Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 2346 Posts

·
Semi-famous old guy
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else get a letter? Just got mine today telling there's a problem and parts will be @ the dealer mid-december.

"The transmission gears, both wheel and pinion of 2nd gear, may break due to extremely high stress and or improper transmission operation due to inadequate component strength and stress concentration to the tooth land. 3rd and 4th wheel gears, the gears may be deformed due to excessive stress by hard usage due to inadequate component strength. In the worst case, the gears may break."

Scary, especially for those of us that race on the regular........:surprise:

·
My R1 eats everything.
286 Posts
Anyone else get a letter? Just got mine today telling there's a problem and parts will be @ the dealer mid-december.

"The transmission gears, both wheel and pinion of 2nd gear, may break due to extremely high stress and or improper transmission operation due to inadequate component strength and stress concentration to the tooth land. 3rd and 4th wheel gears, the gears may be deformed due to excessive stress by hard usage due to inadequate component strength. In the worst case, the gears may break."

whelp, that sucks!

·
I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,659 Posts

Can you post a pic of the letter or is there some reference #?

·
Semi-famous old guy
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you post a pic of the letter or is there some reference #?
My scanner is fubar at the moment otherwise I would have posted it. I'll try and use the one @ work and post it up tomorrow. There was no recall notice number on the letter.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Well I'm not letting anyone around here open up my engine to fix something that isn't broken. Not even maybe. Most of these shops can't change a tire without wrecking something. 6200km and bike shifts smoother than any other bike I've owned or ridden. Interested to hear more about this recall though...

·
Aperture Science Rider
300 Posts
I've not received this letter yet and I was at the dealer this morning and he did not mention it. Anybody know if this is limited to a subset of bikes?

·
Semi-famous old guy
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I'm not letting anyone around here open up my engine to fix something that isn't broken. Not even maybe. Most of these shops can't change a tire without wrecking something. 6200km and bike shifts smoother than any other bike I've owned or ridden. Interested to hear more about this recall though...
I kinda feel the same way. But I'm on extremely good terms with the local dealer(used to work for them). So if anything I'll have them call me once the parts are in and I'll make the decision then.

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
I kinda feel the same way. But I'm on extremely good terms with the local dealer(used to work for them). So if anything I'll have them call me once the parts are in and I'll make the decision then.
sell it. that's what I'm going to do. there's no way anyone other than graves motorsports is opening up my engine.

1 - 20 of 2346 Posts