Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Life is too short for traffic
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A German team (Michi-Motorsport) has published dyno results from the new R1 (fully stock). Haven't seen a graph yet but they state in their facebook post 200.4 hp (clutch), 185.7 at rear wheel. Their comment is, that the power loss of currently 14.7 hp would be expected to drop to 11-12 hp after some 300 mls of run in.

They plan to provide further results with modified setup (Akra, ECU, funnels, ...). Hope they will provide a chart, too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michi-Motorsport/313972905459382

Attachments

· kickin' at the darkness
10,318 Posts
thanks for the info, that sounds promising, and yes the estimates of power losses once broken-in appear to be in the ballpark

nice to see the fugly lights removed

ohhh purdy!! me want, me want!!

10,318 Posts
Good news! I guess this will shut people up. About 10 down on the BMW, but still a strong bike!
yeah its definitely not something most folks will even notice, once you factor in the electronics package and the sheer nature of the xplanker, i'm sure it will please a good bunch!!
Yamaha appears to be aiming for gold, cant wait to see how development goes :ncont:

10,318 Posts
interesting point, yes once ram air factors in, R1s larger volume airbox and intake design should make some form of a difference, impossible to measure on dyno :thumbup

· Registered
52 Posts
yeah its definitely not something most folks will even notice, once you factor in the electronics package and the sheer nature of the xplanker, i'm sure it will please a good bunch!!
Yamaha appears to be aiming for gold, cant wait to see how development goes :ncont:
10 hp is noticeable. Just ask anyone changing an exhaust for example..
I have no doubt it is a beast! Looking forward to see the battle between this, the Duc and the BMW the next few weeks. It seems like all are rocketships

· Life is too short for traffic
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
interesting point, yes once ram air factors in, R1s larger volume airbox and intake design should make some form of a difference, impossible to measure on dyno :thumbup
I remember there was a report about that in a bike magazine around 10 years ago. They measured the airbox pressure under real riding conditions at different speed and simulated this pressure on the dyno with fans. The additional power output was significant already from 50 mph upwards. The peak was at around +10 hp with an RN12, if I remember correctly. Maybe I can find this old magazine somewhere.

10,318 Posts
i mean in the sense of actual differences in peak power, once the electronics come into play unless you're pinned at the track most wont... real world,
road which is where most will end up.. and generally thats the crowd that does most of the hatin'... we all know thats the case, generally the less informed :icon_cool:

when you're swapping exhaust the whole bandwidth changes, its hp and torque increases everywhere, depending on how far you take it...
both bikes back to back with similar mods, previous experience between an S1KRR traditional i4 engine vs R1s xplanker means the diff is all at peak

the power output is completely different between the platforms, i believe the R1s is much more useable, as in it will very likely make more HP at several more points across the bandwidth
and this is where you do most of the riding, at least one member has posted difference between the earlier model S1Krr (hp4 mind you) and the new one was nothing to write home about,
the only diff. noticed was right up at peak, just a little extra than previously... this is very likely not the case on the R1, specially with how fast they say it revs... thats all :dunno

· performance first
2,937 Posts

· 99 R1
1,145 Posts
I remember there was a report about that in a bike magazine around 10 years ago. They measured the airbox pressure under real riding conditions at different speed and simulated this pressure on the dyno with fans. The additional power output was significant already from 50 mph upwards. The peak was at around +10 hp with an RN12, if I remember correctly. Maybe I can find this old magazine somewhere.

yep you are correct, I have it in my BOTM thread ...

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9508_ram/index.html

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9912_ram/index.html

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9910_ram/index.html

· Banned
432 Posts
Man, that number is outstanding...Even if the US bike loses 15 h.p. due to noise & emissions equip. that will still be a really fast bike.

Finally!!!

Hopefully the mid range is there but I don't see why it wouldn't be.

I'm stoked!!! :icon_twisted:

· Collector
1,016 Posts
At this point, if the US spec is putting out 170hp @ the rear unflashed, I will be extremely satisfied!
With the complete blackout on info over the last few weeks. I was starting to doubt my decision in putting down $2500 unseen and thinking that I should have waited.

· Registered
485 Posts
I have no doubt it is a beast! Looking forward to see the battle between this, the Duc and the BMW the next few weeks. It seems like all are rocketships
10 HP is noticeable but with any bike making north of 150HP at the rear wheel and using street rubber will far exceed the limits of traction in any of the the lower gears. This is where the electronics come in.

In the upper gears the R1's superior air inlet design will help some but something that hasn't been mentioned are the superior aerodynamics of the new R1. Remember it's 8% better than the previous version and I would bet it's a bit better than the BMW.

Finally, the bike is 10 lbs lighter than the "15" S1000RR too!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.