Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really just wanted to vent...

About a month and a half ago I was riding home from work and started to hear a clicking/clacking sound from the bike... No noticeable sluggish response from the engine or anything was noticed... Oil level was fine... I called a dealership and explained what I was hearing and they said to bring it by, sounds like cam chain tensioner...

Dropped it off the day after I started hearing the sound, and a week later they called and said it wasn’t the tensioner but, they thought it may be the clutch and wanted to do an oil change with a slightly heavier weight oil... They would call back after they did that...

They called back, clutch adjustment and oil change made the sound slightly quieter but it was still present and they wanted to call Yamaha and get their take on it... Yamaha said they haven’t heard of any other issues and to have me pick the bike back up and ride it until something fails giving them a “smoking gun”... I was very hesitant to do that because a) if it failed and locked the rear wheel that would be bad and b) what could be relatively moderate repair cost could turn into an astronomical one... They said not to worry too much about that because Yamaha would likely cover a portion of the bill... I went back in and the tech ensured me it would work out (in so many words)...

I go back in, pick up the bike, made it a mile and a half before the clicking sound turned into a clunking sound... Immediately shut the bike down and had the bike towed back to the dealer... They called the following week, said they dropped the oil pan and noticed the connecting rod on cylinder 1 was bad and it would require a total tear down and rebuild... I asked what type of compensation would Yamaha be willing to contribute, they said they would get back to me...

A few days later they called and said, Yamaha doesn’t know how the engine was ran before I bought it and weren’t willing to contribute anything to this repair...

They gave me an estimate of bare minimum $3,700 for parts and labor...

Of note, bike has 9,000 miles on it, I bought it with 4,200... I’ve never tracked the bike...

This whole thing sounds a bit shady on Yamahas part...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Avid two wheel therapy abuser
417 Posts
Dealers and factories will always go to any excuse not to cover any repairs. Engine failure like that at 9,000 it’s unacceptable when these bikes cost so much damn money too. That sucks man, I take it you didn’t get an extended warranty of any kind or anything like that?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealers and factories will always go to any excuse not to cover any repairs. Engine failure like that at 9,000 it’s unacceptable when these bikes cost so much damn money too. That sucks man, I take it you didn’t get an extended warranty of any kind or anything like that?

No man, I bought it from Craigslist from another service member, took a friend of mine with me that had been riding his entire adult life to go over everything, listen for quirks and what not... He also has a 15 R1 ironically enough his bike was just stolen yesterday...

·
64 degrees?? Pfff. I can do 90
79 Posts
Is it under warranty? If it is, this is clearly a defective assembly or part, regardless of service. If it is not under warranty it's just luck of the draw. Sometimes you win, you loose some. Don't be afraid to grab a copy of the service manual. Perhaps if you can take the motor out and put it back in yourself so the labor would be a bit less. At full shop rate, with the motor out, it shouldn't take more than a day to take apart and a day to put back together, given dealers are "professionals" (with an eye roll) and charge accordingly for it.

Not sure if it makes you feel better but I just found out someone at a dealership re-assembled mine incorrectly when it has 0 miles, 2000 now, and it pissed oil everywhere at the track. Good thing it has race fairings. Yup. Professional job right there. Oh and the fuel pump failed. And the battery completely died. twice. 10 years with a CBR 1000RR, 70,000km and literally 0 mechanical failures.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it under warranty? If it is, this is clearly a defective assembly or part, regardless of service. If it is not under warranty it's just luck of the draw. Sometimes you win, you loose some. Don't be afraid to grab a copy of the service manual. Perhaps if you can take the motor out and put it back in yourself so the labor would be a bit less. At full shop rate, with the motor out, it shouldn't take more than a day to take apart and a day to put back together, given dealers are "professionals" (with an eye roll) and charge accordingly for it.

Not sure if it makes you feel better but I just found out someone at a dealership re-assembled mine incorrectly when it has 0 miles, 2000 now, and it pissed oil everywhere at the track. Good thing it has race fairings. Yup. Professional job right there. Oh and the fuel pump failed. And the battery completely died. twice. 10 years with a CBR 1000RR, 70,000km and literally 0 mechanical failures.

So funny you said that about the CBR1000... One of my buddies essentially said the same thing... but more to add insult to injury.

I’m going to attempt a call to Yamaha myself tomorrow... 9,000 miles seems extremely low to have an issue like this... Just my luck I guess...

EDIT: didn’t answer your first question, no not under warranty unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
number one cylinder is the farthest away from where the oil is fed into the crank for the connecting rods. there have been a few i have seen and i think there was one on here not too long ago that blew at 2000 miles spun rod bearings. if someone takes off the right engine cover and messes up that seal it can cause a low oil pressure issue for the crank and depending how much pressure you have you will see exactly that issue your having. it may not actually be a yamaha problem seeing as you don't know what was done to the bike before. if that guy dropped it over in his garage and replaced that cover thinking he was doing a proper repair or something that could be enough right there

·
Unacceptable
1,205 Posts
10 years with a CBR 1000RR, 70,000km and literally 0 mechanical failures.
My 2008 CBR1000RR died @ 12,000 miles. Engine failure due to poor machining at the factory...several valve seats were not concentric, rings were crappy, and the metal backing to the cam chain guide was broken. And yes, it was an oil-burner. What a POS bike.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
number one cylinder is the farthest away from where the oil is fed into the crank for the connecting rods. there have been a few i have seen and i think there was one on here not too long ago that blew at 2000 miles spun rod bearings. if someone takes off the right engine cover and messes up that seal it can cause a low oil pressure issue for the crank and depending how much pressure you have you will see exactly that issue your having. it may not actually be a yamaha problem seeing as you don't know what was done to the bike before. if that guy dropped it over in his garage and replaced that cover thinking he was doing a proper repair or something that could be enough right there

I’m not really saying it’s Yamahas issue per se, my issue with Yamaha is just that I took the bike in before any major failure and they told me to literally ride it until it breaks... I got that it isn’t under warranty but, when I DID bring it in for something not seeming right and then this happen within 2 miles I think that’s pretty shitty...

I’m not expecting them to foot the entire bill but Jesus maybe a back scratch or reach around would be nice...

·
64 degrees?? Pfff. I can do 90
79 Posts
Yeah, it would be nice if they took some of the responsibility. Did you figure out what you are going to do?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I am pretty pissed about this whole thing...

This whole thing has taken 4 months from when the sound first started... A quick recap, after I picked the bike up and sat stranded on the side of the road for 4 hours waiting on the tow truck I had the dealership come pick the bike back up from the house (this was back in September). The called and said it was definitely a spun bearing

They gave me an estimate of around $3,500 for the repair, so I gave them the thumbs up to order all the parts... That took forever to get the parts in, they finally got everything and started the rebuild about 3 weeks ago. Last week they called and said it was ready to be picked up so, I left work early on Friday to pick her up and hand over part of my soul as payment...

We go outside and he starts the bike, and I swear it doesn't sound any better than it did the first time I dropped it off... I am no mechanic but, it still just didn't sound right... The service manager starts throwing terms at me that go over my head and assures me that the bike is 100% OK. I pay the dude, get on the bike and the sound starts to get quieter as I'm on it. I get about a mile from my house and the oil pressure light comes on while I'm at idle at a stoplight but, goes away as I started to accel away. By the time I got the bike back to the house the oil pressure light stays on. I will not start the bike again, here is what it sounded like when I got it home...

$4,000 and this is what I got back... Hell nah, tempted to contact an attorney.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,329 Posts
They definitely ****ed up that job. Wow I’d take it right back and say make it right.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I woulda had it back that day. I’m sure you called them once home though.

I absolutely called when I got home, was told the oil pressure light was an air bubble in the system...

If I hadn’t been less than a mile from my house I would have immediately turned around and had the bike back with them.

I called this morning to schedule them to pick the bike up because I refuse to even start it again, let alone ride it.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
About this Discussion
105 Replies
24 Participants
bacchus40
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing