Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi guys! I recently bought a used 2010 R1 and as I was adjusting the preload, the left collar sticks out longer than the right (pls. refer to attached photos) eventhough I turned the same number of times. Is this normal because of the left & right damping adjusters or does it have some loose nut or clip that’s why it’s sticking out more than the other? Thanks in advance!

·
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom
10,843 Posts
You might want to send off the suspension to Thermos Man being that the suspension is 10 years old and probably never been serviced.

If there's anything wrong, he will find it. Good time to do it now for the winter. (depending on where you live)

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,438 Posts
That's bad, it may be disconnected from the damping rod, or it is serviced and not assembled correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's bad, it may be disconnected from the damping rod, or it is serviced and not assembled correctly.
It doesn’t seem disconnected as the collar still retracts when preload is fully turned (to hard), and both collars will also be even.

·
Super Moderator
23,878 Posts
You might want to send off the suspension to Thermos Man being that the suspension is 10 years old and probably never been serviced. If there's anything wrong, he will find it. Good time to do it now for the winter.
This is a great idea. I had Thermos Man install and setup my Ohlins 30 mm cartridge kit. He has helped a lot of people just like you and I. Just contact him and see what he says.

https://www.thermosman.com

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,438 Posts
It doesn’t seem disconnected as the collar still retracts when preload is fully turned (to hard), and both collars will also be even.
This is still not correct. If it were functioning correctly it would look like the other side. If you take the cap off the forks and disassemble the cap you can make it look like this.

I still think something is off on this fork.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts