Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· nomoreducs
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my third track day at Jennings GP, however, it was my first time taking the R1 to the track. Bike did wonderfully...clearly it was in its element. Weather was less than ideal with a misty fog all morning and then horrible wind and rain in the afternoon (I left the track after lunch). The bike is bone stock at this point and I ran 31F/29R cold tire pressures on the stock bridgestones. I am just there for fun, so no tire warmers, and no scorching lap times. I seemed to consistently hit the low to mid 1:30s and felt comfortable there. All-in-all, taking it to the track really sealed the deal for me on this bike, it really is awesome. On order now is a Graves cat-eliminator exhaust, GB racing covers, Graves fender eliminator, FTECU bench kit, and smog block off plates (these look like a pain to install). Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgnKDNOQm_Y

· Rather be riding.
247 Posts
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

· nomoreducs
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good! Sportbiketrackgear has all the how to vids posted if ur wondering about that list of mods u want to do! I would love to be at jennings with this machine!
How was it compared to the 899?
Watching the Sportbiketrackgear videos is actually what helped me pull the trigger...he made everything look extremely accessible. BTW, does anybody know how to remove the little triangular fairing piece over the ECU (thought I would ask before starting to tug at plastic bits)?

As for comparing the 899 and R1...I would take the R1 all day. It just does everything smoothly and without drama. The R1 felt much more comfortable leaned over as well. The biggest adjustment was the speed that I was reaching on the R1 compared to the 899...On the front straight I was about 10mph faster on the R1, which is quite a bit for the very short straight Jennings has. On the back straight (basically a long curve between turns 2 and 3), I was hitting about 15+mph higher on the R1. At first I was running wide in turns because they were coming up much faster than I was used to...but once I adjusted, it was a non-issue. The R1 is also a much better street bike when compared to the 899...less heat, better ergos (for me), smoother engine, the list goes on. The 899 was a sexy bike, but I imagine its a bit like wearing six inch heels.

· nomoreducs
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The raven looks really nice mate. Could you share the details on your camera and mount options you used?
Absolutely! Its a GoPro Hero 4 black in the skeleton housing. Camera is set to 1080p wide at 60 FPS (no superview). Mount is a flat adhesive mount on the center of the triple tree and the J-hook for the camera. I also added a zip-tie for a little extra security...wrapped right through the holes in the triple tree.

· Registered
709 Posts
What a great camera mount spot. I'll be doing that for sure. I was going to mount on the tank but I think this is better.

Rear tire looks good for wear. How many track days you think these tires will give you. Like 3???

· nomoreducs
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What a great camera mount spot. I'll be doing that for sure. I was going to mount on the tank but I think this is better.

Rear tire looks good for wear. How many track days you think these tires will give you. Like 3???
two to three is probably about the limit on the rear...Jennings is very hard on the left side of the tire and I only had half a day on this tire due to weather.

· Super Moderator
22,568 Posts
Awesome pictures. Glad you like the new R1. We were supposed to be at Jennings the day you were, but held off due to the possibility of rain. We will be there this Saturday. I'm severely having major track withdraws...

· Semi-famous old guy
90 Posts
Nice work with the vid! I noticed that you stayed in the mid range rpms mostly. Are you still breaking it in?
Even stock it sounds glorious once it hits 11k on the tach!

Thanks for sharing!

· nomoreducs
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice work with the vid! I noticed that you stayed in the mid range rpms mostly. Are you still breaking it in?
Even stock it sounds glorious once it hits 11k on the tach!

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, and good catch...I had just completed the 600 mile service a few days before this track day, so I didn't want to ring it out too hard. Ive since hit 1000 miles, so its a non-issue at this point.

In terms of the induction noise, it is addictive. Even the photographer that was trackside, complimented the sound of the bike.

· Semi-famous old guy
90 Posts
Thanks, and good catch...I had just completed the 600 mile service a few days before this track day, so I didn't want to ring it out too hard. Ive since hit 1000 miles, so its a non-issue at this point.

In terms of the induction noise, it is addictive. Even the photographer that was trackside, complimented the sound of the bike.
:thumbup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.