Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am having an issue with my headlights not turning on. I have no headlights and no highbeam indicator with the bike running. I have run through the checks in the service manual for fuses, main switch, dimmer switch and relay. I found one blown fuse but that was for the fan which I replaced, I have continuity through the switches and the relay clicks and has continuity when 12 volts is applied. I checked the socket the relay plugs in to and I have battery voltage across the Red/Yellow+Yellow/black wires from battery and ECU. With the relay testing okay on the bench I SHOULD get power to the light sockets but I am not. Any chance the relay could bench test okay but still be bad? Possible bad wire from the relay to the light socket? Thanks for any help.

· Registered
1998 R1
51 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am having an issue with my headlights not turning on. I have no headlights and no highbeam indicator with the bike running. I have run through the checks in the service manual for fuses, main switch, dimmer switch and relay. I found one blown fuse but that was for the fan which I replaced, I have continuity through the switches and the relay clicks and has continuity when 12 volts is applied. I checked the socket the relay plugs in to and I have battery voltage across the Red/Yellow+Yellow/black wires from battery and ECU. With the relay testing okay on the bench I SHOULD get power to the light sockets but I am not. Any chance the relay could bench test okay but still be bad? Possible bad wire from the relay to the light socket? Thanks for any help.
Repaired a similar problem on my 98 when my friend owned it ..... In my case, there was damage to the connector where the headlight harness plugs into the main harness. Best way to check , get a DVM and a schematic and start checking continuity from point to point . In voltage settings , check "+" leads for proper voltage, Ohm the ground leads to ground... Corrosion on the ground terminal can cause a lot of resistance....

· Is there anybody out there?
4,471 Posts
Red/Yellow+Yellow/black wires are for the relay control Voltage only. You need to check for Voltage on your Black/Green wire and go from there. No Voltage = bad relay. Voltage = bad bulbs, wiring problem in your socket or bad ground.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts