Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Can someone help me with this?

* I've tried the quick shifter for the 1st time today in both modes (1&2) and when I accelerate to kick it in 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. it seems a lil difficult to hit the shifter up. It's kinda rough versus pulling in the clutch to switch gears.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Thank you

·
Registered
195 Posts
The shifting is BUTTERY smooth. I don't even feel the shifts if I'm up in the revs and hard on the gas. I shift mid-corner and it's like nothing happened. Love it!

If you're put-putting along... maybe not so much?? Also, first day that I got the bike and had it on the track my shifting WASN'T smooth because my muscle memory constantly rolled off the throttle for an instant to switch. It took a few days to learn to just keep applying the throttle.

P.S. GP Shift here

·
Registered
706 Posts
I use the clutch for the slow city riding. Qs works better under hard acceleration. Also check your chain tension. If it's loose that could cause issues. However I find the qs on this bike to be almost flawless

·
Registered
27 Posts
Definitely check your chain tension and switch it over to GP style. The second hold just needs threads tapped into it and minor adjustment at the pivot and you will be all set.

Unless you want to blip up and down, then you need to look at flashtune's blipper setup.

·
RSV4 Factory now gone
324 Posts
I rode the demo R1 after 4years of RSV4's with QS, if some one had told me the R1 demo bike had Rossi's spare seamless gearbox I may well have believed them, for the first couple of shifts I had to look down to see if the gear number had changed, its just about flawless :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Might make sure that the QSS is turned on, place in the menu that has to be turned on. If it is working, it is smooth and no more than a light nudge will change gears- BAM and it is great.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Might make sure that the QSS is turned on, place in the menu that has to be turned on. If it is working, it is smooth and no more than a light nudge will change gears- BAM and it is great.
He said he had it in modes 1 and 2. Read before you reply.

The QSS doesn't work well if under light throttle. Use it when full throttle and make sure to adjust the lever to suit your boots. The factory QS may take slightly more pressure then some aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did read it, but I believe that there is another place to activate it besides the settings place on the dash. If I'm mistaken about that info, then I'm wrong, but if U read my post U would understand that I must have read it to suggest there is another way to perhaps turn it on besides the
main page.
I will go play with mine when I get it back tomorrow and see if what I'm thinking is accurate.
Thanks for your concern about my reading abilities...

;^)

·
BMWRSLO
167 Posts
If you are using it while riding slow and low RPM's, it's not gonna work very well. It's designed to be used for POWERSHIFTING and not putt-putting around town.

Get the bike up past 6K rpm under a load and see how it works :sneaky

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
Use the clutch lever if normal riding through town.
If you dont know, when you use the clutch lever it deactivates the quick shifter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've found that mine shifts well in QSS setting 2 when I'm putting around below 7k and partial throttle. Put it setting 1 and twist the throttle and get serious and it shifts firmly and in miliseconds, continously accelerating.
So it works for me on my own R1 perfectly every time I use it, which is maybe 90% of my upshifts.
It has been one of the fun things that is a first for me. Comparing it to a test ride on 14 BMW rr, this shifter works better. But I am wanting to have the up/down capabilities of this technology as the 15 BMW rr has. I'm wondering how good the aftermarket one from SBU or their supplier FT ECU is when compared to the one from BMW or as good as my Yamaha one is for upshifts, only in both directions?

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,018 Posts
in either setting (1or2) with the ftecu auto blipper... are the down shifts controlled the same way as the up shifts under each setting or do you guys think the flash changed the settings (1or2) all together?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts