Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
If you can dodge a wrench
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’m sure I’ll catch some heat for this one, to defend myself I haven’t rode the bike much in the past two years for various reasons. Anyways I recently started riding the bike again and remember the temps hanging out around 168ish on the highway ( SoCal) even during the summer. The past few times I have gone out the bike has been hitting 180-185 while cruising on the highway with an ambient temp of 80-85. I know the hotter it is outside the hotter the bike will be but it just seems weird to me that it would be that high while going 85-90 on the highway. I was thinking maybe the thermostat was sticking big could also just be crazy since I haven’t rode it forever. It is a 2015 with the recall performed, ECU flash w/auto tune.

·
2019 R1M
17 Posts
Were getting 26C (180f) weather in the UK, My bike today was showing roughly the same engine temps at around 50mph.
Usually in low ambient temps 15-20C (59-68f), I display 73-78c on 50-60mph roads.
Even if the temps are similar to my bike, I would change the coolant on a 4 year old bike.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,329 Posts
I notice my 04 R1 runs 10/15 degrees hotter when the coolant is a couple years old. Engine ice is what I use and they say it’s performance will decrease after a season or 2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 18 R1M runs about 167F when I'm cruising. Ambient around 80 (also in SoCal). Stock fluid, barely 2000 miles on the bike. I do have a FTECU flash (along with autotune) that kicks the fans on at 206F and cuts at 196F. If you have a bike side harness and the FTECU connector, you can always check the software to see what your map is programmed at. Flush your cooling system like the previous guys said. I used to flush once a year and never saw any temps past 180 while at highway speeds on my R6.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
sixtwosix
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing