Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2014 R1 for both road and track use, and just had the chance to ride it on slicks for the first time at Donington (I'm in the UK) two days ago.

Having worked out a pretty good set-up suspension and tyre-wise, I found the high speed-steering was awful - pulling the bar to make the direction change diving down Craner Curves was actually so hard it felt like I was pulling my shoulder out of it's socket! I used to coach at Donington and have done thousands and thousands of quick laps around there, so when something feels off, I can be reasonably sure it probably is!

Having geared the bike down, I know the speedo is over-reading, and this started a train of thought - I'm wondering if a) the OE electric damper is just crap on track, and b) if the speedo is over-reading, the electric activation of the damping may be over-stated as well.

I see no reason why this bike would be so heavy to turn when it's pretty much spot on everywhere else, but with the speedo (over) reading just short of 130mph as I start to turn, I think the electric damper could be making things difficult.

So, long-winded build up to a simple question - has anyone ditched the OE item and found an improvement? I see Ohlins do one (the SD024) which comes with the damper delete plug to stop the warning light on the dash. If anyone has done this, especially for race or track use, I'd love to hear!

Cheers in advance,

Paul B

Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Automotive tire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Paul B.!! 1st. That's a Very cool picture, sweet shot! When I had my ECU flashed, they turn off the steering damper, I brought a GPR steering stabilizer. It works in any condition, I'm sure, I'm pushing hard as you, but just food for thought...thanks for sharing the great picture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Paul B.!! 1st. That's a Very cool picture, sweet shot! When I had my ECU flashed, they turn off the steering damper, I brought a GPR steering stabilizer. It works in any condition, I'm sure, I'm pushing hard as you, but just food for thought...thanks for sharing the great picture.
Hey TTT!

Thanks for the reply- that's an interesting angle that I hadn't rumbled - the ECU is involved in this device. I bought it as a flashed bike, but the fans cut in at 105'C and as far as I can tell, that's standard and a mod that most flashes lower? Who knows without plugging the ECU in to a reader again, which along with a baseline dyno run, is next on my to-do-list.

I'll have a look at the GPR dampers, I'll be honest and say I prefer the tucked away traditional dampers, but everything needs considering - pretty sure the damper is the thing behind the heavy bar pressure at speed.

As for the pic, it's a good'un - I love the Hollywood/Craner Curves section at Donington, and this pic pretty much looks ready to hang on the wall in a nod to that piece of tarmac!

Thanks again for the reply, appreciated!

PB

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey TTT!

Thanks for the reply- that's an interesting angle that I hadn't rumbled - the ECU is involved in this device. I bought it as a flashed bike, but the fans cut in at 105'C and as far as I can tell, that's standard and a mod that most flashes lower? Who knows without plugging the ECU in to a reader again, which along with a baseline dyno run, is next on my to-do-list.

I'll have a look at the GPR dampers, I'll be honest and say I prefer the tucked away traditional dampers, but everything needs considering - pretty sure the damper is the thing behind the heavy bar pressure at speed.

As for the pic, it's a good'un - I love the Hollywood/Craner Curves section at Donington, and this pic pretty much looks ready to hang on the wall in a nod to that piece of tarmac!

Thanks again for the reply, appreciated!

PB
Please let me know how you get on with a aftermarket damper I am very interested to know started looking at the bitubo ones for sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please let me know how you get on with a aftermarket damper I am very interested to know started looking at the bitubo ones for sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just picked up a second hand (non-electric) Ohlins damper - have yet to work out if my ECU has the damper enabled or not, that's next. Will either need a delete plug or an ECU flash. I'll update with info when known, although unlikely I'll get back on track this year now to be honest. A well set up Ohlins, albeit manual, can't be any worse than the OE electric one, can it?
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Motorcycle helmet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts