Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last year I bought my 14 r1 and my upgrades so far hasn't been too much. I have Graves smog block off plates, Graves 3/4 link back exhaust with stock headers and a tune. I'm considering the Graves velocity stacks top and bottoms but wondering what else is out there that will make good power.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
So last year I bought my 14 r1 and my upgrades so far hasn't been too much. I have Graves smog block off plates, Graves 3/4 link back exhaust with stock headers and a tune. I'm considering the Graves velocity stacks top and bottoms but wondering what else is out there that will make good power.
get the velocity stacks. it's one of the best purchases u could make. the link headers too. i'm assuming u have an ecu flash since u ditched the cat ?

i'm still building up my bike. but if you want some ideas, check out my garage link. i got an alright list of stuff done to my bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a ecu flash yes, but I was wondering about the headers. The r1 already has pretty good titanium headers stock, would getting the graves headers really improve the power that much?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It's not so much a power improvement as it is a power band improvement since they help smooth out the weak areas.

Yank the head and send it to Danos Performance for a super bike head job, supposed to be 8 hp for $2500, or something like that.

Did you cut out the restrictor in the air box when you did the block off plates?

Lightweight wheels help.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,014 Posts
I do have a ecu flash yes, but I was wondering about the headers. The r1 already has pretty good titanium headers stock,
incorrect, its cheap titanium.. not to mention flawed design & nothing at all to compare with the real deal in aftermarket.. :wink2:

with proper good quality Ti the heat is dispersed much more evenly across the entire piece, you dont get nearly as many hot spots and irregularities
as you get with the cheap stuff, this stuff is impossible to keep clean... its oem :dunno

·
Crash OverRide
1,296 Posts
I'd go for the Graves cams and get the head refinished by Dano's but that's some serious coins to drop... sure would make a nice down payment on at 2016 R1.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'd go for the Graves cams and get the head refinished by Dano's but that's some serious coins to drop... sure would make a nice down payment on at 2016 R1.
i gotta agree. i love my bike. but i dont see the point in dropping that kind of money into the motor, when 2015-16 will just be faster after modding.

but if u dont care about the money, freaking do it! i know i would :lol

·
Crash OverRide
1,296 Posts
When/If I still have this bike and the motor pops (or overheats) then I'm going to send the head off to have reworked then cams and blah blah, then I'll do such.
The 2015+ R1's have a damn good engine from the start. The same could be said for the performance on them. They run hell'a good for the street and on the track! Plus no way are you going to be able to use that performance on the street or the track.

·
TeamYamaha
124 Posts
It's not so much a power improvement as it is a power band improvement since they help smooth out the weak areas.

Yank the head and send it to Danos Performance for a super bike head job, supposed to be 8 hp for $2500, or something like that.

Did you cut out the restrictor in the air box when you did the block off plates?

Lightweight wheels help.
Say one were to get these upgrades, how often would you need to change out engine parts from "wear and tear"?

·
One Liter Duck Eater
235 Posts
Could you clarify what you are wanting to get out of it? Or are you looking for a general list of mods?

What I mean by that is, are you looking for around town performance, weekend fun in the canyons, drag strip, race track, commuting.

If your wanting a general list, then try:

Air filter
Airbox mod
Full exhaust
Block-off plates
Ecu Flash
Basic tune
520 chain conversion

These mods are at least cheaper on the wallet.

If you looking for stupid power, look into turbo or a nitrous set-up. Once you go down this road, engine maintenance is going to be a priority, and building your motor is going to cost you. Not worth it IMO.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,014 Posts
standard list up there yeh. get the stacks top / bottom and match adjustments in ECU flash.

Graves stacks are golden, love those things :thumbup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts