Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of riding I am finally trying to learn a bit about maintenance and repairs. It seems my 2012 R1 has been leaking oil from a scuffed:

Crankcase Cover 3

Part 14B-15431-01-00

This part is the small, star shaped cover just above and to the right of crankcase porthole window on the right side of the bike.

Although scraped, the cover was not obviously compromised. So I didn't notice it at first, but the leak seems to have gotten a bit worse, from the lower screw on the right hand side after noticing oil on my boot after a ride.

Has anyone tried to repair a part or a leak like this with a JB Weld / epoxy type product for metal?

For 5-10 bucks, it would be great if I didn't have to replace the cover, screws and gasket - if only for a temporary fix to ride again this weekend, while waiting for the parts.

Thank you for any ideas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As you can see, the cover and the screws still seem intact - at least compared to other R1 photos I have seen after scrapes on the right side.

However, it leaks from around and below the scuffed screw on the lower right side. Most of it has been flying / falling into the belly pan so I didn't realize how much it was leaking until I noticed it on the toe of my right boot and I finally took a closer look from underneath the bike.

I thought I was burning oil?!

Its about $100 for the cover, gasket and screws so wondering if I might at least try to patch it up with some JB Weld metal stuff.

·
Registered
'08 r1
2,664 Posts
Remove the cover, clean the gasket, apply a thin coat of permatex 'ultra grey' to each side of the gasket and reinstall to factory torque on the screws. If that doesn't get it, check in here and let us know bud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts