Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone here had any experience with actually opening up the headlight of a 2013 or similar R1. I managed to melt the outside clear lens because I went with a 55 watt HID. Going to switch to 35 watt by also want to replace the clear lens. Wanted to know how involved the work is and if I will have to bake entire housing in oven to open it up.

THX ride safe.

Premium Member
Uh oh. We need a sticky on this. I have too often posted on here about not using 55w ballasts on these bikes.

As for opening the headlight housing, I bought a used one for a member here who I believed opened them up to run wires so that HID bulbs can be used without drilling a holes in the dust caps.

Looking at the headlight assembly, I see screws that look as if they hold it together.

I will contact the member I bought mine from and ask him. I will also attemp to open my spare damaged headlight assembly tomorrow and share my findings with you.

As a matter of fact, I will send any parts on my extra headlight assembly that can aid you in repair for free.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could be wrong but I think it was the way my H7 bulb was sitting in the mount. It was not sitting properly which caused all the light to focus on one point. LIKE WHEN U BURN AN ANT USING A MAGNIFIED LENS. I put the light in properly now and went to a 35 watt ballast. Hope this works. I may end up buying a new lens cover once I am certain I have fixed the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.