Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals. My name is Jason. I picked up a 2010 R1 Rossi LE. The bike will not start unless I bump start it. Here's the issue.

New battery. Plenty of juice. When I hit the button, it turns over, but will not fire. If I run-start it, it will start just fine. Any ideas?

·
Owner of the color changing R1
16,563 Posts
bad battery? what voltage are you getting off the battery before startup and when running?

·
JOKER BANAJA
66 Posts
There are many problem with r1 2009-2011:

1-The heat of the engine will decrease the pulling power of the magnet in the starter
2-The fans will Eat 1.5 v dc from the battery while the engine is not running
So it will be very difficult to start you bike

The solution is :
1- put the key ,put on the switch, wait for 2 sec and push the starter switch to start if not
Wait until the sound of the injector fuel is clear and start again
Keep some time between around 2 second and
Repeat the operation for maximum three time
The motorbike will start

2- don't try to start the Engine while the fan is running

I DONE THIS and I don't have now any problems with the starter or battery

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Don't eat the Banana
146 Posts
Didn't know that the heat would be this excessive to cause resistance problems with the starter, The first thing I thought of with the Op's description was maybe the Kickstand switch but the again he said it cranks but no start. I'm gonna keep your Solution in mind Joker!

·
R1 or nothin
489 Posts
How many times have you cranked it before the battery dies? Does it ever backfire while turning over? Was the bike tipped over to the right?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
r1s kill all others
390 Posts
Have the same problem with my Rossi I have 5- 6k miles on it it was the starter gear inside the starter but yeah you have to wait a few seconds everyone you hit the starter do not hold just give it a second touch on the button

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Motorcycle.com App

·
R1 is yummy
553 Posts
If it won't start on the first attempt. Try giving it a mm or two of throttle when you crank it the second time. Works for me..

·
Registered
6 Posts
yamaha r1 2010 not starting after it was tipped over to the right

How many times have you cranked it before the battery dies? Does it ever backfire while turning over? Was the bike tipped over to the right?

Mine was tipped over to the right and is not starting, since you asked that question before I am guessing you have the answer to my issues... PLEASE!!

·
R1 or nothin
489 Posts
Mine was tipped over to the right and is not starting, since you asked that question before I am guessing you have the answer to my issues... PLEASE!!
Ok. So i tipped mine over some ago and got weird symtptoms afterward. When cold the bike would crank but not start..started after many times but really battled. When the bike was at temp it would start no probs.

Remove the pickup cover and check the guides that hold the camchain in place. There are 2 stainless dells that are held in place by the pickup cover. Mine had a crack in the dell housing on the back of the cover which allowed play. If it is cracked replace the pickup cover. I have posted pics in another related thread..done have them anymore so you will have to search to see what i mean. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! is the pick up cover the same as the crankshaft cover? I just got a new one. I think I know what those "dells", are those like metal pins like a quarter of an inch thick, correct?

·
R1 or nothin
489 Posts
Yes its the same thing. If that cover has visible damage outside chances are something is wrong inside. I made the mistake of not looking properly and missed that the one dell had movement due to a crack in the slot. This caused the crank to be off position when cold and it would not start.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
552 Posts
@BigredR1
Same symptoms man. Every since I dropped it, its having issues. When its cold, it would crank but not start. Started after many tries but it really struggles.

I think I know what you mean by the pick up cover but I want to clarify. Like you said if there is damages outside, then there is damage inside. From the outside, there is no damage. Can you clarify "dells"? Perhaps with an image?

Thanks

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts