Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone had any idea or already had installed impaktech race rails on their 09-14 R1. What I’m having issues figuring out is what the best way is to drill the hole through the fairings to get it lined up with the engine bolt since you can’t see through the fairings and there isn’t a way I can really measure it since it’s one big solid plastic piece. Any input would be appreciated!

·
Rx for 2nd mid-life crisis
551 Posts
I believe he means sliders, specifically the "cut" ones, as opposed to the "no-cut" sliders most of us buy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Basically a stunt cage but smaller. Instead of three pucks it’ll only have one and it bolts into the engine bolt and frame. Has the same purpose as a frame slider but ALOT more sturdy.

·
Unacceptable
1,205 Posts
What’s a race rail?

OP, you might want to try the laser pointer method.

1. Remove side panels and place the bike on a rear stand.

2. Get a cheap laser pointer and set it on a sturdy surface. Turn it on and aim it at the engine bolt.

3. With the pointer still on, reinstall the fairing panel on that side. The red dot is where you drill your pilot hole. I recommend a step-bit for enlarging the hole. Double and triple check as you drill so that the hole isn't oversize.

4. Wash, rise & repeat for the other side.

5. Go have a beer, you're done! :beerchug:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hooli that is an awesome idea, I’m gonna give that one a try it seems simple. The R6 install is easy because there is openings in the fairings you can see through while the R1’s fairings are a solid piece of plastic. I’ll keep you guys up to date

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Johnk95
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing