throttle pinned whilst pressing the starter helped the bike splutter into life, without the throttle pinned she would not start at all....

Attempts 4 to 6 would lead to success ... turn over, fire, pop, bang and verrrooooom more than 6 attempts and she wouldn’t go.

Thankfully I have very understanding neighbours who didn’t mind this every morning at 6:15 as I set out on my commute to work

Generally this was a morning issue worse on cold days. She occasionally behaved like this on my return commute home, but not often, and as you say when she was warm she was fine.

I never got to the bottom of why she was behaving like this and my dealer couldn’t find out either, they had her for a week swapping parts over from another 14b but she kept doing it. In the end I just used to start her this way all the time .

Hope you get it sorted

Thats exactly my problem...you pull starter and motor cranks but dont fire, then after some tries it attempts to fire but sounds like its choking, and then if im lucky will start, if not i will have to push it...im lucky that the street has a descending angle and that helps a lot LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts

Hope you get it sorted

When you mean "keeping the throttle pinned" you say to keep it a little acelerated? Sorry my english is not so good so i cant understand what you mean there
Thanks for your time

·
Registered
38 Posts
When you mean "keeping the throttle pinned" you say to keep it a little acelerated? Sorry my english is not so good so i cant understand what you mean there
Thanks for your time
I mean opening the throttle all the way to the stop, holding it there, press the starter with the throttle still at the stop and when she fires up close the throttle

Beautiful looking 14b

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Gwithian, I have posted several times for 2011 cold start problems, and again I say that AIR -FUEL RATIO at low ambient temps is the issue.That is why your dealer swapping parts did not fix. I'm fortunate where I live in Aussie to have short winters. Great bikes in all respects apart from this issue.
I’m not that technical, what you say re air /fuel ratio in low temperatures sounds right

Yes they are great bikes. I found mine very rewarding to ride , I actually had three of them (not at the same time)

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's not the air-fuel ratio that's technical,it's the electronics and sensors that regulate the mix that is technical,and that's why there's not an easy fix to the issue.From all the posts I've read on here the only way to minimise the problem is to keep the motor whithin its spec's and tolerances.Great to see you have kept buying R1's all this time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I mean opening the throttle all the way to the stop, holding it there, press the starter with the throttle still at the stop and when she fires up close the throttle

Beautiful looking 14b

Thanks i will try this way,hope it doesnt chokes 😋 so throttle open all the way and then sparks to make the magic 🌞

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did anyone tried changing the starter motor?i found some videos on youtube with the same failure and they said that replacing it fixed the problem

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did anyone tried changing the starter motor?i found some videos on youtube with the same failure and they said that replacing it fixed the problem

Just make sure as she fires up you close the throttle... she might splutter and bang and die, but try again and hopefully it will work... it did for me...

Regarding the starter motor, I don’t know if my dealer swapped that over so I can’t say if it will work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just make sure as she fires up you close the throttle... she might splutter and bang and die, but try again and hopefully it will work... it did for me...

Regarding the starter motor, I don’t know if my dealer swapped that over so I can’t say if it will work.

thanks, i will try and then i tell you!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bought my r1 this summer and battery was shot. Put a cheap battery in it and couldn't get it to start after riding for a few weeks. Went to the dealership and got a nice battery for it OEM. And I have a hard start issue... cranks like 6-7 times. Hot it will fire. Bike has tunes on it. And deleted exhaust. Not sure if it has the block off plates or not. I'd assume not bc it backfire more than normal. Stator bad? Block off plates? Tuning?
I'dmake sure the fuel line is not kinked,

1 - 20 of 28 Posts