Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
2015 Yamaha R1
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a mate and I ran our 2015 bikes at the drag strip today. These things are ballistic. Even with the electronics you can still find yourself fighting wheelies. Without electronics forget it....
I ran a 10.20 @ 146.9 mph completely stock and my friends ran a 10.0 @ 148mph with a akro can and a custom mid pipe. Not sure really how much difference the exhaust made as he ran less electronics.
Launch control works good but it's not perfect. He was getting a better and not using LC but I struggled either way haha.
I also put my r1 on a weigh bridge. Half tank of fuel and it weighed 192kg.

Watch "2015 Yamaha R1 1/4 mile drag race" on YouTube
2015 Yamaha R1 1/4 mile drag race: https://youtu.be/QhfOESX2KsI

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice time! Gotta read up on the launch control.. In fact I've gotta read up on all the electronics...
Wanna get my M and 04 on a weigh bridge soon. Then put the M on a diet of Ti and and aftermarket exhaust

·
Banned
672 Posts
Nice time! Gotta read up on the launch control.. In fact I've gotta read up on all the electronics...
Wanna get my M and 04 on a weigh bridge soon. Then put the M on a diet of Ti and and aftermarket exhaust
You got your R1M already? Where in Australia are you? I didn't think there is any on a road here yet.

·
2015 Yamaha R1
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update.
Today I took the R1 out again, my first pass I laid down a 10.0 @152mph. Unfortunately I couldn't get it faster as the more I tried the slower I went. The lift control kills the power but it's that smooth you just don't feel it. I'll have to man up next time and not run it but it already power wheelie in 4th gear. But I just want that 9.9. Each run was with the launch control but next time I'll do all my passes without it as an experiment.

·
Registered
183 Posts
152mph trap speed is as quick or quicker than a Bugatti Veyron!
Amazing!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Update.
Today I took the R1 out again, my first pass I laid down a 10.0 @152mph. Unfortunately I couldn't get it faster as the more I tried the slower I went. The lift control kills the power but it's that smooth you just don't feel it. I'll have to man up next time and not run it but it already power wheelie in 4th gear. But I just want that 9.9. Each run was with the launch control but next time I'll do all my passes without it as an experiment.

What settings are you using? on the strip?

·
2015 Yamaha R1
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All settings on 1.
To get the best times I reckon launch control and lift control off.
The lift control kills the mph a lot though, short shift and change before 13k nets the best times.

·
2015 Yamaha R1
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a well set up 2011 zx10 that trapped 150mph with 190hp atw and was lowered and strapped.
These things don't feel fast but they actually do hammer in the top end. The more kms I put on it the harder it goes.

·
2015 Yamaha R1
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up going with the AR GP1R. I regret buying this as soon as I hit send. I should of gone with my gut instinct and just bought the MJS link pipe and kept my oem muffler. I would of save $1000's and would of made just as much power. I only went with AR because I want it loud and I can make it quieter with the 50mm insert. However seeing some of these clearance issues and AR saying it will clear just as long as you don't use too much suspension travel and now seeing some more testing done with exhaust diameters I regret this. I haven't fitted it yet, maybe once I Fit it hopefully I do think encounter any of these issues. I'll be doing full back to back dyno testing etc and I'll post all the info good or bad. I'm still yet to see any independent person post a before and after dyno result apart from someone who gained 2 hp on a custom gp3. This is what I'm expecting with the AR GP1R as I believe the pipe diameter is now too big compared to other dyno results I've now seen.

·
For no ma'am
2,599 Posts
These things don't feel fast but they actually do hammer in the top end.
I have yet to open mine up completely, still breaking it in but definitely noticed that they are "sneaky fast" kinda like v-twins from a decade ago. I always swear I'm going much slower than I actually am.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I ended up going with the AR GP1R. I regret buying this as soon as I hit send. I should of gone with my gut instinct and just bought the MJS link pipe and kept my oem muffler. I would of save $1000's and would of made just as much power. I only went with AR because I want it loud and I can make it quieter with the 50mm insert. However seeing some of these clearance issues and AR saying it will clear just as long as you don't use too much suspension travel and now seeing some more testing done with exhaust diameters I regret this. I haven't fitted it yet, maybe once I Fit it hopefully I do think encounter any of these issues. I'll be doing full back to back dyno testing etc and I'll post all the info good or bad. I'm still yet to see any independent person post a before and after dyno result apart from someone who gained 2 hp on a custom gp3. This is what I'm expecting with the AR GP1R as I believe the pipe diameter is now too big compared to other dyno results I've now seen.
I'm looking forward to seeing the back to back dyno charts. I plan on doing a linkpipe and tune, leaving the stock can alone. I bet it won't be too far off a full system power wise for far less cash. Stock exhaust is Ti so gut the cat (M4's link pipe is cheapest I believe and is compatible with stock can), get a tune, and I have a full Ti system for cheap and I bet it will sound decent too. Maybe a Lacomoto Street Belly Pan for the eyes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts