Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So my 2015 R1 will be a track only bike. Unfortunately, my Sharkskinz will not be shipping for another 3 weeks I'm told. So I will be running stock bodywork with all the light, mirrors, etc removed. I've gotten everything off except for the headlights.

Does anyone know how to pull off the headlights in the easiest way possible? I want to refrain from removing all the side fairings if possible for time at this point (So I can remove the stock body work once, aka when I have my race fairings) and was hoping there was a quick way from under the front fairing to unbolt the lights and drop them out. I kind of am looking to run how Cameron Beaubier tested the R1 out in the Road to Austin teaser videos originally.

Thoughts? Might be good little trick as well for guys who will be track and street riding their bikes.

Thanks in advance!

· kickin' at the darkness
10,318 Posts
hope this helps, its the only pic of 'em removed i've seen :dunno

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
Wow... I was kinda under the impression that the headlights were going to be fairly simple to remove with this bike being "developed with the track in mind."

Guess not? :dunno

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hope this helps, its the only pic of 'em removed i've seen :dunno

Oh wow. This definitely helps, didn't think that the whole bracket would have to be removed. More of a pain than I was hoping, but now I can look and see if the bracket can be removed easily at least. Thanks for the pic! Where'd you find this pic?

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you located mirror blockoffs ,predrilled oil fill cap, and drilled oil drain plug?
No mirror block offs yet. But since this is temporary until my Shark Skinz arrive, I'm just going to leave the holes and zip tie through the main fairing stay for this track day. As for the drilled oil plugs, I usually have my buddy Dustin @ DTR motorsports take care of that for me :)

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
Can you let us know if that whole thing can be removed fairly easily? I'm rather curious myself. Thanks!

10,318 Posts
No mirror block offs yet. But since this is temporary until my Shark Skinz arrive, I'm just going to leave the holes and zip tie through the main fairing stay for this track day. As for the drilled oil plugs, I usually have my buddy Dustin @ DTR motorsports take care of that for me :)

yeah i figured it would, its one piece, pic was posted on FB by that german shop who dynoed the bike... i grabbed the pic off their page

link below has a link to their FB page as well

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477441&highlight=german+r1

i can see at least two spots where quick release bolts go in, likely something to do with the fairings, so yes you likely have to remove something else to get at them

· Premium Member
12,695 Posts

10,318 Posts
hahaha, will do... sorry :lol

· Registered
261 Posts
It was fantastic straight away, the only issue I had was that it needed a turn of pre load & 4 clicks of compression on the rear shock to stop it lifting the front wheel out of every corner. I also found myself having to stand it up mid corner as I was trying to ride it like my old 14b & forcing it to go round corners. I was only 2 secs a lap slower on my new one & that was without pushing as it was a cold day.
Lee

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was fantastic straight away, the only issue I had was that it needed a turn of pre load & 4 clicks of compression on the rear shock to stop it lifting the front wheel out of every corner. I also found myself having to stand it up mid corner as I was trying to ride it like my old 14b & forcing it to go round corners. I was only 2 secs a lap slower on my new one & that was without pushing as it was a cold day.
Lee
Very nice! I'm curious about how stiff the stock internals are on this model. I'm 205 lbs and refuse to stop going to the gym so I've always had to keep upgrading my spring rates. I'm hearing great things about the stock setup on this bike though. This weekend will be the test!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.