Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 r1 have 19832 miles, just changed new spark plugs, new battery, New starter, a little dirty air filter,
But the bike won't start, I don't know what's wrong with it?
Can someone tell me what I should do next?

·
Premium Member
11,803 Posts
Could be fuel related. If the starter is new, try testing the fuel pump and make sure it’s pumping at the correct PSI.

Just because you hear the fuel pump priming doesn’t mean it’s pumping at the right PSI.

This is where I would start if the starter is new.

Another shot in the dark here are valves. I know the manual says every 26,000 miles but my number 3 exhaust on both sides were pretty tight when I first checked. I should have check at about 15,000 miles.

Just throwing some stuff out there but start small of course.

Check all fuses.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be fuel related. If the starter is new, try testing the fuel pump and make sure it’s pumping at the correct PSI.

Just because you hear the fuel pump priming doesn’t mean it’s pumping at the right PSI.

This is where I would start if the starter is new.

Another shot in the dark here are valves. I know the manual says every 26,000 miles but my number 3 exhaust on both sides were pretty tight when I first checked. I should have check at about 15,000 miles.

Just throwing some stuff out there but start small of course.

Check all fuses.
thank you so much, will do it next week

·
Registered
367 Posts
I believe that's your check engine Light coming on while cranking? It might be your cam position sensor or crank position sensor. Bump starting sometimes gets the bike going.

Also, check that your starter solenoid and the plug that goes into it from the harness are wired up correctly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You had it all apart to change the plugs, check the snap connector on the fuel line that goes to the tank. If not fully seated it won’t be getting fuel

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey! I also was thinking when you changed the plugs and put the coils back on did you really push hard on the coils until they made a snap noise?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe that's your check engine Light coming on while cranking? It might be your cam position sensor or crank position sensor. Bump starting sometimes gets the bike going.

Also, check that your starter solenoid and the plug that goes into it from the harness are wired up correctly.
the bike started right after it was done, but the next day it won't start

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey! I also was thinking when you changed the plugs and put the coils back on did you really push hard on the coils until they made a snap noise?
thank you, I don't remember if I made a snap noise or not, I may redo it again

·
R1 is AWESOME, but has issues
83 Posts
I had a similar issue. Check the fuses under your seat, especially the 7.5 amp ones. One is for the TPS or Piston Sensor (I can't recall), but it was toast. Easy inspection, easy fix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a similar issue. Check the fuses under your seat, especially the 7.5 amp ones. One is for the TPS or Piston Sensor (I can't recall), but it was toast. Easy inspection, easy fix.
how to tell if it was blown? cause last time I changed the main fuse(which was blown) it looks like nothing happens to it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does it start with the kickstand up? Seems like something wont let it spark or even try. My apologies for the rookie tip bit its just my $.02.

·
Registered
43 Posts
how to tell if it was blown? cause last time I changed the main fuse(which was blown) it looks like nothing happens to it
Ive had that happen with my turbo talon atleast twice, it was a wiring nightmare. Tho the main fuse A 30amp, never had it happen under 20A. But it would partially melt down. When id inspect it or even check it with and ohm meter itd seem good. However it wouldnt let enough juice flow most time to crank and start the car. After a week of searching and starting to blame the ecu it finally popped and revealed itself. Itd do jus that crank with no spark. It wuldnt even sputter with a sniff of ether. Hope you find the problem soon.

·
R1 is AWESOME, but has issues
83 Posts
It will be obvious. It's a little magenta one (not blue) but it will blow the same.

·
Registered
122 Posts
2011 r1 have 19832 miles, just changed new spark plugs, new battery, New starter, a little dirty air filter,
But the bike won't start, I don't know what's wrong with it?
Can someone tell me what I should do next?
Did you check the 3 separate connectors that were unplugged under the tank when you changed the plugs? I’m just thinking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ive had that happen with my turbo talon atleast twice, it was a wiring nightmare. Tho the main fuse A 30amp, never had it happen under 20A. But it would partially melt down. When id inspect it or even check it with and ohm meter itd seem good. However it wouldnt let enough juice flow most time to crank and start the car. After a week of searching and starting to blame the ecu it finally popped and revealed itself. Itd do jus that crank with no spark. It wuldnt even sputter with a sniff of ether. Hope you find the problem soon.
thank you

1 - 20 of 36 Posts