Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[Corrected Link]

Hey there - got this R1 a few months ago and it runs and rides like a dream. Purchased with 5300 miles, around 6900 now. Only issue ever since I've gotten it, has been a rough start. Its gotten a little better since though. I've seen people say that these starters are practically disposable, could this be the issue? Fresh gas and fresh battery, measuring a bit over 12 volts. Anyone see this issue in the past?

·
Registered
65 Posts

Hey there - got this R1 a few months ago and it runs and rides like a dream. Purchased with 5300 miles, around 6900 now. Only issue ever since I've gotten it, has been a rough start. Its gotten a little better since though. I've seen people say that these starters are practically disposable, could this be the issue? Fresh gas and fresh battery, measuring a bit over 12 volts. Anyone see this issue in the past?
Can't find page to see if it was doing like mine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry everyone, updated with correct link. Let me know what you think!
I purchased a firepro high cranking lithium battery and it stopped mine. You may still get a little bit of a hard start still when it super hot and the fan is on but any other time she starts smooth as butter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Related post over here, we are dealing with this problem: 2011 R1 wont start

Im waiting for the starter to arrive since i have the same problem and changed everything else (filters, sparks, etc.).
I will keep up posted when i get it

·
Registered
65 Posts
sorry i didnt understand...

you changed it, but still NOT working?
Or changing it FIXED your problem?
My bike was having the hard start issue after I purchased it. My starter died about 9 months ago so I replaced it. I still had the hard starting issue after putting the new starter in. My mechanic told me switch my battery to the fire pro high cranking lithium battery and now I have no more hard starts. With the lithium battery you turn the key on for about 15 to 30 seconds then start the bike and it starts fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My bike was having the hard start issue after I purchased it. My starter died about 9 months ago so I replaced it. I still had the hard starting issue after putting the new starter in. My mechanic told me switch my battery to the fire pro high cranking lithium battery and now I have no more hard starts. With the lithium battery you turn the key on for about 15 to 30 seconds then start the bike and it starts fine.

ok, i understand.
Another question: Before replacing starter/battery, Did you have the star problem at hi temps?(Mine, above 70°Celsius wont start, i have to wait until gets colder).
This was fixed? After changing the starter?after changing the battery?
Thanks for your feedback

·
Registered
35 Posts

do you have any link to see battery model and specs?

·
Registered
65 Posts
ok, i understand.
Another question: Before replacing starter/battery, Did you have the star problem at hi temps?(Mine, above 70°Celsius wont start, i have to wait until gets colder).
Thanks for your feedback
Yes if my fan was running I had this problem. Now unless its really really hot outside it does not do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fuel related most likely. What’s done to the bike?
Yeah that was my thought too, something fuel related. Not sure whats done to the bike, could the exhaust be part of the issue? Theres a yoshimura street R77 dual exhaust slip-on system. When I swapped out the air filter there was a big difference (for the better) but still not as strong of a start as I wanted.

·
Premium Member
11,803 Posts
ok, i understand.
Thanks for your feedback
This could be dying starter, weak battery, or time for valve adjustment.

As long as the fueling is good, I’d start with the battery, then starter, then check valves (depending on how many miles and how hard the bike was ridden during its lifetime).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts