Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me in advance, still learning the dynamics of this site.
My girlfriend bought me womet-tech frame sliders, never heard of them but they look alright for now! I installed right side perfectly fine.. removed left bolt and immediately tried replacing with slider bolt and found the engine shifted (down) nearly 2mm!! The factory bolt was NOT cross threaded but the threads in engine looked questionable! I tried to jack the engine (bike not tied down, had my brother 215lb sit on it) got the bolt almost all the way in but it stopped! Tried to remove it and learned my mistake, (uneven pressure) caused it to bind.. finally got it remove and found thread damage!! Fck!!! Has this happened to anyone else?
I was able to barrow a trailer, strap the bike properly, support the engine, loosen right side mount and raise the engine into place! Used a tap, same size as factory bolt to clean threads, didn't have a die, so used a nut to clean up the bolt and threaded right in, torqued to 38ftlb (I don't have NM):frown2: and I'm hoping it's good to go!
Before I joined here I read a few others had this problem but cant find the post! Sorry for the long winded post, but I just want to get it out there, incase this is a common problem, possible side effect from the recall for 2015?? Im sure the engine was removed for that? Also was I supposed to support the engine prior to removing 1 bolt at a time, kinda seems like I should have. Done a few in the past without supporting, maybe I got lucky!

·
Registered
214 Posts
No problems here when I put my woodcraft sliders on. Did the right side then the left. Had no issues.

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
Watch those frame sliders only good for low speed lay downs.high speed they usualy catch something and start flipping never liked them and don't use them but to each their own

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Watch those frame sliders only good for low speed lay downs.high speed they usualy catch something and start flipping never liked them and don't use them but to each their own
I could see that!?? but honestly my current pace is more low speed anyway lol!
Damned if you do damned if you don't, wrecking just sux!

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
I could see that!?? but honestly my current pace is more low speed anyway lol!
Damned if you do damned if you don't, wrecking just sux!
I hear just go with the lowest profile just enough to protect the frame and engine screw the fairing their expensive but not structual

·
My R1 is my Pacemaker
568 Posts
Had no issue installing the woodcrafts on my M... put her on a rear stand..put a towel on a jack and supported the collector before I removed anything then I did the right side then the left side...ran them almost flush using fingers only then 51 ft/lbs like the manual says and no issues at all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Unacceptable
1,378 Posts
Had no issue installing the woodcrafts on my M... put her on a rear stand..put a towel on a jack and supported the collector before I removed anything then I did the right side then the left side...ran them almost flush using fingers only then 51 ft/lbs like the manual says and no issues at all...
I tried that as well but the bolt only went in halfway before stopping. Decided to seek some professional help before I screwed something up. :D

·
My R1 is my Pacemaker
568 Posts
I dunno if it means anything but I did all this with zero miles on the bike I dunno if it's possible to shift in operation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Become one with THE ONE.
597 Posts
No problems here when I put my woodcraft sliders on. Did the right side then the left. Had no issues.
Same here, right then left but don't think it would be different if I did left then right. Pit Bull rear stand but don't remember I used the forklift or head-lift front stand when I changed it. After reading couple posts on crossed thread, I was cautious during installing. Especially Wood Craft sent the wrong screw for my 99R1 from years back. They were quick to air ship the correct one. They were start up company then. The set for the 2016 is much better machined and seems to designed much better than the 99 or 02R1.

Did you changed it without stands and only used the factor side stand? Just wonder the uneven load causes more stretch on one side cause the shift/drop of engine?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had it on rear stand and fork stand. Is it common practice to support the engine before removing 1 bolt at a time? Also I am reading guys that are supporting and jacking by the collector pipe? To me that seems like a no-no. I used a thin block of between the pipes, directly on the oil pan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^that was incorrect, I used stands during first attempt to install, (when it snafud). But to fix it I strapped to a trailer as if I was transporting it, straight up and down, then backed the right side bolt, jacked engine into place and tapped the whole.
I have pix but to stupid to figure out to upload here!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Forgive me in advance, still learning the dynamics of this site.
My girlfriend bought me womet-tech frame sliders, never heard of them but they look alright for now! I installed right side perfectly fine.. removed left bolt and immediately tried replacing with slider bolt and found the engine shifted (down) nearly 2mm!! The factory bolt was NOT cross threaded but the threads in engine looked questionable! I tried to jack the engine (bike not tied down, had my brother 215lb sit on it) got the bolt almost all the way in but it stopped! Tried to remove it and learned my mistake, (uneven pressure) caused it to bind.. finally got it remove and found thread damage!! Fck!!! Has this happened to anyone else?
I was able to barrow a trailer, strap the bike properly, support the engine, loosen right side mount and raise the engine into place! Used a tap, same size as factory bolt to clean threads, didn't have a die, so used a nut to clean up the bolt and threaded right in, torqued to 38ftlb (I don't have NM):frown2: and I'm hoping it's good to go!
Before I joined here I read a few others had this problem but cant find the post! Sorry for the long winded post, but I just want to get it out there, incase this is a common problem, possible side effect from the recall for 2015?? Im sure the engine was removed for that? Also was I supposed to support the engine prior to removing 1 bolt at a time, kinda seems like I should have. Done a few in the past without supporting, maybe I got lucky!
Do you remember what size tap you used ran into the same problem

1 - 15 of 15 Posts