Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Evening all I thought I’d try to start the bike since it’s been sitting all winter on trickle charge... Here’s my issue bike with just crank and crank with some loud back fires but won’t start.... Any ideas? I was thinking maybe Timing jumped or bad crank sensor???? I check the diagnostic and there is no codes logged but memory does have some which I cleared... Any help would be appreciated....
I had the same problem and what I did was open the throttle a little while cranking and it fires right up

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
1202067 I owe you a beer.... after charging it up again I check crank sensor and all was good but it still wouldn’t start so I disconnected 1 hid bulb and BAAM it fired right up..... Thanks again all 😁

·
Premium Member
12,256 Posts
1202067 I owe you a beer.... after charging it up again I check crank sensor and all was good but it still wouldn’t start so I disconnected 1 hid bulb and BAAM it fired right up..... Thanks again all 😁
The ballast draw a lot of current on start up. If you have to run and HID kit, you need to install a delay relay harness that’s connected directly to the battery.

With the OEM headlights, the ECU triggers them to fire as soon as the bike starts (or as the starter button is pressed; the ECU can trigger them to fire).

A delay relay harness is designed to trigger the lights about 5 to 10 seconds (depending on relay design) after the bike has started. This is best.

If you are getting your trigger from the OEM headlight harness, that’s bad juju. This can cause electrical problems in the long run.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts