Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2010 R1 that recently started smoking out of the exhaust. I took it in and had it looked at and they told me it’s not the head gasket my oil looks fine so I’m hoping somebody has some idea what else it could be. It’s only got 8000 miles on it so I’m pretty stressed that something major is wrong and I’m afraid to ride it till I figure it out. The exhaust smoke does smell pretty strongly like fuel if that helps.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Here is how you kill two birds.
1. Remove plugs. This way, one might have a black plug, the other 3 look white at the porcelain area. That's a fuel problem say. Might point to an injector?
2. Compression check. Why the dealer did not go right after the first thing, I have no clue? For sure this would have shown if not pulling all plugs. This can show a low cylinder and have a sealing problem. This will cause smoke if not gas.
3. By seeing both, you can now determine if it's gas or oil smoke. If you paid to be told that it's not the head gasket was a guess, get your money back. That is not how you diagnose smoke.
4. They could have caught or you now catch two types of smoke. Blue is oil, white is gas. Think; oil is a solid so it's more of a color. Gas is a liquid so steam is more like fog.

·
An R1 kinda day!
2015 Yamaha YZF R1 Raven Edition
1,177 Posts
You are correct; black is fired off soot, but way too much fuel that is unspent looks white. I referenced excess fuel that could not fire off, rather heated up instead.
Kinda like top fuel funny cars sitting at the lights b4 launch?

·
Registered
'08 r1
2,671 Posts
Check the pray on the injectors bud, and do a leakdown test. That'll tell you a lot about what's going on. All I can say is it looks fine from my house.

A little bit of comfort for you, if it was coolant in the exhaust, it will smell sweet. If it smells like fuel, not chocolate cake, it's probably a sticking injector.

Edit: spray. Check the spray. I omitted the s for some reason.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check the pray on the injectors bud, and do a leakdown test. That'll tell you a lot about what's going on. All I can say is it looks fine from my house.

A little bit of comfort for you, if it was coolant in the exhaust, it will smell sweet. If it smells like fuel, not chocolate cake, it's probably a sticking injector.
Good advice 1202067,mine since it came back from a different mapping, a 2015 occasionally throws out some black smoke and you can smell the fuel in it. It is a 2015 and has only done 3.8k miles.
As this one has only done 8000k I would agree with you that it probably has a faulty injector. That ain't a lot of miles and probably stood for a while, and unless it has stabil or something similar it can cause the fuel to go off and make the injector stick or even clog up. Or just could be an injector failing. It might be worth getting them serviced.
The goog thing is that it smells of fuel, so should not be that serious. It would be different if the bike had overheated say and burnt the oil rings out say and it was white smoke coming out smelling of oil. Just do what 1202067 says and you will be fine I'd say, good luck 👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts