Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

As the 2015 R1 even in Europe seems to be heavily restricted by closed intake/exhaust flaps (below 8000rpm), I am considering working on those maps (buying my own flashing equipment).
Problem being: Are those settings actually accessible via ECU flash?

Full exhausts are no option where I live, for several reasons.
And from what I have picked up it's only part of the answer.

I have understood that the "low torque" (it's all relative ;) ) region between 5000 and 7500 is caused by "intake side flaps not open fully" and "exup walve shut up to 8000".
Can anybody confirm this?
If so, and if ECU programmable, it should be relatively simple to release the tamed ponies without to much being visible from outside, right?

· Gian11
1,625 Posts

· 2015 Yamaha R1
126 Posts
That definitely is a solution.. problem is they don´t know if European spec bikes will lose the inmobilizer with it.
I mailed them about it and thats what I got.. so holding off until other EUR spec bikes try it or they can guarantee it.
I've been chatting with them too. I'm from Australia and they don't know yet if you loose the immobiliser. I would say you would.
There is place here called Woolich Racing, look them up. Iv eleven using there flashing software for years and he gets into the ECU and pretty much unlocks every single parameter and is much easier to use then flash tune. He doesn't have anything yet tho.

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Banned
672 Posts
I've been chatting with them too. I'm from Australia and they don't know yet if you loose the immobiliser. I would say you would.
There is place here called Woolich Racing, look them up. Iv eleven using there flashing software for years and he gets into the ECU and pretty much unlocks every single parameter and is much easier to use then flash tune. He doesn't have anything yet tho.
I had a message from Woolich that says "....we are developing a product that will work similarly to your current Log Box set-up. The #1 superbike team in South Africa we sponsor has just moved over to the R1 so we have stepped up the priority on this function. We will also have a Race Tools kit for it soon as well (Launch Control, Quickshifter + Pit Speed Limiter)."
By the time we finally get our bikes it will all be ready :ncont:

· 2015 Yamaha R1
126 Posts
I had a message from Woolich that says "....we are developing a product that will work similarly to your current Log Box set-up. The #1 superbike team in South Africa we sponsor has just moved over to the R1 so we have stepped up the priority on this function. We will also have a Race Tools kit for it soon as well (Launch Control, Quickshifter + Pit Speed Limiter)."
By the time we finally get our bikes it will all be ready :ncont:
Well I don't know about you but I've had my bike for ages lol,i just want this Jerky throttle fixed. But on the other hand I'm still waiting on a decent exhaust at a reasonable price but I would rather a tune over that.

· Life is too short for traffic
38 Posts
Hi Guys

As the 2015 R1 even in Europe seems to be heavily restricted by closed intake/exhaust flaps (below 8000rpm), I am considering working on those maps (buying my own flashing equipment).
Problem being: Are those settings actually accessible via ECU flash?

Full exhausts are no option where I live, for several reasons.
And from what I have picked up it's only part of the answer.

I have understood that the "low torque" (it's all relative ;) ) region between 5000 and 7500 is caused by "intake side flaps not open fully" and "exup walve shut up to 8000".
Can anybody confirm this?
If so, and if ECU programmable, it should be relatively simple to release the tamed ponies without to much being visible from outside, right?

Juerg, I recently bought an FT_ECU device and installed it 10 days ago. I can't see any option to adjust the Exup rev setting or intake flaps. Anyhow, you can fully disable the Exup system. The attached picture shows all options you have. The ECU settings are adjusted via binary inputs (true/false) and the others by several tables that are partly gear specific.

As far as I can see, power limitations are done in the IGN cylinder offset, where the cylinders have different settings mainly around 4,500 rpm and 13.000 rpm. I guess, there are also gear specific limitations in the fuel tables, but due to a bug in the software I am not able to see the fuel tables with the current version 2.3.2.8.. I was told it is a known problem, but haven't received a solution yet.

Another area of possible optimization are the throttle by wire settings. The second picture shows the different throttle curves by the available power modes, taken from the EU stock file. One at 5% position and the other at 100% position. You can see, that the throttle is not fully open at 8,000 rpm, even in power mode 1. But of course I can't say whether there were more if it would be.

To improve the cruising behavior of the bike at low speed, the area of lower revs and throttle position needs to (and can) be optimized.

Unfortunately I am not yet able to make changes there as the current software version has an issue in this area, too.

Attachments

· Registered
344 Posts
I guess, there are also gear specific limitations in the fuel tables, but due to a bug in the software I am not able to see the fuel tables with the current version 2.3.2.8.. I was told it is a known problem, but haven't received a solution yet. .
I had the same problem...fuel/ign maps does not load.
It's your region settings that's the problem.

Please go to your Control Panel -> Region -> Formats -> Customize Format. Please change the Decimal symbol from a comma- , to a decimal point- .

Worked for me.

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hi Martin

Thanks, that's the area of my interest.
I am pretty sure that the dalayed release of torque (surge at 8000rpm) is deliberately done through flaps.
I don't know if it is the exup valve and/or the intake not opening fully.
The fact that a full system is making the curve smooth, makes me think that the exup valve stays shut up to 8000, for noise emission reasons and disabling just this would "cure" the "hole".
It is well possible that the throttle by wire is further restricting the bike in that range (to meet noise requirements)
It would be interesting to compare stock maps to race ecu maps!
The "jump" in torque is just to fast to be of "natural" mechanical reasons.

· Banned
672 Posts
Juerg, I recently bought an FT_ECU device and installed it 10 days ago.
I guess, there are also gear specific limitations in the fuel tables, but due to a bug in the software I am not able to see the fuel tables with the current version 2.3.2.8.. I was told it is a known problem, but haven't received a solution yet.
Unfortunately I am not yet able to make changes there as the current software version has an issue in this area, too.
Looks like you have bought a dud mate :corn

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Actualy no question answered, as I would like to see the dyno of a R1 with / without flash in stock configuration.
The above maps all are with "full system", so one doesn't know what is exhaust-related gains and what ECU related gains...
The exhaust is the same on the before and after runs of our dyno chart - so all gains are ECU related. Frankly, exhaust gains on this model will not be huge. Still worth it just for weight, sound and the power gain though.

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The exhaust is the same on the before and after runs of our dyno chart - so all gains are ECU related.
Sure, you are right, I missed this logic ;)
I won't see the gains at high RPM (Euro ECU not limited there), but the dip in the middle range should go then.
Frankly, exhaust gains on this model will not be huge. Still worth it just for weight, sound and the power gain though.
Problem is that one looses the drivers license for using illegal exhausts where I live, so not worth it. I'll probably eiter stick with stock or put an Akra Slip-On...
Besides, the stock exhaust sounds great imho.

· Collector
1,016 Posts
the stock exhaust sounds great imho.
Great when I commute to work in the morning. Neighbor does not hear me at 6:30am. Stealth on the highway when aggressive.

Sucks on the track when I need the bark to get me really pumping and everyone else howling away. Maybe a slipon will help somewhat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.