Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evening all I thought I’d try to start the bike since it’s been sitting all winter on trickle charge... Here’s my issue bike with just crank and crank with some loud back fires but won’t start.... Any ideas? I was thinking maybe Timing jumped or bad crank sensor???? I check the diagnostic and there is no codes logged but memory does have some which I cleared... Any help would be appreciated....

·
Registered
469 Posts
Check the static charge on the battery and insure it is above 12.7v then load test the battery by checking the voltage while cranking and see if it dips below 9v. If it is less than 12.7v static or it drops below 9v under load, replace the battery.

Did you leave the bike on the charger the whole time? If so, you may have damaged the battery.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was left on trickle charge all winter.... I let it charge up again tonight and see if I can test Tomm...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Don't leave a battery on a charger that long. If I put one on to trickle I only charge it overnight. Anything more than that and you'll want to check it daily.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have always left my batteries on trickle charge since it regulates the charge bringing them up and down.... 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yea, that's a float charger. I don't trust them. I'd inspect the battery with the method I outlined above. The battery may be damaged. With no codes and with the only thing being that it was left on the tender that leads me to suspect the battery.

Check the fuses etc of course, but, also check the battery.

Or don't.

Your call.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once it’s up to charge I’ll check Tomm but the backfiring and no start puts alil fear in me.... really hoping timing didn’t jump

·
Registered
469 Posts
I very seriously doubt it jumped time. Have you done anything to it? Changed the cam chain tensioner or anything?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope haven’t changed tensioner..... but it’s got that crank like a car gets when timing is off with the sputter and backfire

·
Registered
469 Posts
Fuel injected bikes don't like starting with a bad battery. I'll bet you lunch the battery is your problem. If the battery passes the test, you can verify timing, but, I really think it's the battery. Check the manual for the low end of the voltage. Above 9v will turn the starter, but the 2011 may take 11v or something else for the ecu, injectors, ignition etc.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Reading around the minimum voltage for the 2011 appears to be 10.5v, so 10.5v or more, not 9v. 9v will turn the starter, but it won't start the bike. Good luck. Hopefully it's just the battery. If not, I guess I owe you lunch.

Edit: the minimum start voltage. So the voltage under load.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reading around the minimum voltage for the 2011 appears to be 10.5v, so 10.5v or more, not 9v. 9v will turn the starter, but it won't start the bike. Good luck. Hopefully it's just the battery. If not, I guess I owe you lunch.
lol

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you rule out the battery, I'd be looking at fuel injection and plugs too. Could be stuck injector nuzzles, dirty plugs, fuel gone bad, or diet in the tank, or clogged fuel filter/pump.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts