Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Banned
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some speculation here but it seems that the silence regarding the "15 dyno #'s is becoming deafening...With Graves working on the ECU's & different exhaust systems they undoubtedly have some baseline #'s. If they were even remotely close to the #'s that the S1000RR is putting out my guess is that they would have leaked out by now. It seems like the whispers of 155-160 for stock U.S. market bikes is gonna be pretty accurate. I cant lie...its a bit of a disappointment. My P.O.S. 1199 puts out 170-175 at the wheel on most dynos. May'be Yamaha should have spent a little more time in the dyno room instead of going crazy with all the electronics. It looks like the S1000RR is back in the running for my next bike!!! :crash

· Take the red pill
6,964 Posts
Not this again.

Try to understand that you'll have to flash the ECU of the new '15 R1. It's going to be limited from the factory, just like the previous crossplane R1, and the ZX-10. This is how all these bikes are going to arrive in the States, neutered. We won't know the real RWHP #'s until they have landed in the states, and the ECU guys have played with them to see the neutering on their computer screens. Derestricted I'd expect 180's at the back wheel so everyone try to remain patient.

· Premium Member
95 Posts
If you need S1000RR HP #s, why not get a S1000RR? I just don't understand the need or expectation for the R1 to be the liter class HP king. The R1 will be measured by its track performance. If the S1KRR's motor was the end all be all, it would be dominating superstock classes... it's NOT! Superstock grids last year were dominated by 1199s and 10Rs

· Registered
2,185 Posts
Oh, then I am sorry. You are obviously the only one that has been in the motorcycle industry and has many friends.

You said "Yamaha dropped the ball...again". That is a slight difference compared to saying "it has got lower top end horsepower than the BMW". And in my opinion, that is a dumbass comment when you know nothing about Yamahas intentions.

You always speak the truth Alatalo:thumbup

Why do people feel the need to make these retarded threads lol

on a serious note, i'm looking for a new exhaust. What should i get?

· Take the red pill
6,964 Posts
Yes and no proof to back it up... I asked before and you ignored my request. Show us where to find this amazing info you are keeping from us. :dunno
Agreed.

This new bike, while I cannot stand the riding position, seems to be the real deal Holyfield. My bike makes 170 (169.8) to the rear wheel (flashed, graves stacks, full system) so I find it real hard to believe his numbers with a brand new motor with rockers, forged internals (which I cannot state how awesome/badass that is), etc, is making what he is saying. That's all neutering from the factory in the electro-trickery-ecu. Someone will figure out how to unlock the power. For all we know at this stage, the got damn thing is a soft limiter at the top, that needs to be removed.

I don't care what he says or who he knows, no fvcking way. Rockers, forged internals, no fvcking way. Electro-trickery-neutering I say.

· Registered
782 Posts
Oh, then I am sorry. You are obviously the only one that has been in the motorcycle industry and has many friends.

You said "Yamaha dropped the ball...again". That is a slight difference compared to saying "it has got lower top end horsepower than the BMW". And in my opinion, that is a dumbass comment when you know nothing about Yamahas intentions.
Exactly - given the engine's design - slightly smaller throttle bodies, etc. It is my belief that Yamaha is using an incredibly sophisticated approach in the design of the R1's engine. It looks to produce excellent, seamless power from 8,000 rpm up to red line ~ 13,500-14,000. That is a huge range!

And remembering back to the R1's introduction, Yamaha made a very specific point of saying that the engine produced 200PS WITHOUT considering the impact of the excellently designed front air intake.

My take is that the R1's engine will prove to be superior to all of the others. No, you won't be able to prove it on a dyno, but, I bet, it will be evident on a race track. A huge power band, good mid range for an engine in this category and free, extra horsepower when it is needed most for top speed!

· WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,626 Posts
This thread is providing early entertainment for my Friday :corn

I can't wait until the ACTUAL numbers get revealed. The reason you don't hear about them is because of NDA's and everyone else who hears through the grapevine is hush hush. No one is saying ANYTHING until Yamaha says so.

Chris was at FTECU with a 2015 R1 ECU on the bench yesterday... :sing:

I think Baccus40 said it about a million times on this forum, but again, all engines will be the same globally. The only difference is the ECU spec, which will be tuned to meet the noise, emission, and legal spec of said country.

You actually save some coin by using Graves developed maps and flashes with their exhausts. Your baseline mappings will be a lot closer.

I hate the whole S1000RR vs '15 R1 horsepower debates... Both bikes make power differently. If it's not a track or racebike, how often are you in the 170-190 hp range? How wide is that range? How does that big hp correlate with your riding style?

For me, front-end feel is everything. HP is important, but with everything else in racing, there are compromises. I'll take 10 less top-end HP and perfect front-end feel vs. +10 HP and a sketchy front. I'm just saying...

· Registered
2,185 Posts
SHOW US WHERE THIS INFO IS? Why are you ignoring my request. Either show it or STFU!
You want the truth?!?!?! you cant handle the truth!!!!

I hate the whole S1000RR vs '15 R1 horsepower debates... Both bikes make power differently. If it's not a track or racebike, how often are you in the 170-190 hp range? How wide is that range? How does that big hp correlate with your riding style?

For me, front-end feel is everything. HP is important, but with everything else in racing, there are compromises. I'll take 10 less top-end HP and perfect front-end feel vs. +10 HP and a sketchy front. I'm just saying...
Cant really argue with a racer whos sponsored can we:thumbup

· Venom X/O
26,960 Posts
I don't believe the engines will be exactly the same. Well, the intakes and smog stuff will be different on the U.S. model over everyone else's bike. While technically not the "engine" it's still directly affecting the engine or bolted to it, so I'm bundling it all together.

· EL Capitan
95 Posts
The BMW and R1 debate is funny.
Quit looking at numbers and ride the 2 back to back.

I had a 2012 that put down 194, and my R1 only 162. Yet my R1 would kill the BMW in a roll on. My lap times were faster on the R1, and it was way more fun on the street.

Ride an 09-14 R1 for an hour then get on a BMW. You'd think the BMW is broken. There is no power under 9k. Now when the BMW gets wound up (11k-14k) it's a screamer. I literally would have to ride it like a 600. My r6 pulled harder down low than the BMW did, lol. Still loved the bike though.

All I'm saying is Dyno numbers are merely bragging numbers. But be careful. Brag about 200hp, and get pulled by a 155hp bike, you'll keep your helmet on at the gas station, lmao.

Now if you're saying, your BMW is 200hp and its a torque monster,,, you're on the wrong site.

I measure torque under 6k. Not sling torque at 15k. Why???? You're at 15k for a blink of an eye. I live in midrange. My torque gets me from apex to apex before any BMW. ;)

· For no ma'am
2,615 Posts

I can't wait until the ACTUAL numbers get revealed. The reason you don't hear about them is because of NDA's and everyone else who hears through the grapevine is hush hush. No one is saying ANYTHING until Yamaha says so.

I think Baccus40 said it about a million times on this forum, but again, all engines will be the same globally. The only difference is the ECU spec, which will be tuned to meet the noise, emission, and legal spec of said country.

You actually save some coin by using Graves developed maps and flashes with their exhausts. Your baseline mappings will be a lot closer.

Preach it brother, especially that last bit about front end feel. Although I suspect the dyno sheet, chicken strip club that gathers at the Starbucks every Saturday is confused as to why feel even matters when u got all dat HORSE POWER!!.

"If I wanted feels bro, I'd listen to some Kenny G on my iPod":nopity:

· I miss my R1
3,896 Posts
I wish I understood why anyone gives a shit about HP figures... the only numbers that matter are lap times, if performance is your main concern.

If you're a drag strip guy, I doubt the new R1 is your weapon when the H2R exists.

· Registered
1,183 Posts

Slightly off topic, but what does everyone think about the fact that Graves is already developing FTEcu maps for the 2015 R1 and Graves also posted the 2015 R1 interfaces up for sale before even FTEcu did? This all must mean that FTEcu has had access to the new ECU for atleast a little while right? How did they get access to one so early, and to be able to test everything on a bike so early (I'm assuming they did at least some sort of on bike verification of their ECU binary file definitions). You don't suppose this was done as Graves do you?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.