Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Sydney, Australia! I’m new to R1 ownership and new to this forum too. So far I’m absolutely loving my new R1 (blue 2016 model), which I purchased a little over a month ago now completely stock.
I’m looking to do the obvious modification of upgrading the lame stock exhaust in the near future starting off with the Akrapovic slip on.
For a full disclaimer, I completely understand that it’s much better doing the ¾ system with the link pipe too, but unfortunately I don’t have the time and budget to get both the link pipe and the required tune (The slip on alone retails for $1100-1200AUD and the link pipe is a similar cost too). Yes, I will probably eventually do the ¾ system sometime in the future but definitely not anytime soon.

For people who have ONLY put the Akrapovic slip on on their R1’s, how much of difference in terms of sound does it make alone? Were there any noticeable differences in performance too? I’m only curious to know how much of a difference JUST the slip on by itself makes (I know a ¾ or full system will clearly sound and perform much much better).

I understand there’s other manufacturers like M4, graves, two brothers etc. out there that make great exhausts too, however I’m set on the Akrapovic as I believe it by far looks and sounds the best (this is just my opinion), plus it’s much easier to purchase and get warranty on in Australia too.

Sorry for the wordy thread! Would love to hear your thoughts

Cheers

·
Unacceptable
1,216 Posts
Slip-on's really don't make that much of a difference, since the cat and exup valve do the majority of the muffling. As a matter of fact, take off your stock muffler and peer through it. It's a straight-through design.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Look for videos on youtube for 2016 60th anniversary R1 - came stock with a ackra slip on. I would say the sound is 15% raspier.

I think you are making a wise decision - unless you have access to a experienced tuner and are willing to invest the time, money and effort to tune a 3/4 system (you may get poor mid range, fuel smells, spark plug fouling, go deaf, poor fuel economy etc - the scavenging is completely different without the EXUP)

Sent from my G8342 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts