Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Witchcraft Racing R1
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I dive head first into the pool, best that I ask the group. Why? Because I simply do not know. (conflicting information)

Are the OEM wheels on the 2015-up R1/R1M cast or forged magnesium ?

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
1,092 Posts
The R1S wheels are cast aluminum. The R1 and R1M (2015-2018) wheels are all cast Magnesium.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Witchcraft Racing R1
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Thought they were cast. Difficult to find anything in print (from Yamaha) regarding the process used for manufacturing the wheels. They sure brag about the word "magnesium". More on that subject later.

My purpose in starting this thread is to perhaps educate and info those interested in not only their OEM wheels, but what is available in the aftermarket. Somewhat tailored after the really nice wheel thread over on the Aprilia Forum.

First and perhaps foremost, let's get some of the bullshit out of the way. Those looking to have a spare set of OEM style wheels may have run into this already. I did, head first.
Here is the link to the ebay site and the OEM wheels being offered there.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Front-Wheel-Rim-For-Yamaha-YZF-R1-YZFR1-2015-2017-Black-US-Stock/263876801120?epid=542972066&hash=item3d70487260

There are a vast number of sellers trying their best to sell you these "knock off" OEM wheels. The price offered is enticing. Given my personal experience and the information on the Aprilia thread, I smelled something foul. Hmmmm, a number of them sure like to bounce around that CNC word. But no one was providing the raw material process. That being Cast or Forged. So I picked one (clearly stated numerous times the word CNC) vendor and wrote to them, asking: Are your wheels cast or forged? They replied with,
"they are forged - CNC aluminum". Having current OZ wheels in the forged Aluminum format and knowing that they are similar in weight to the cast magnesium, my curiosity heighten.

So I pulled the trigger and ordered just the front wheel. The minute I opened box and lifted out the wheel, I knew that I had been taken. ****ing boat anchor. Cast aluminum.
Yeah, I knew that the price was too good to be true. Morel of the story. Use me as your test case. Do not purchase wheels that advertise this bullshit.

·
Witchcraft Racing R1
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
More on the wheel thread. Yesterday I saw an ad on Ebay from Graves. They had two ads. One for a set (front/rear) of 2015-up OEM style R1 wheels with a YEC part number.
Gloss black in color with spacer/bearings/speed sensor ring only. No rotors, cush drive/sprocket. That ad stated Magnesium only. Nothing else.
The second ad was for only the front wheel. YEC part number again shown with the same parts (no rotors). Gloss black. I checked my YEC parts listings and the part numbers are good.

However, the second ad stated "forged magnesium". Ahhhhh. So I wrote to Graves asking for a clarification. They wrote back with an apology. Wrote that it was a clerical mistake. Hey, no biggie. I just got alittle excited about the possibility of having an OEM style wheel (stealthy) in a forged mag version. This is their original ad title heading:
"YEC Racing Front Wheel for 15-17 Yamaha R1, Forged Magnesium, Brand New!!!

I have a pair of OZ Aprilia OEM style wheels in forged magnesium. Damn nice. So for those looking at the YEC or GYTR part numbers, they are the same OEM style cast magnesium wheels. Just have some parts already installed and are in gloss black.
YEC part# 2CR-25100-70 front wheel assembly
YEC part# 2CR-25300-70 rear wheel assembly

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
you can see the casting marks on the china wheels... I'm a bit confused as to why you thought that would work out well lol. just open a paypal dispute and return them. yes and gytr wheels are just a part number that lets you order an assembled wheel instead of buying it in yamaha part number pieces. they are nothing special.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts