Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· KaLiFoRniA
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a mistake :icon_cry: , I have had my bike flashed for almost two years. I was trying to fix the idle issue and accidently flashed my bike with a (JP, Japan) map from flashtune. Bike wouldn't start, got "HI" where my temp usually is. Flashed back to a US map and code 17 remains. I really don't want to go back to the dealership... PLEASE help

· I RACE U LOSE
4,145 Posts
Does bike start now ? I don't see a fault code # 17 in the service manual, if it starts I would try riding it then turning bike off and restarting again (if possible)

· I RACE U LOSE
4,145 Posts
The diagnostic codes that you're checking (and getting stored faults in) are hopefully just from flashing the wrong image in the ECU and trying to start. If it doesn't start I would try flashing in a stock ECU image and see what happens. EDIT: I would buy an ECU from ebay before taking it to the dealer, if you did happen to screw up the ECU they could possibly void your warranty if you still have one in effect. Even though the dealer most likely won't be able to tell what happened, I'd imagine once Yamaha got it they possibly could.

· I RACE U LOSE
4,145 Posts
I would imagine its possible, the ECU pin locations are probably different from US to Japan versions. I would try another '12-'14 ECU if you know anyone that has one, and see if the fault code disappears with it. If it disappears with another ECU, yet reappears with yours you'll know the problem is within the ECU. I can't see any damage occurring to the 'loaner' ECU you use for testing, especially since your bike runs now, but I'm no expert on the matter either. My guess is the fault lies within the ECU, you won't know until you try another one on your bike though. Good Luck with it, report back with whatever you find.

· I RACE U LOSE
4,145 Posts
I Googled Yamaha fault code # 17, it comes up as EXUP servo problem on R6's and R1's. I'm guessing the Japanese version '12-'14 R1 has an EXUP valve, and possibly you flashed an area of the ECU not normally used on US models. I would try flashing the ECU back to stock and see if it goes away, I would try putting your map back in afterward as well. Seeing it is an EXUP fault code (and our bikes obviously don't have one), I'm now thinking you won't be able to remove the code from the ECU. Trying another ECU should let you know whether your ECU is fvcked or not. Again, Good Luck with it.

· Astronomer not Astrologer
11,162 Posts
:corn I have been helping via email...I am with you kurt...the jp image left something behind. The new version of the software, does a "full erase" when you flash it for the first time since the update. I think they could issue that command and start over...

Testing with a friend's ECU is a good idea. The dash won't do anything to the ECU, as it is a one way read only operation...

I am also confident that the jp bikes and the France bikes (and a few others) have exups, as those countries require total power output limitations bikes sold....likely they just sell the jp bike in those countries...

11,162 Posts
It starts and runs, still have the idle issue. Will ride it today and reset it again and see. I don't see a code 17 in the service manual either. Did I mess up my ECU??
I don't understand why it won't idle...On a non stock image...we are still trying to figure that one out....

11,162 Posts
Should mention I tried to clear the error codes in diagnostic mode, under #62 I'm getting a 1, is that normal? 60, 61, and 63 were all at 00
Ok....So now that I am home and can look at a manual....#62 is malfunction code history erasure. It says
Displays the total number of malfunctions, including the current malfunction, that have occurred since the history was last erased.
So set the stop switch to stop, then enter DIAG mode. Then go to D:62. Then change the start switch to run. Then it should read double zero. Then key off then key on.

See what that does. If is gone...then :jump...else...go back to D:60 though D:63 with the engine stop switch in the stop position and see what it gives you... and report back...

· I RACE U LOSE
4,145 Posts
Thanks Tad, in for the results...hoping that works. Wouldn't the fault code be gone from the gauges, if his re-flashing of his image back in corrected the fault ? **Clearing the diagnostic fault history, since it is only its 'history' and not a 'current fault', and therefore it will have no effect on what is shown on the gauges.** These are my thoughts of why clearing the history won't work, does this make sense to you Tad ?

· KaLiFoRniA
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have re flashed back to stock image. Code remains. Diag mode reads 60,61,63 =00. 62 =1...! cycled through with bike set to off no luck. I read you can't clear a code if there it's still an issue, maybe that's why it won't clear? But I'm really hoping my ECU can be completely reset?

11,162 Posts
So I think it has something to do with not all of the memory being over written with the US image over the JP image.....and there is still something hanging around from the EXUP.....

I also sent that same image (the 3/4 system one) to another member and it idled fine (hung up at 2.5k RPM but idled with out dieing....so there may also be a mechanical issue that is preventing it from idling....like maybe a valve out of adjustment or the T-Bodys need to be synced....

Though I would find someone in SoCal with a 12-14 R1 and Pop in their ECU into your bike, and see if it idles ok...and if that message goes away...

11,162 Posts
No...ais and the exup are separate systems:fact

· I RACE U LOSE
4,145 Posts
There is a way to fix it....call F/T as they're already in Cali., tell them the ECU was flashed with a Japanese ECU map by mistake, and ask if they could flash it to remove the fault code that is showing. Paying them $200, is easier and cheaper than any other alternative IMO. Also IMO, flashing the ECU with a complete 'erasure' first then flashing is the only cure. Since Tad says that's what the new F/T software does prior to flashing (complete erasure), its the only thing that makes sense, that it is the only 'fix'. Either that or buy another ECU.

· KaLiFoRniA
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I tried the full flash with no luck. Contacted flashtune and was told essentially the Japanese map writes in places of the ECU that the flash doesn't effect. I live close enough and I was given the option to drop off my ECU to FT with no definitive time frame. When I arrived Chris said he believed it can be fixed, just how long is the question. Sublime customer service, I understand I messed up and they are still looking at it for me. Hopefully if someone else does the same thing there will be a simple fix? I did go and buy a new ECU (prep for the worst hope for the best). So that will fix it! But if/when the ECU is fixed, I'll sell one to re-coop some gun funds. lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.