Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2015 R1 "Err" on dash, and won't start

4K views 29 replies 3 participants last post by  Gearheaded 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I bought an R1 a few weeks ago as a new race bike, and then prompty flung it off the track at 145mph while chasing the leader. I'm fine, but the bike basically disintegrated down to frame/motor/swingarm/wheels, and I've been rebuilding it.

The bike is back together now with an eBay wire harness and the same dash/ECU that crashed, and I've got a lingering electrical problem I can't sort out. When I turn the bike on, I get "err" in the top right of the screen. The Service manual tells me that this means there's a problem with the ECU and the Dash communicating with one another. Last weekend a fellow racer lent me two spare harnesses, two spare ECUs. and a dash. I swapped through every combination of my parts and his parts without ever resolving this "Err" on the dash, or being able to get the fuel pump to prime (I also swapped in a new fuel pump after the crash).

I'm at the end of my ability to troubleshoot here, and the next round is coming up in a couple of weeks. Any clues?

Here's a quick little video:

#3 ·
1. 22 is I think air temp sensor but that shouldn't stop it from starting. 2. 2015 has the self diagnostic mode built in they didn't take that away till 17 so go to the mechanical help section and download the service manual for the instructions. I bet it will help you solve this.

#4 ·
Correct, 22 is the air temp sensor. I had intended to mention that, but I missed it. The sensor got obliterated in the crash, and I need to steal the plug from a scrap harness this coming weekend. It's obviously not great, but it shouldn't be related, and it'll be resolved soon.

I've definitely got the service manual, and I'm super grateful to this forum for hosting it. I've gone through that section, and used the diagnostic mode, but it wasn't giving me very clear answers. It's been a couple of weeks since I tried that though, and I forget most of the specifics of what it was doing. I'll try it again this evening and see if it makes more sense now that I've resolved some of the other issues.

I thought Err in the dash could also be tied to ABS system not working or the IMU gone bad
I've got the ABS deleted (with the proper plug to delete it and whatnot), and I swapped IMUs as well. I don't believe this is the issue, but I'm willing to give it a look!

#10 ·
Get into diag mode, navigate to diag code 61, see if the secondary numbers change. I see a number 13 which is intake air, but it’ll change if other codes exist. You can determine what other faults you have that may be stopping the engine from starting.
I have to edit, I don’t think I hear the pump priming. I hear the electrical ringing, but not a pump priming. Granted that could be because you have a primed system from trying to start it, I’m not sure. May want to pull the tank, check the fuel line and wires to the pump.

#14 ·
61 shows:

But it's worth mentioning, I have replaced almost everything on this machine, everything has been unplugged. codes like 41/98/99 should be in there from when I unplugged the IMU while troubleshooting, right? Those SHOULD be in the history, right?

#15 ·
13 intake air temp open or short
15 tps open or short
20 intake pressure voltage
23 atmosphere pressure sensor open or short
30 latch up detected
41 imu
50 faulty ecu memory
59 accelerator position sensor open or short
60 ycc-t drive system
89 signals not working between meter and ecu
98 imu signals
99 no signal emu and ecu

this is quite the arrangement of issues i would say 1, you need to hookup that intake sensor that solves like 3 of these. after that i would check your ground wires maybe the one under the fuel tank where it connects to the frame. after that maybe mismatches wiring harnesses and ecus, meters. make sure they are all 2CR prefix and they are all usa parts

#16 ·
13 intake air temp open or short
15 tps open or short
20 intake pressure voltage
23 atmosphere pressure sensor open or short
30 latch up detected
41 imu
50 faulty ecu memory
59 accelerator position sensor open or short
60 ycc-t drive system
89 signals not working between meter and ecu
98 imu signals
99 no signal emu and ecu

this is quite the arrangement of issues i would say 1, you need to hookup that intake sensor that solves like 3 of these. after that i would check your ground wires maybe the one under the fuel tank where it connects to the frame. after that maybe mismatches wiring harnesses and ecus, meters. make sure they are all 2CR prefix and they are all usa parts
Yes, but these are in the history, right? They’re not active when I start the bike. I have over the course of the last few weeks specifically caused each of these issues as I’ve swapped harnesses around. 13 is the only active error code, and I’ll have it resolved this weekend.

Am I misunderstanding the nature of an error code history?

#19 · (Edited)
I probably did at various times during the troubleshooting. Additionally the old harness was damaged in the crash and it was cut/stretched/damaged at a few different places.

61 is active codes, 62 is history, 63 is reinstatement. All those codes you’re seeing are active if they’re in page 61 of diag mode
Not that I'm about to argue with someone helping me, because I am very grateful for it. But the above screenshot of the service manual calls 60 "EEPROM fault code display"
61 "Malfunction history code display",
62 is the erasure function and displays the total number of faults in the history,
63 is the reinstatement function for select fault codes.

I don't understand why it would call 61 history, and show the active ones, according to my reading of the manual. But again, I'm floundering here and looking to understand, not argue. If I'm missing something I'm dying to know it. I'm here to ride my motorcycle this weekend, not to prove myself right to the internet.

Am I to understand that my Accelerator position sensor, IMU and TPS are both broken currently? Shouldn't a broken IMU give another CEL code on the main page of the dash? (Code 41?)

#24 ·
@solson1041

peek into the active codes again. If you read the page cut for page 60 in diag mode, it says it only has codes for 01-04, 11, and 44.

Then you have page 61 which is for codes 08-99

the way that reads for me is:
Page 60 is for active codes for the ecu
Page 61 is for active codes for the rest of the bike
Page 62 is clearing codes
Page 63 is for reinstating codes.

Maybe I’m wrong, but when I was chasing a fuel pump problem I was using page 61 for active codes not page 60.

#28 ·
Update for anyone following along in the future:

I tried to reflash my ECU back to a stock file from FlashTune, but I couldn't get the FT software to connect to my ECU. Then, I got out to the track this weekend and put my ECU in my friend's 2015 R1. His bike does the exact same thing as mine does. His bike wouldn't start, fuel pump wouldn't prime. He had no errors on his dash though. I hesitated to put his ECU on my bike, because I know it's possible for a bad harness to put an error on an ECU, and I wasn't going to put his bike at risk for the weekend.

New ECU is coming from eBay, and hopefully it arrives before next weekend.

#29 ·
I have a few answers to put down for anyone from the future: Ultimately it's all working correctly now.

New ECU arrived, and the bike still wouldn't start. Fuel pump wouldn't prime. This was very frustrating, so I just went back to square one and decided to troubleshoot it as though I knew nothing, turns out the "new" replacement fuel pump I put in initially was no good, all of the metal inside was corroded and it didn't work. I put in another good fuel pump, and the bike came to life.

Then I found out that my FT cable itself was broken, and that's why I couldn't get the software to communicate with my ECU. So that was a bummer, but now THAT is also resolved.

The ERR on dash seems to have been caused by a poorly installed (by me) ABS delete "plug". It looks like I bent over a couple of the contacts inside the plug when I first connected it, and that wasn't happy. So props to GearHeaded for being right about that basically from the start. Beware of this, though. Initially I didn't particularly manhandle the thing when I first tried plugging it in, but it wouldn't go in right. Eventually I forced it in, and that bent the contacts inside. Seems like the plug has enough tolerance in it, that it's not idiot proof. So try to find a non-idiot to help you here if you need it like I clearly did.

I think that summarizes it. Fuel pump was bad, ECU was bad, ABS delete was "bad". The layering of fuel pump + ECU that somehow doesn't communicate with the fuel pump + the mysterious "ERR" code in the top right which I couldn't find clear answers of in the Service manual acting as a red herring = a confusing and frustrating few weeks.

She's working now though, and I'm heading down to Barber in a couple more weeks to spend three days testing/riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.