Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Bought a 2012 R1 Track Bike last fall. Didn't get a chance to ride it until the first track day of the year which was this weekend.

Anyways, when trying to do a clutchless up shift it won't switch gears. The shifter won't activate unless I use the clutch. I tried it in GP shift and standard shift. It's so weird. I'm literally hammering the shifter and it's staying in gear unless I use the clutch!

I adjusted the clutch lever as well as played with the shift rod all day. Sometimes I would even hit a false neutral shifting hard out of first.

I've had R1 Track bikes and multiple other track bikes over the years and ride in the expert group so I know what I'm doing here.

This bike has me stumped and it's driving me crazy! Any ideas what to look for?

·
Venom X/O
26,238 Posts
So no quickshifter involved but using the throttle to cut fuel to quickshift and it won’t? What about just puttering around the street? Will it fall into an upshift on regular riding? I’m thinking maybe bent shift fork?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So no quickshifter involved but using the throttle to cut fuel to quickshift and it won’t? What about just puttering around the street? Will it fall into an upshift on regular riding? I’m thinking maybe bent shift fork?
Great question! Yes, when the bike is turned off or at idle/low rpm it will shift gears without the clutch. But at high rpms it's literally locked in gear until you use the clutch.

Does this sound like a bent shift fork? Any other ideas?

·
Venom X/O
26,238 Posts
Great question! Yes, when the bike is turned off or at idle/low rpm it will shift gears without the clutch. But at high rpms it's literally locked in gear until you use the clutch.

Does this sound like a bent shift fork? Any other ideas?
10-4. Don’t take this next one with offense.. you’re letting off the throttle a little bit when you’re trying to clitchless shift right? Cause if you’re full power running up the revs and don’t let off the throttle, it won’t clutchless shift until the bike redlines and cuts power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10-4. Don’t take this next one with offense.. you’re letting off the throttle a little bit when you’re trying to clitchless shift right? Cause if you’re full power running up the revs and don’t let off the throttle, it won’t clutchless shift until the bike redlines and cuts power.
Yes I've tried both. Even when I let off the throttle at high rpm it won't shift. And yes even when I chop the throttle slightly for the shift it won't shift. Even when literally jamming the shifter! So strange. Not a good first experience on this generation of R1.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What kind of quickshifter is it? Typically they are either push or pull to upshift/downshift. Afaik, you can't just put it in gp shift mode without adjusting the sensor.

·
Venom X/O
26,238 Posts
What kind of quickshifter is it? Typically they are either push or pull to upshift/downshift. Afaik, you can't just put it in gp shift mode without adjusting the sensor.
That’s the thing. It doesn’t have a quick shifter.

What’s the shift lever angle look like? Is it parallel with the shift knuckle at the top? Post a pic of your shifter. A bike that won’t quick shift like that is interesting; even chopping the throttle. I did it with my 09 constantly, even racing. Never really had an issue. It should do it

·
Registered
419 Posts
I clearly didn't read closely.

Are you sure you're coming off the throttle completely? There can't be any load on the gears when you do a clutchless shift
Should be able to....

Agressive / WOT thottle + toe up pressure (non GP, GP down) at same time then throttle off/on quickly....should upshift seamlessly.

·
Venom X/O
26,238 Posts
Should be able to....

Agressive / WOT thottle + toe up pressure (non GP, GP down) at same time then throttle off/on quickly....should upshift seamlessly.
That’s why I’m guessing bent shift fork. Clutch let’s it shift; cause there’s no stress on the tranny at that point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Should be able to....

That's what I thought as well. My last R1 Race Bike (2003) would easily up shift at any rpm on or off the throttle.

Ughhh I really hope it's not a bent shift fork. I almost maxxed out the budget buying it and doing some minor things to it over the winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That’s the thing. It doesn’t have a quick shifter.

What’s the shift lever angle look like? Is it parallel with the shift knuckle at the top? Post a pic of your shifter. A bike that won’t quick shift like that is interesting; even chopping the throttle. I did it with my 09 constantly, even racing. Never really had an issue. It should do it
The shift rod is definitely not parallel. It's on a small angle. I'll post a picture tomorrow. The funny thing is I tried doing some major adjustments to it a few times and had the same results throughout the day. In fact once I shortened it most of the way I was then hitting neutral when high rpm shifting out of 1st.

·
Premium Member
2018 Yam R1S
27 Posts
Hey all. Bought a 2012 R1 Track Bike last fall. Didn't get a chance to ride it until the first track day of the year which was this weekend.

Anyways, when trying to do a clutchless up shift it won't switch gears. The shifter won't activate unless I use the clutch. I tried it in GP shift and standard shift. It's so weird. I'm literally hammering the shifter and it's staying in gear unless I use the clutch!

I adjusted the clutch lever as well as played with the shift rod all day. Sometimes I would even hit a false neutral shifting hard out of first.

I've had R1 Track bikes and multiple other track bikes over the years and ride in the expert group so I know what I'm doing here.

This bike has me stumped and it's driving me crazy! Any ideas what to look for?
Just as a quick check- did you activate the QSS (quick shift function) in the menu, if this bike has one?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts