Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
No no, youā€™re correct. I apologize I was reading it wrong. Clear the codes anyways, while youā€™re in there.
The err I still think is from the abs delete. Your CEao light shouldnā€™t cause that err
Interesting. I don't have any way to "undelete" the ABS right now, so I guess I'll proceed as I can (ABS pump was destroyed in the crash. It was left plugged in, but the lines were unused.) I don't see how an ABS issue would keep the fuel pump from priming, but I guess no matter what the end issue is, we've got something strange going on regardless.

On the other side, just to help out anyone in the future who might read this thread. We've been in touch with some of the folks at Graves, and they have been pointing me very strongly at it being a corrupt flash issue. I've been trying to reflash the ECU using the flashtune software and the cable which came with the bike. Maybe I spliced their harness in poorly, but I can't get it to connect or work. I'm going to the track this weekend to work with my team regardless of if I'm riding or not. I'm going to try putting my ECU on another working R1 and see if his bike runs. I'm hesitant to put his ECU on my bike in case somehow there's something odd about my bike as a system which could hurt his ECU somehow, so I'll be slow to do that.

Afterwards, the track is very close to the guy we use for tuning, so we'll see if we can get a woolich flash straight to the ECU (obviating any errors I may have made to the harness splice I did), and see if that works.

Of course, none of this really makes much sense because I had a whole different ECU plugged into it a couple of weeks ago for testing, but perhaps it was bad somehow, idk. The problem doesn't make any sense to me at this point, so I'm doing things that don't fully make sense either.

Interesting. I don't have any way to "undelete" the ABS right now, so I guess I'll proceed as I can (ABS pump was destroyed in the crash. It was left plugged in, but the lines were unused.) I don't see how an ABS issue would keep the fuel pump from priming, but I guess no matter what the end issue is, we've got something strange going on regardless.

On the other side, just to help out anyone in the future who might read this thread. We've been in touch with some of the folks at Graves, and they have been pointing me very strongly at it being a corrupt flash issue. I've been trying to reflash the ECU using the flashtune software and the cable which came with the bike. Maybe I spliced their harness in poorly, but I can't get it to connect or work. I'm going to the track this weekend to work with my team regardless of if I'm riding or not. I'm going to try putting my ECU on another working R1 and see if his bike runs. I'm hesitant to put his ECU on my bike in case somehow there's something odd about my bike as a system which could hurt his ECU somehow, so I'll be slow to do that.

Afterwards, the track is very close to the guy we use for tuning, so we'll see if we can get a woolich flash straight to the ECU (obviating any errors I may have made to the harness splice I did), and see if that works.

Of course, none of this really makes much sense because I had a whole different ECU plugged into it a couple of weeks ago for testing, but perhaps it was bad somehow, idk. The problem doesn't make any sense to me at this point, so I'm doing things that don't fully make sense either.
I donā€™t think the abs is causing no pump prime, I think itā€™s just causing the err on the dash. The no pump priming sounds like something either key delete, or something else. What about it the clutch switch? That damaged? Kickstand stuff?

@solson1041

peek into the active codes again. If you read the page cut for page 60 in diag mode, it says it only has codes for 01-04, 11, and 44.

Then you have page 61 which is for codes 08-99

the way that reads for me is:
Page 60 is for active codes for the ecu
Page 61 is for active codes for the rest of the bike
Page 62 is clearing codes
Page 63 is for reinstating codes.

Maybe Iā€™m wrong, but when I was chasing a fuel pump problem I was using page 61 for active codes not page 60.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
I donā€™t think the abs is causing no pump prime, I think itā€™s just causing the err on the dash. The no pump priming sounds like something either key delete, or something else. What about it the clutch switch? That damaged? Kickstand stuff?
Ya know... This is a good point. The bike should still start in this exact example (don't need the clutch to start it in N on the kickstand). But the "err" might be totally irrelevant to my issue. I could put a real ABS pump on there, replace that intake pressure sensor, and have no codes, but the same no-start issue. Maybe I should go back to basics.

It is worth mentioning, though, that I also can't get into the menu portion of the dash. When I hold down the scroll wheel button, it never goes over to that second page of the dash menu. I think this supports the idea that it's a more complicated software issue than basic kickstand-esque issue, but I'm obviously missing something here, so I can't rule anything out.

Ya know... This is a good point. The bike should still start in this exact example (don't need the clutch to start it in N on the kickstand). But the "err" might be totally irrelevant to my issue. I could put a real ABS pump on there, replace that intake pressure sensor, and have no codes, but the same no-start issue. Maybe I should go back to basics.

It is worth mentioning, though, that I also can't get into the menu portion of the dash. When I hold down the scroll wheel button, it never goes over to that second page of the dash menu. I think this supports the idea that it's a more complicated software issue than basic kickstand-esque issue, but I'm obviously missing something here, so I can't rule anything out.
I did notice it took way longer for you to get into diag mode than my bike does. Not sure if that helps determine it might be a computer issue. It should be quicker than in the video you posted

Discussion starter · #27 ·
I did notice it took way longer for you to get into diag mode than my bike does. Not sure if that helps determine it might be a computer issue. It should be quicker than in the video you posted
Luckily, that's just because I hit the button poorly. If you watch closely or listen with headphones, you see I had to "rehit" the two buttons at once, once I realized my holding it wasn't working.

THAT part isn't broken, lol.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Update for anyone following along in the future:

I tried to reflash my ECU back to a stock file from FlashTune, but I couldn't get the FT software to connect to my ECU. Then, I got out to the track this weekend and put my ECU in my friend's 2015 R1. His bike does the exact same thing as mine does. His bike wouldn't start, fuel pump wouldn't prime. He had no errors on his dash though. I hesitated to put his ECU on my bike, because I know it's possible for a bad harness to put an error on an ECU, and I wasn't going to put his bike at risk for the weekend.

New ECU is coming from eBay, and hopefully it arrives before next weekend.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I have a few answers to put down for anyone from the future: Ultimately it's all working correctly now.

New ECU arrived, and the bike still wouldn't start. Fuel pump wouldn't prime. This was very frustrating, so I just went back to square one and decided to troubleshoot it as though I knew nothing, turns out the "new" replacement fuel pump I put in initially was no good, all of the metal inside was corroded and it didn't work. I put in another good fuel pump, and the bike came to life.

Then I found out that my FT cable itself was broken, and that's why I couldn't get the software to communicate with my ECU. So that was a bummer, but now THAT is also resolved.

The ERR on dash seems to have been caused by a poorly installed (by me) ABS delete "plug". It looks like I bent over a couple of the contacts inside the plug when I first connected it, and that wasn't happy. So props to GearHeaded for being right about that basically from the start. Beware of this, though. Initially I didn't particularly manhandle the thing when I first tried plugging it in, but it wouldn't go in right. Eventually I forced it in, and that bent the contacts inside. Seems like the plug has enough tolerance in it, that it's not idiot proof. So try to find a non-idiot to help you here if you need it like I clearly did.

I think that summarizes it. Fuel pump was bad, ECU was bad, ABS delete was "bad". The layering of fuel pump + ECU that somehow doesn't communicate with the fuel pump + the mysterious "ERR" code in the top right which I couldn't find clear answers of in the Service manual acting as a red herring = a confusing and frustrating few weeks.

She's working now though, and I'm heading down to Barber in a couple more weeks to spend three days testing/riding.

I have a few answers to put down for anyone from the future: Ultimately it's all working correctly now.

New ECU arrived, and the bike still wouldn't start. Fuel pump wouldn't prime. This was very frustrating, so I just went back to square one and decided to troubleshoot it as though I knew nothing, turns out the "new" replacement fuel pump I put in initially was no good, all of the metal inside was corroded and it didn't work. I put in another good fuel pump, and the bike came to life.

Then I found out that my FT cable itself was broken, and that's why I couldn't get the software to communicate with my ECU. So that was a bummer, but now THAT is also resolved.

The ERR on dash seems to have been caused by a poorly installed (by me) ABS delete "plug". It looks like I bent over a couple of the contacts inside the plug when I first connected it, and that wasn't happy. So props to GearHeaded for being right about that basically from the start. Beware of this, though. Initially I didn't particularly manhandle the thing when I first tried plugging it in, but it wouldn't go in right. Eventually I forced it in, and that bent the contacts inside. Seems like the plug has enough tolerance in it, that it's not idiot proof. So try to find a non-idiot to help you here if you need it like I clearly did.

I think that summarizes it. Fuel pump was bad, ECU was bad, ABS delete was "bad". The layering of fuel pump + ECU that somehow doesn't communicate with the fuel pump + the mysterious "ERR" code in the top right which I couldn't find clear answers of in the Service manual acting as a red herring = a confusing and frustrating few weeks.

She's working now though, and I'm heading down to Barber in a couple more weeks to spend three days testing/riding.
Enjoy Barber, beautiful track. I was there for the final round at MotoAmerica and it was a beaut. So much artwork hidden throughout.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.