Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've got a few questions for anyone who might have answers. I bought a 2014 R1 new, and it's been sitting since 2016. It has issues keeping the battery charged at about 14k miles. I'm assuming it's the stator, but that is why it's been sitting in storage. I was going to change the stator and battery along with the fluids. Is their anything I should be doing other than that? The bike lights up when it's been sitting on a tender but I haven't attempted to turn it over yet. I was told by an automotive mechanic that I shouldn't, that the injectors need to be removed and cleaned (5 year old fuel). I'm asking anyone who has experience.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Start with the battery first, I wouldn’t bother with the stator until you know it’s holding a charge, cell test or load test it but sitting for that long it may have dried up, and than see what it’s charging at and go from there, you can always ohm test the stator too from the plug without removal, double check inside the gas tank for any surface rust or crap, drain and fill it with fresh gas if your gong to keep it, may be a good time to just do the plugs and air filter while your at it,check the coolant and engine oil level, I would turn it over a few times first before firing it up to build some Oil pressure with the fuel pump fuse unplugged, some people spray wd40 in the cylinders for the piston rings if it’s been sitting but I’m sure turning it over by hand from the crank should be fine, if it even needs it after 5 years. Prime the fuel pump a few times too to build pressure before starting, I would then try firing it up and see how it runs first before doing injectors, might save you some time and money, may crank for a little while, from old gas in the line, if it starts fine let it get hkt first, made sure the fans come
On, and than change the oil and filter so everything that settled gets mixed around, also pump the brakes first and clean and lube any surface rust off the chain, good luck

·
Registered
86 Posts
What he said. Change all fluids, drain and clean gas tank and injectors, new battery and you should be good to go. Was the bike elevated on stands or were the tires on the ground? Tires might need a good looking at as well.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The advice so far is really really good. I'll add my .02. When I go to crank one that has been sitting for a few years, I always put some marvel mystery oil in through the spark plug hole when I change the spark plugs. I change the plugs because I want to read them at about 500 miles so I can insure the fueling is right. I also drop the injectors in a Mason jar and watch them mist. If they piss or spit, I clean them. If they atomize like they should, I don't.

Good luck.

·
889 Posts
5 year old fuel ? it will be a miracle if injectors not stuck and fuel pressure regulator not damaged

if only one injector stuck open it will send fuel into oil. if it were a car engine i would first attach powerful cleaner to fuel line and start engine and run it until injector cleaner consumed.

you could also remove any old fluid in fuel tank and add small quantity of new fuel AND add large overdose of fuel injector cleaner to new fuel and try running engine. even if it won't run or if it run poorly, you use starter motor to keep injecting the cleaner into the injectors until consumed. run starter motor for only ten seconds and then rest if for ten seconds (for example) to avoid ruining starter motor.

even if it run (good or bad) you must clean the fuel delivery system with large dose of powerful injector cleaner.

·
Registered
2003 Yamaha R1
6 Posts
Hi everyone, I've got a few questions for anyone who might have answers. I bought a 2014 R1 new, and it's been sitting since 2016. It has issues keeping the battery charged at about 14k miles. I'm assuming it's the stator, but that is why it's been sitting in storage. I was going to change the stator and battery along with the fluids. Is their anything I should be doing other than that? The bike lights up when it's been sitting on a tender but I haven't attempted to turn it over yet. I was told by an automotive mechanic that I shouldn't, that the injectors need to be removed and cleaned (5 year old fuel). I'm asking anyone who has experience.
Hi buy a new battery go with OEM

·
Registered
2003 Yamaha R1
6 Posts
And change all oils plus ck the tires and chain Stay Safe

·
Registered
2003 Yamaha R1
6 Posts
Hi everyone weather in Westchester NY is looking great and I'm hoping to ride with save riding R1 brothers & sisters. Lets try for a group ride in a few weeks.. Anyone interested ? Thanks and ride safe..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts