Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Just wanted to give a quick review of my experience after having my 2015 R1 on Track this weekend for the first time @ Arizona Motorsports Park. This was a test and tune day for me, just getting the feel for the new steed.

To start off, the suspension was all stock, race sag, compression, pre-load, rebound, etc all setup for me and tweaked a few times during the day. I weigh 205 lbs. The exhaust and engine were stock California spec bike. I did flash the ECU to run an Unrestricted tune (so the throttle wouldn't cut down to 82% open above 12.5K RPM). I was lucky enough that Vortex sent me their first production rear sprocket (+2 teeth in the rear) so I could compensate for the larger radius 200/60 slick pirelli I was running. 520 EK chain as well. Tires were Pirelli slicks as I mentioned, SC2 front and rear. Sharkskinz confirmed that they shipped my plastics today! So those will be on soon too :)

Now on to my impression. This bike is insanely fast! My previous track bikes have included an R6, S1000RR, and RSV4 Factory. The R1 pulled harder down the straights than any of them! The mid-range or something, because I was shocked. It loves powering out of corners and being on 1 wheel. The LIF system did a great job of just letting the front wheel hover without "cutting" power. However, because of the gearing for tight corners, I was trying to figure out to ride 2nd gear or first. Avoid at all costs dropping below 8K rpm. The bike is simply dead below that. One nice feel about the motor is that there is NOT a lot of engine braking. I like a neutral feel off throttle on bikes, and this one does just that. Down shift a gear and the engine isn't slowing you down much. This allows your trail braking to me very controlled when slowly getting off the binders.

The transmission was amazing. Upshifts with the QSS on setting 1 were flawless and there was no feeling of a drop in power between gears. If I hadn't switched gears myself I never would have noticed I upshifted it's that smooth! Downshifts were just as good. Quick throttle blip and the the slipper clutch did amazing things keeping the rear end under control.

This bike just wants to be leaned over. If you're not going fast enough, the bike will ask you to go faster in corners because it wants to be at a 50 degree lean angle. It loves not being upright. Transitions are easy and the bike flicks left to right very much like my old R6 did.

Lastly, the suspension. The bikes setup is definitely soft from the factory. Making the front end as stiff as we could, with my fat weight, I still ran out of travel. On high speed corners this made the front end start to push wide. If I tried to take the speed up a notch I would miss the apex by about a foot due to that push. But that's a simple spring upgrade. The rear shock was phenomenal. The suspension stayed settled and my tire wear was very even left to right (on a track with 90% right turns).

So those are my first impressions and figured I'd share. Below are a few shots from this weekend :) Please ignore the dirty leathers.... they got a little scuffed up from my high side back in december lol.

Attachments

· WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,626 Posts
Awesome review my man!!! :thumbup I am spending a few days at ACS at the end of the month... Friday/Sat trackdays and racing on Sunday :crash Loving the positive feedback this bike is receiving... Especially from an S1000RR guy :yesnod

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for a good review. What did you torque the front and rear sprocket nuts to?
We didn't pull the front sprocket so not sure. Rear was a lot actually. 100 Nm I believe (if my memory serves me right). So about 74 lb-ft.

Awesome review my man!!! :thumbup I am spending a few days at ACS at the end of the month... Friday/Sat trackdays and racing on Sunday :crash Loving the positive feedback this bike is receiving... Especially from an S1000RR guy :yesnod
Ha nice!! Jealous of that lifestyle. I can't afford that many tires lol. I think it's got to be the weight difference and midrange that's giving the R1 the advantage in feel.

NICE!! I do my first track day on my M on May 2nd.....
Have fun man! You'll love it!

· Not every man really lives
3,261 Posts
We didn't pull the front sprocket so not sure. Rear was a lot actually. 100 Nm I believe (if my memory serves me right). So about 74 lb-ft.

74 ft lbs is way too much for the rear sprocket nuts. That's a good way to get the nut to seize on the stud and the stud will come out of the cush drive when trying to remove the nut. There's plenty of discussion about this on here and after having a stud come out on me before I haven't torqued sprocket nuts to the manual spec since. I don't recall the exact spec majority were recommending but it's roughly 26-32 ft lbs.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
74 ft lbs is way too much for the rear sprocket nuts. That's a good way to get the nut to seize on the stud and the stud will come out of the cush drive when trying to remove the nut. There's plenty of discussion about this on here and after having a stud come out on me before I haven't torqued sprocket nuts to the manual spec since. I don't recall the exact spec majority were recommending but it's roughly 26-32 ft lbs.
I'll have to go back and look. But we torqued it to whatever specs the manual said. I remember thinking it was high, but I've always been a stickler for following the manual.

· Gap Addicted
604 Posts
I've yet to sit on a new 2015 R1. You mentioned you came off a R6? What year?
I heard the position is narrow and I was hoping its saddle is the similar as the 06-current R6.

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing

· Banned
672 Posts
Where did you get this information from?

As per the manual for new R1:

Rear sprocket nut - 100 Nm (73 lbf)
Front sprocket nut - 125 Nm (92 lbf)
Rear axle nut - 190 Nm (140 lbf)
Front axle nut - 115 Nm (84 lbf)

· Banned
672 Posts
I didn't state it clearly in my post, but I got the information from the R1 Forum.

The torque value is the same on the R6's and even members from the R6 Forum say not to torque the nuts to 72 ft lbs.
It seems like a hell lot of a torque and certainly overkill, but the good book says that's what it suppose to be.
There seems like a lot of studs got stripped and pulled out of the carrier but I just wonder if when that happens can we ask for a free parts replacement? The workshop manual is the "how to" do it correctly so Yamaha should accept responsibility for it. Either the parts are not to specs or its a error that gets re-printed year after year.

· Not every man really lives
3,261 Posts
It seems like a hell lot of a torque and certainly overkill, but the good book says that's what it suppose to be.
There seems like a lot of studs got stripped and pulled out of the carrier but I just wonder if when that happens can we ask for a free parts replacement? The workshop manual is the "how to" do it correctly so Yamaha should accept responsibility for it. Either the parts are not to specs or its a error that gets re-printed year after year.

It's no question what the manual says and I'm glad you're following it to the T, but I'm set that it's too high regardless of what the good ol' book states.

As for getting free replacement parts, I'm sure that's plausible but I'd rather skip the down time waiting on the dealership for parts or having to convince them to replace it otherwise. Put some loctite on the stud, torque it back down into the sprocket carrier, and call it a day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.