Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all thanks for the add.

This might get long but is needed to explain 馃榿.
Got 2014 r1 32000kms on it that is blowing black smoke on start up and on twist of throttle then clears up so obviously running rich. It backfires on a real fast rev up then throws fault code 15 (tps fault). Before I knew about tps code I figured I'd do full service on bike and see if it wasn't just dirty air filter or shitty plugs.(bike only 2 weeks old to me).
Plugs black to confirm running rich. Anyway service done and still same problem goes into limp mode only after sharp rev.
I can get it to redline if I wind the throttle on smoth but backfires and goes to limp mode the shuts down if reved fast.
noticed while in there pc5 plug on tps is a sort of crap connection so figured I'd disconnect pc5 completely and tried again to see if it was causing problems . Same fault code and problems.
Reconnected pc5 properly without crap connector and solder joint instead.
Tested continuity and resistance of wires from tps to the ecu and perfect other than but of green corosion from in one of the plugs at tpu but still no change after a clean. Throttle is adjusted properly cables are free.
diagnostics mode showed whole bike to be spot on including throttle values with or without pc5 connected.
Only thing left is faulty tpu but would think this would show up in diagnostics mode or is this an incorrect usumption, is it possible for it to fail only while running or is the fault code throwing me and its something else in the system that can trick ecu into throwing a code 15??? Kind of don't want to throw $300 bucks at a tpu only to find it was fine. I kind of figure that if diagnostics can't pick up a problem with tps position then me with a multimeter won't do any better.

Thanks for your time

Registered
R1 08

An R1 kinda day!
2015 Yamaha YZF R1 Raven Edition
You may have wear in the throttle bodies themselves, fooling the sensors into thinking more fuel is needed.

Reactions: jsp1990

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Starts and runs revs up and overfules so no issues with fuel supply it's getting to much.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd get into the diagnostics and check the tps stop to stop. Have you adjust the tps sensor yet? Or checked the values?
Went through diagnostics a few times and tps checked out fine was in spec without fail, only thing was weird Waa when looking at tps through the power comander it didn't show throttle value until bike was running and even then wasn't a good reading but was fine through diagnostic mode. I know my sp1 will show up without the engine running

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check the operation of the butterflies, zero out the power commander or remove it and get a read on the plugs. Or take it to a shop.
Like I said plugs where black due to over fueling, throtles checked out perfect on 4 diferant occasions and power comander was totally disconnected twice. All good thanks for replies basicly was hoping to see if throttle position sensor on these bikes have a habit of failing. Till next time cheers

Registered
'08 r1
Like I said plugs where black due to over fueling, throtles checked out perfect on 4 diferant occasions and power comander was totally disconnected twice. All good thanks for replies basicly was hoping to see if throttle position sensor on these bikes have a habit of failing. Till next time cheers
Before we end the conversation, I just want to confirm that you got a read on the plugs with the pc either unplugged or zeroed and the bike was still over fueling. Is that correct? If so, the tps may indeed be poked (although it should be reading faulty if it is faulty) or the throttle bodies are not opening correctly assuming the air filter is clean and there are no obstructions in the airways.

Another problem may be a dirty or damaged injector that is leaking or a problem with the ecu if it is tuned.

I thought you had only pulled the plugs to get a read initially. If you have been continuing to read them, I apologize.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before we end the conversation, I just want to confirm that you got a read on the plugs with the pc either unplugged or zeroed and the bike was still over fueling. Is that correct? If so, the tps may indeed be poked (although it should be reading faulty if it is faulty) or the throttle bodies are not opening correctly assuming the air filter is clean and there are no obstructions in the airways.

Another problem may be a dirty or damaged injector that is leaking or a problem with the ecu if it is tuned.

I thought you had only pulled the plugs to get a read initially. If you have been continuing to read them, I apologize.
Not sure what you mean by zero the bike, if you mean remove fault codes then yes otherwise please explain. I've had issues with power comanders on other bikes which is why I disconnected it to basicly fault find on as stock a bike as possible. Brand new plugs and airfilter and intake runners are completely off back to airbox as can't road test anyway as the problem is that bad.
I think my mistake at moment has been to rely on the bikes computer to fault find so although it's throwing a 15 and tps values are in spec I will do what I should have done and make sure the butterfly's are actually moving to match throttle position especially given the pcV wasn't reading properly before I disconnected it. Can honestly say first r1 I've come up against but not out of the game yet

Registered
'08 r1
Not sure what you mean by zero the bike, if you mean remove fault codes then yes otherwise please explain. I've had issues with power comanders on other bikes which is why I disconnected it to basicly fault find on as stock a bike as possible. Brand new plugs and airfilter and intake runners are completely off back to airbox as can't road test anyway as the problem is that bad.
I think my mistake at moment has been to rely on the bikes computer to fault find so although it's throwing a 15 and tps values are in spec I will do what I should have done and make sure the butterfly's are actually moving to match throttle position especially given the pcV wasn't reading properly before I disconnected it. Can honestly say first r1 I've come up against but not out of the game yet
When I said zero out the pc (power commander) I meant just that bud, not zero the bike. Sometimes folks zero them out instead of unhooking them to test. I usually remove them.

Definitely check the butterflies as @Buttafewcoe and I have both suggested.

Is it all 4 cylinders? If it is, then chances of it being the injectors are pretty low.

Has the bike been flash tuned? If so the map may be off or corrupted or something of that nature.

Again, it could be the tps, but if it were I would think it would read faulty.

Also, if the problem is so bad the bike is unrideable, have you considered unhooking the o2 sensor? I'd think a dirty o2 sensor would cause a lean condition, but, I've been wrong before. Just spitballing here. Another just spitballing idea, are the velocity stacks in the raised or lowered position at idle? Maybe they are raised? Maybe the fuel pressure is too high because the regulator went bad?

I'll look at the diagram for the tps in the manual, but IIRC there is nothing else in the loop to cause a fault. It's just the tps, the ecu and the actuator. If it's throwing code 15 it really should be either the actuator, the sensor or the ecu. Assuming the wires are all good of course.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A lot to check there. Yes it's all 4 cylinders. Can't tell you the history of the bike at all really hard to explain how it came about other than we are in the longest lockdown in history and bike came from Tasmania an island south of Victoria and wasn't able to be checked properly. Did notice that the pc had no visual map in it and part of the reason I just disconnected it for now but will deal with that when I solve the problem and download an acro map for it. It's rideable but have to be gentle on throttle or it goes into limp and no point riding it when I can replicate it in the shed.
Going yo check wires again, only checked them along each wire not across them. As far as velosity stacks they have been in the raised position each time lid has come off like i said earlier I need to visually check butterfly's and now Ill check that too (up or down at idle). I'll get back when I run through it again thankyou for your input and time

Venom X/O
He鈥檚 got a lot of info there, my guess would be pc5. I鈥檇 get rid of it and have the ecu mailed for a re-flash to set a new tune. Replace the O2 鈥渇airly cheap鈥 and throw in a set of new plugs. That would be my process. I wouldn鈥檛 try to salvage the pc5, I鈥檇 remove it and run a flashed tune. Then if I wanted another power commander I鈥檇 buy a new one.
Take that with a grain of salt tho鈥

Astronomer not Astrologer
Does it have an oem o2 sensor in the bike still?

Does it start on a mode or std on key on?

What temp do the fans turn on?

Have you run a leak down and compression test?

Reactions: jsp1990

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so the first night before jumping on forum I ran through the full diagnostics ( wasn't the final time it was done mind you)and every last thing checked out from d1 to d61 but as you know it kept throwing fault code 15 when I went back to it last night to check a few things in regards to velocity stack positioning , cable continuity and tps positioning and found that butterflies barely opened thrn wouldn't move at all and dash read out wouldn't go above 24 so finally I'm getting an incorrect reading.

I did a test with diagnostic on and physically moved butterflies through full rotation by hand and went from 12 which is OK through to 68 full throttle not ok.
Long story short changed out tps and she sings like a Swan bird. A very raspy masculine one but sings none the less.

I guess for future reference if it matters to anyone, black smoke on start up and apon revving then big ass flames out the cans and into limp mode and shut down but all diagnostics checking out perfectly on multiple occasions but with fault code 15 showing up, can be as simple as what the fault code says.
Tps was faulty all along just took its time showing up.
I thank you guys for your help and patience. Should have taken the bikes word for it's issues but all the parts connected conspired against the ecu to make it out a lier 馃槅 馃ぃ

Registered
'08 r1
Ok so the first night before jumping on forum I ran through the full diagnostics ( wasn't the final time it was done mind you)and every last thing checked out from d1 to d61 but as you know it kept throwing fault code 15 when I went back to it last night to check a few things in regards to velocity stack positioning , cable continuity and tps positioning and found that butterflies barely opened thrn wouldn't move at all and dash read out wouldn't go above 24 so finally I'm getting an incorrect reading.

I did a test with diagnostic on and physically moved butterflies through full rotation by hand and went from 12 which is OK through to 68 full throttle not ok.
Long story short changed out tps and she sings like a Swan bird. A very raspy masculine one but sings none the less.

I guess for future reference if it matters to anyone, black smoke on start up and apon revving then big ass flames out the cans and into limp mode and shut down but all diagnostics checking out perfectly on multiple occasions but with fault code 15 showing up, can be as simple as what the fault code says.
Tps was faulty all along just took its time showing up.
I thank you guys for your help and patience. Should have taken the bikes word for it's issues but all the parts connected conspired against the ecu to make it out a lier 馃槅 馃ぃ
Hell yea brother! Good deal. Give her a right thrashing and get a read on them plugs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts