Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
thank you
hi my friend
i own a 2012, and im riding with the same problem...i read a lot about this and im going to try changing de starter motor... if i dont solve it with this, then i will try with the pick up assy and then checking valves...spark plugs, air filter, injectors, and all of the rest is ok, they say its a common failure in this model

Registered
Starter, cam chain tensioner, and week OEM battery are the only common issues with this bike.

Other than that, it seems to be the most reliable generation R1 to date.
Hope that is the mpst reliable since i will be keeping it for two or thee years...

I bet that the starter is the problem, even it sounds cranking good... when i get mine (30 days estimated) i will tell you if it worked

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Hope that is the mpst reliable since i will be keeping it for two or thee years...

I bet that the starter is the problem, even it sounds cranking good... when i get mine (30 days estimated) i will tell you if it worked
Looking forward to it

Registered
That鈥檚 what my bike did before starter failed completely. I would change the starter.

Registered
Looking forward to it
hello my friend
i still didnt receive my new starter...
although, i read that you already changed it (did you put an original one? i read that chinese ones are not working ok)

whats more...did you resolve the problem? what was the cause?

Registered
he said that already changed the starter...
Your right. I didn鈥檛 catch that, I just saw the video he put of it not starting.

But in regard to your comment about Starters, it may be hit or miss, but when I changed mine the first time I put a cheap amazon starter motor and that only lasted a week or so and never really started the way it should. The problem was the starter was getting heat soaked and after riding, if you turn the bike off it would not start until it was completely cold again. I replaced with an oem starter shortly after and it runs like new now. So definitely oem is the way to go.

Registered
Your right. I didn鈥檛 catch that, I just saw the video he put of it not starting.

But in regard to your comment about Starters, it may be hit or miss, but when I changed mine the first time I put a cheap amazon starter motor and that only lasted a week or so and never really started the way it should. The problem was the starter was getting heat soaked and after riding, if you turn the bike off it would not start until it was completely cold again. I replaced with an oem starter shortly after and it runs like new now. So definitely oem is the way to go.
thanks for your comments.
i ordered an OEM but it's still traveling way here (Im from Argentina)...

The heat failure is exactly what does to mine (Above 70 Celcius wont start). Hope that changing the starter gets fixed, i'm son anxious...

When i get it, i will post but i dont have an arriving date yet :(

Registered
thanks for your comments.
i ordered an OEM but it's still traveling way here (Im from Argentina)...

The heat failure is exactly what does to mine (Above 70 Celcius wont start). Hope that changing the starter gets fixed, i'm son anxious...

When i get it, i will post but i dont have an arriving date yet :(
hopefully it gets there soon! And hopefully it fixes your problem! Keep us posted. Also when you change it you can do most of the work through the side of the coolant reservoir with out having to remove the tank. at the very most you can lift the tank and air box to loosen the wire and hook it back up to the starter easily. but no need to remove the fuel injectors or anything extra. As you can slide the starter in and out of the side once you have the reservoir and thermostat out. Whatever works for you though brother. That鈥檚 what was easier for me at the time.

Registered
hopefully it gets there soon! And hopefully it fixes your problem! Keep us posted. Also when you change it you can do most of the work through the side of the coolant reservoir with out having to remove the tank. at the very most you can lift the tank and air box to loosen the wire and hook it back up to the starter easily. but no need to remove the fuel injectors or anything extra. As you can slide the starter in and out of the side once you have the reservoir and thermostat out. Whatever works for you though brother. That鈥檚 what was easier for me at the time.
yes, i read about changing it by the reservoir side...actually, yesterday i was a repairing a friends o mine R1 2012 and took a look on it to see if it is possible... it seems to be really difficult by that side, but until i get the starter y will think how to try... i will keep you noticed

Registered
yes, i read about changing it by the reservoir side...actually, yesterday i was a repairing a friends o mine R1 2012 and took a look on it to see if it is possible... it seems to be really difficult by that side, but until i get the starter y will think how to try... i will keep you noticed
Will be a tight squeeze. Will look a lot easier once you take off the reservoir, hoses and thermostat. You will see the starter right away. Wish I would have taken pictures when i did the install.

Registered
Remove the intake manifold also. It鈥檚 really a quick job.
a quick job??? LOL, you must be jocking... LMAO you really made me laugh...i already remove everything for cleaning the injectors and changing spark splus...was a hell

You mean by doing it by the side of the reservoir? If you mean that, why i should remove intake mainfold

Premium Member
a quick job??? LOL, you must be jocking... LMAO you really made me laugh...i already remove everything for cleaning the injectors and changing spark splus...was a hell

You mean by doing it by the side of the reservoir? If you mean that, why i should remove intake mainfold
It鈥檚 really not hard. Seriously. You want to go from the top by removing the intake manifold.

If you鈥檝e done spark plugs, you can do this too. Sparks plugs are easy too.

Pictures aren鈥檛 there anymore but this is what I used. Only took me a few hours. Hardest part is pulling up the intake manifold (just give it some extra muscle, it WILL come up), and burping the coolant (that鈥檚 always hard for me even though it鈥檚 a simple task because I鈥檓 always concerned if I got all the air out and I make a mess).

Registered
It鈥檚 really not hard. Seriously. You want to go from the top by removing the intake manifold.

If you鈥檝e done spark plugs, you can do this too. Sparks plugs are easy too.

Pictures aren鈥檛 there anymore but this is what I used. Only took me a few hours. Hardest part is pulling up the intake manifold (just give it some extra muscle, it WILL come up), and burping the coolant (that鈥檚 always hard for me even though it鈥檚 a simple task because I鈥檓 always concerned if I got all the air out and I make a mess).

thanks for your help...im waiting the starter to arrive, i will read your topic, let me ask you if i have any doubts
LOL
Thanks!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts